Author Topic: Need alps swiches/keycap replacement suggestions  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Cata1yst

Need alps swiches/keycap replacement suggestions
« on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 22:51:43 »
So basically ive got a dell AT101 tenkeyless worklog here. http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:16754 (that none of you have commented on :( )

The switches feel gross to me and the keycaps arent in exactly prime condition. So ive come down to replacing them. Ive got a pair of simplified type 2 alps that i do actually like the feel of, and i absolutely adore the feel of the monteray blues that came in the siig minitouch that i have for sale.

Anyone have any alps switch suggestions? From what i could work out the greens/oranges have a very similar nature to the blacks, and if theyre close to the blacks, i have this gut feeling that i will not like it. Any suggestions? I kinda need it to be more easily sourced than the blues, as a northgate is commanding huge price premiums.

Does anyone have a particular keyboard that they could suggest harvesting keycaps from? As far as i can work out only the NEXT has doubleshots for alps? I dont mind lasered or dye sublimated.

worst come to worst ill dye these at101w keycaps for some extra flair.

PS: its not possible to swap alps for cherries is it?

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 23:55:17 »
For white switches, try a DSI/Solidtek ASK-6600U.  very cheap, nice switches.

For doubleshots, Focus boards can supply.  The FK-9200 is rubberdome, but features doubleshot alps-compatible keycaps at least in the one I saw.

However, most, if not all, cheap Alps boards with doubleshots have big enters.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 08:22:22 »
Quote from: Cata1yst;324738
PS: its not possible to swap alps for cherries is it?

Nope - nor will Montereys fit.

You can try lubing them black switches and see whether you like the feel then. Apparently that can make a big difference.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 09:39:41 »
I would seriously try cleaning the black ones first. I thought they felt gross too when I first got them, gritty, nasty, hard to press, etc.

Disassembling and cleaning them worked like magic.

And what worked even better (for me) was swapping in dampened sliders from an AEKII. Personally, I prefer the feel of those, but it's definitely a personal choice.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Cata1yst

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 10:10:35 »
im going to try cleaning it up. Theres a leading edge keyboard that ive been eyeballing that looks like it might be a one stop shop with doubleshots and alps blues.

Can anyone comment on Blues vs Orange vs Green?

EDIT: theyre clean. Ill give lubing them a shot for fun.

I removed the tactile leaf spring and realized or hypothesize its the high actuation point and almost lack of a tactile bump that i dont get along with.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2011, 10:45:06 by Cata1yst »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 21:19:04 »
I hear Blue and White are a lot alike.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Cata1yst

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 01:20:42 »
Bleh, im getting more and more discouraged at finding proper Alps parts.

would the cherry switch fit inside of an alps backplate? I might just end up manually wiring everything in to one of those NKRO controllers if they will fit.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 01:42:47 »
I have a set of doubleshot Black/white Alps keys with red cyrillic letters on them as well. ANSI layout with big enter. Want some pics?
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 01:50:32 »
Want vintage AT101 dyesub keycaps? I have a bag full just sitting on my desk.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Cata1yst

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 09:06:39 »
Quote from: Ascaii;329029
I have a set of doubleshot Black/white Alps keys with red cyrillic letters on them as well. ANSI layout with big enter. Want some pics?

Quote from: REVENGE;329035
Want vintage AT101 dyesub keycaps? I have a bag full just sitting on my desk.

Sure, just PM me guys. Keycaps are kinda whats bothering me atm, if i can sort out keycaps then i can allocate funds to finding a good conditiion donor board for switches.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 09:27:52 »
A lot of people like the AEKII with tactile leaves removed. Might feel too close to a rubber dome for your taste, though. And *most* of the keys are swappable, though some are rotated relative to everyone else.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Pylon

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 13:50:10 »
If you want switches and caps, the old-logo Dell AT101s (non-W) have a possibility of having pink/orange Alps (they probably also have dye subbed keys).

Here's one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-DELL-Enhanced-Keyboard-old-dell-logo-/190517761839?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2c5bbe572f

Offline CurtisLeon

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 18:16:34 »
Quote from: Pylon;329351
If you want switches and caps, the old-logo Dell AT101s (non-W) have a possibility of having pink/orange Alps (they probably also have dye subbed keys).

Here's one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-DELL-Enhanced-Keyboard-old-dell-logo-/190517761839?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2c5bbe572f

I'm fairly certain that, that's either a Dell branded Model M or a rubber dome. I don't remember any AT101's that looked like that.
Currently Using

Space Invaders: NMB RTRT8255CW+
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W
Foam & Foil: BTC 5339SX

In Storage

White ALPS (complicated): Focus FK-2001, Reveal KB-7061 (Chicony rebrand), PC Concepts KB-7000 (Chicony rebrand)
Orange ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard (modded to ghetto Blue ALPS)
Peerless: Fujitsu FKB4700
Foam & Foil: LR 69497 (unknown make, terminal keyboard)

Offline Pylon

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 19:36:40 »
Actually, good catch. I thought that it was an AT101 but the picture is pretty obvious. My apologies.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 22:30:14 »
I really like the dyesub AT101 keycaps. They're made of thick plastic and have a nice texture. It's too bad that Pink ALPS is so overrated.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 23:49:52 »
Quote from: ripster;329811
SGI Granites are even thicker.
Show Image
They almost look exactly the same, save for the fonting. That SGI font is quite nice.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Cata1yst

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 13:48:03 »
Are the beam spring alps swappable with regular alps?

Anyone know if the p75 keyboard is plate moutned?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 April 2011, 14:16:43 by Cata1yst »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 16:54:14 »
Quote from: Ascaii;329029

Yes, please!
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.