Author Topic: already need a second keyboard, please help!!!  (Read 1970 times)

Offline weipim

already need a second keyboard, please help!!!
« on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 19:15:29 »
Hi all,

I am a long time admirer of mech. keyboards, and last month I just got my very first filco nkro brown switches. I had tried black widow and SS 6gv2 before on my friends' computer, and honestly I think I really miss the clicky thingy on the blue switches. So I guess I will either get a mx blue or buckling springs.

Things I hate about my Filco:

overall its been a very solid keyboard, however the lack of media keys ( i.e. volume and play pause etc) can really be inconvenient for me sometimes, and also although backlit makes the keyboard be a poser, but it would be nice to have it.

Therefore, things I would like to have on my next board:

clicky sound
media keys
macros are optional
backlit(not a must)

and honestly I am thinking of a smaller keybaord as well, like a tenkeyless or even those HHK alike.

I heard that blues from different companies can be harder/softer to hit, if that's the case, I would like it to be harder.

I know if I chose the buckling spring way, then a unicomp spacesaver will most likely be my only route, and giving up most of my requirement, so I will take this route if buckling spring is really for me and there is really no good other choice.

I am considering XARMOR ub9l(s), don't know how solid they are.

Thanks to you all in advance.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 19:20:07 »
The best bet would be the Noppoo with mx blues.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 19:30:25 »
Welcome to GeekHack! Check out the Poker Group Buy in the Group Buys section.

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 19:50:24 »
I have a Black Widow Ultimate and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 19:59:47 »
I personally tried the BW and even though I liked the click of Blue switch, I didn't like the keys layout.
My life for Aiur!

Offline Noregrebt

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 20:01:32 »
I have the BWU. While I don't have anything to compare it to, I really like it. I don't seem to have any of the issues i've heard about so far. I think it's a great buy. Especially considering the price.

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 20:01:52 »
I'll never recommend a Deck to someone.  I ordered one and returned it the same day, I despised it that much.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline Noregrebt

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 20:07:31 »
Quote from: ripster;321060
Yeah, Razer got an earful about that Function row disaster.  Surprised that made it through their vaunted "Industry Gamers Beta" program.

But then, I don't really touchtype the Function row anyway.

Are you talking about how they aren't spaced as much as a 'normal' layout? I Don't get what the big deal is. I rarely need to use those keys and they still are grouped in 4's. Doesn't bother me at all.

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 20:12:21 »
Quote from: Noregrebt;321066
Are you talking about how they aren't spaced as much as a 'normal' layout? I Don't get what the big deal is. I rarely need to use those keys and they still are grouped in 4's. Doesn't bother me at all.

Well, it bothers me when I try to play games like Sc2 with it. I always miss the F1 for idle workers and when I try to relocate it, I'm already messed up my other key strokes.

Probably takes time to get used to it. Once you're used to the layout, its fine.
My life for Aiur!

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 21:52:39 »
Quote from: canon.tk;321059
I'll never recommend a Deck to someone.  I ordered one and returned it the same day, I despised it that much.

Why's that?
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline arc2

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 22:45:30 »
Quote from: ripster;321048
Get the backlit Black Widow.   Not fully NKRO but good enough and the macro programming is quite slick.[/url]

Good enough for you maybe but certainly not good enough for playing BF2 online for example.

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 23:31:51 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;321145
Why's that?

I know there are people out there that think Decks are the best made keyboard in the world and you could use it as a weapon and all that crap, I hardly think so.

The keyboard looked and felt so cheaply made and the look of the key caps was so awful that I couldn't see using it.  

The jacked up space bar is what pushed me over to returning it.  I was just really lucky one of the LEDs was dead, otherwise I'd have to pay the restocking fee.  Wasted $30 on shipping it to and from.

Offline What is X?

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 02:18:26 »
Blackwidow Ultimate... really your only choice.