Author Topic: Reprogramming keys?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Cloud

Reprogramming keys?
« on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 01:01:42 »
Hi all, i did spend some time searchin for info about this here and didnt find anything, so sorry if theres a huge thing coverin this already. I'm also not sure this is the right forum, if not mods please move to where it will be better, thanks.

Yes those obnoxious windows keys. God i hate them. Why do they exist? Wish i could make them more useful. Or at least less obnoxious. Basically im jus lookin for somethin that can re-program keys on a keyboard, pretty sure somethin like this exists. I basically want to be able to use some windows keys in games that i otherwise would never (want to) press.

My concerns with this is what impact will it have on latency? Does it tend to have impact on latency, no matter how "negligible"? Do certain programs have less latency than others? Also what are chances it could break a keyboard?

Anyone know what are the best program(s) for this? thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2011, 01:09:06 by Cloud »

Offline speakeasy

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 01:33:14 »
Sharpkeys.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Brodie337

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 03:47:22 »
Autohotkey

Offline xwhatsit

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 05:12:44 »
Quote from: Cloud;324176
Basically im jus lookin for somethin that can re-program keys on a keyboard, pretty sure somethin like this exists.

Good idea, thinking of remapping the Windows key to an extra `t' or `g'?
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline Cloud

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 15:21:59 »
Quote from: xwhatsit;324217
Good idea, thinking of remapping the Windows key to an extra `t' or `g'?

somethin like that, im thinkin of using them for certain binds in FPS.

Offline Cloud

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 15:31:14 »
thx all so far for the suggestions, it seems like AutoHotkey suggests to remap in the registry insted of through their program, because it is more reliable?

One thing is i will be goin to LANs and needing this there, and installing/using on new PCs, so somethin the most hassle free and reliable to work is important.

Offline xwhatsit

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 18:21:27 »
Quote from: Cloud;324476
somethin like that, im thinkin of using them for certain binds in FPS.

I think an extra `g' would definitely be a great idea for you.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline Cloud

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 20:30:35 »
Quote from: xwhatsit;324590
I think an extra `g' would definitely be a great idea for you.

am i missin somethin here?

Offline Cloud

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 16:19:49 »
thought so.

Offline cometbus

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 16:49:23 »
Is this for real? Where's Allen Funt?

Offline J888www

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 19:29:08 »
TYVM for the OP, it reminded me to remap the extra |\ key (on right of BackSpace) of my SIIG miniTouch to something else.

ATM I have a Orange on Black GH Keycap on there, so --------> GH it will be.

I'm sure there are many other chores/schedules/things that I have forgotten...just cannot remember... my memory is like a goldfish.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline slueth

Reprogramming keys
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 00:12:07 »
I made a autohotkey script for media functions
vol + - <<  || >> and mute
Assigned them to the wasd cluster.
If you pm me I can send it to you either compiled as .exe or the source.

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Reprogramming keys
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 11:19:58 »
Quote from: Cloud;324176
Hi all, i did spend some time searchin for info about this here and didnt find anything, so sorry if theres a huge thing coverin this already. I'm also not sure this is the right forum, if not mods please move to where it will be better, thanks.

Yes those obnoxious windows keys. God i hate them. Why do they exist? Wish i could make them more useful. Or at least less obnoxious. Basically im jus lookin for somethin that can re-program keys on a keyboard, pretty sure somethin like this exists. I basically want to be able to use some windows keys in games that i otherwise would never (want to) press.

My concerns with this is what impact will it have on latency? Does it tend to have impact on latency, no matter how "negligible"? Do certain programs have less latency than others? Also what are chances it could break a keyboard?

Anyone know what are the best program(s) for this? thanks!
Speakeasy has the right idea.  I also use Sharkeys.  It is a very simple program that updates a registry entry and allows you to remap one key at a time.  The only issue is that you can't do a key swap.  For example, I am currently typing on my 1987 model M keyboard that has no Windows key, and I need that functionality at times.   Using Sharpkeys made remapping my left Ctrl to be my Windows key with just a few mouse clicks.  When I checked the registry, the new entry was there.  If there is any latency, I haven't noticed it, but then again, I'm not a gamer so to speak.  The games I play are not very condusive for keyboard play, however there are a lot of keyboard commands.  

For my use, Sharpkeys was the perfect solution.  Just my 2 cents worth.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------