Author Topic: Keyboard skin (sorry if this is a repeat)  (Read 3054 times)

Offline poco

Keyboard skin (sorry if this is a repeat)
« on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 17:05:00 »
My office is looking to purchase a couple of silicone keyboard skins for our generic Dell rubber dome keyboards. Does anyone know where to find them cheap?
Ducky 1087 - MX Black | Leopold tenkeyless - MX Brown

Offline Izza

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 22:24:52 »
Which generic Dell rubber dome keyboard?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline poco

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 23:59:12 »
L100

Offline Izza

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 02:44:15 »
For the cost of a cover, you can buy a few replacement boards.

Seems pointless IMHO.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline poco

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 16:44:01 »
Well, I was looking for a skin that costs $10 - $20, and the replacement boards are around the same price. So seeing how a skin would keep us from having to purchase multiple keyboards, it actually would be cost effective.

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 17:02:55 »
yeah, but the skin makes a lousy keyboard even lousier to use.  Just buy a few backup boards.

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 17:06:42 »
http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbprtect.htm

I think that's what you're looking for... I'm telling you though, those things feel awful to type on, I have to use those at work.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Izza

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 20:02:07 »
Quote from: poco;326970
Well, I was looking for a skin that costs $10 - $20, and the replacement boards are around the same price. So seeing how a skin would keep us from having to purchase multiple keyboards, it actually would be cost effective.

To be cost effective, I'd recommend replacing those ****ty domes with an inexpensive mechanical. Any decent BS, Alps, or Cherry, switch-based board should outlast a dome with or without a silicone cover.

That, and you won't have that "kill me now, God" feeling after typing on it for > 10 minutes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline turkey

Specific Keyboard Skins for Specific Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 07:28:16 »
Quote from: poco;326970

You should note that keyboard skins are custom fit, so anything you buy will have to be matched to the exact model of keyboard you want to protect (DELL L100 keyboard in your case). Companies like Hooleon.COM, FenTek-Ind.COM and CompuCover.COM definitely sell custom-fit keyboard skins, but whether they have the one that will fit the DELL L100 keyboard is a separate issue. You will have to contact the companies directly and ask about their product availability. They will probably ask you to provide them with your keyboard brand and model number and/or pictures of your keyboard so that they can have a look through their inventory to see if they already have the keyboard skin in stock.

If they do not have the right keyboard skin for you, they might still be able to produce it, provided you are willing to order a certain minimum quantity from them. Hopefully, you will have enough keyboards lying around in your office to make this worthwhile if you decide to go down this route.

Alternatively, it is also possible to buy disposable keyboard skins that are not custom-fit to any keyboard, like this kind. You can still type with this kind of keyboard skin covering the keyboard, but I do not imagine that it would do wonders for your typing accuracy or pleasure. Like the description says, it is a bit like giving your keyboard a shower cap to wear. If you must have a keyboard skin, then the custom-fit keyboard skins are definitely the way to go.

Offline turkey

Possible DELL L100 Keyboard Skin on CompuCover.COM
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 14:34:46 »
Quote from: poco;325990
L100

Hey poco, have a look at this webpage and check whether this is the exact keyboard skin for your DELL L100 keyboard. You only have code numbers to go on since there aren't any pictures, so you'll probably have to e-mail the company to confirm.

The good news is that if you have indeed found the exact matching keyboard skin you require, then you will be able to buy in quantities as small as a single piece (no minimum order required since they already have it in their inventory). You also have the option to choose between antiglare (looks a little like frosted plastic), clear (looks like the plastic used to hold paper to the inside of car windscreens) and anti-microbial (not sure what this looks like).