Author Topic: Ergonomic idea's.  (Read 3648 times)

Offline deltaspirit

Ergonomic idea's.
« on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 14:03:12 »
Hey ub3r d00ds.

I've been using my FILCO majestouch NKRO MX black for a while now along with a steelseries 5L, I picked up a BNIB steelseries ikari optical last week to replace my uncomfortable deathadder original. I used to have some really bad spasms on my WASD hand where my pinky would just jump around by itself, I assume this is due to sitting below my desks height so I would have to have the edge of my table digging into the bottom of my forearm. Basically I was sitting too low so I got a new table and now my hand does not have any issues and everything is great, but I was looking to my my mouse and keyboard more ergonomic, by possible getting some sugru to mold to my mouse and I was looking at getting some wrist wrests for both the keyboard and mouse. What would you guys recommend in wrist wrests or general ergonomic accesories?

I want to keep the same keyboard, mouspad and mouse.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 15:24:17 »
Did you see a doctor about the spasms?

If you won't change your equipment, then you'll need to change how you use it.

You could use the mouse with your left.  Takes a while, but totally worth it.

Limit your computer use to something sensible.  Rest breaks are good.

Get out and get some exercise.  Going for a week without seeing the sun is not right (just saying).
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline deltaspirit

Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 16:02:27 »
Quote from: hoggy;326272
Did you see a doctor about the spasms?

If you won't change your equipment, then you'll need to change how you use it.

You could use the mouse with your left.  Takes a while, but totally worth it.

Limit your computer use to something sensible.  Rest breaks are good.

Get out and get some exercise.  Going for a week without seeing the sun is not right (just saying).

Nope, they went away after I changed my position, been a few months. That's just like a backstory, I'm looking for wrist pads now and getting a herman miller chair soon.

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 16:44:47 »
Quote from: deltaspirit;326290
Nope, they went away after I changed my position, been a few months. That's just like a backstory, I'm looking for wrist pads now and getting a herman miller chair soon.

Someone on here had posted a chair that was just like the Herman Miller but something like $100 on Amazon...I hope he swings by here and drops that link on us so we can save some money :p

And I had never used a wrist wrest for typing til today. I think I'm the only Geekhacker that doesn't use one. It was a piece of crap foam one at FedEx Kinkos but...it...felt...awesome! I'm going to buy a cheap one off Amazon now, I don't see the need to have a real leather one yet :p
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline symphonic1985

Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 03:40:56 »
Re: Sugru. That should work well. I stuck some to a Cherry keycap and it adhered without a problem. Actually I'm going to mold a small amount to the sides and back of my WMO to make it's shape slightly closer to the IME 3.0. (Pinky wants a better rest position). Before I commit to opening another Sugru packet I'm experimenting with plasticine under some nice feeling grippy tennis tape. That actually is working great already

The plasticine is also excellent for DIY wrist rests. Put it in some plastic, put fabric on top, and whammo, moldable wrist rest.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 15:33:15 »
Quote from: .XL;326322
And I had never used a wrist wrest for typing til today. I think I'm the only Geekhacker that doesn't use one.

I don't think so. ;) That being said, resting my thumbs on the front lip of a G80-3000 does work but is hardly the very definition of maximum comfort.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Lanx

Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 15:09:07 »
holy crap dude spasms sound bad, i'd seriously look at how your shoulder to your hands are aligned when you use the computer and such, replacing the chair/desk even monitor adjustment might change it all for you.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 15:11:13 »
I always thought most Geekhackers didn't use wrist rests. I don't.

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 16:47:29 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;327521
I always thought most Geekhackers didn't use wrist rests. I don't.

...my assumptions may be off. I created a poll in the poll section to see what the real story is :p
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline Lanx

Ergonomic idea's.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 17:54:47 »
wrist wrests are awesome, if you use them on your palms rather than your wrist that is. My palms always rest on the "wrist wrests" and have been for at least 5 years since getting the microsoft ergo 4k.