Author Topic: Is it just the pics, or is the Realforce 86UB spacebar actually that wide?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline thirdkind

I'm really thrilled with my Filco Linear R. So much so, in fact, that I'm going to try something else for no good reason at all.

I was thinking about the RealForce 86UB. While I prefer otaku (I'm a Dvorak typist and rearranging keys only works when they're uniform), the black-on-black seems like a reasonable compromise. My problem with 86UB is that the spacebar looks absolutely huge. I hit the cmd key a lot by sliding my thumb over to it. Based on the size of that spacebar, I feel like I'm really going to have to stretch my thumbs quite a bit in order to reach cmd...that or switch to another finger and reach down.

I also looked at the HHK2, but I'm scared of the lack of dedicated function and arrow keys. Also, only 2 keys on either side of the spacebar? How does that work? As a Mac user, I use ctrl/alt/cmd all the time. I suppose the only way to know is to try, and I'm guessing the resale value would be fairly decent.

These are the only currently available Topre boards, correct?

Offline RiGS

Is it just the pics, or is the Realforce 86UB spacebar actually that wide?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 17:16:05 »
Get the 87UB from Leopold. It has a shorter spacebar.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 17:51:43 »
Control, Alt, and Command are all accessible with just your left hand. Control is to the left of A, where Caps Lock normally is. While this is superior for UNIX use, it does bother some touch typists due to the lack of symmetry (there's only the single control key).

The lack of dedicated function keys and arrow keys is a total non-issue after a few days of use. And if you're using a Mac, the media controls are located on ASDF, rather than the function row.

I wouldn't trade my HHKB for any other keyboard, honestly. But the layout does take some getting used to, especially if you aren't a UNIX person.

Oh, and the 87ub Rigs is espousing? Yeah, that's well over $300 by the time it gets to you.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 17:53:54 »
Quote from: RiGS;330201
Get the 87UB from Leopold. It has a shorter spacebar.

How besides a third party which makes the cost crazy
I would like a 104 then if its cheap enough

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 19:54:07 »
Quote from: kalrykh;330252
Just got my 86ub. Yes, the space bar is longer because there's no right windows key, which I don't use anyway.

Aye, I kind of wish it was still there because I DO use that in OS X for command + T specifically. Not a big deal though.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 19:32:45 »
Quote from: theferenc;330227
Oh, and the 87ub Rigs is espousing? Yeah, that's well over $300 by the time it gets to you.

Is that really much more than what an HHK2 or 86UB costs? Elite Keyboards has these two for $275 and $265 respectively, plus shipping. Once you start down the path of $250+ keyboards, what's another few dollars?

The one thing I do like about the HHK2 is that it has 45g switches across the board, which might be more to my liking considering how much I enjoy the reds.

I suppose the resale on these is high enough that it's worth the cost of possibly not liking them.

Offline Nautilus

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 20:13:25 »
Quote from: Chobopants;330296
Aye, I kind of wish it was still there because I DO use that in OS X for command + T specifically. Not a big deal though.

Yeah, I use the Windows key all the time.
Cherry Blues: Das Keyboard Professional S, Leopold Tenkeyless
Cherry Browns: Filco Tenkeyless (on the way)
Rubber Dome: QSENN DT-35 (aka SEM DT-35)
Mice: Razer Abyssus, Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 22:11:13 »
Fortunately with my 4 monitors, the HHKB works just fine for those shortcuts, ripster.

And to the OP, it was going to be about $320 for a friend to bring me one from Korea. So that was without shipping and fees for a third party broker.

If I had to guess, it would be close to $400, all told. So we aren't just talking about a few dollars, here.

Also, I didn't realize the HHKB had gone up that much. It was under $250 when I got it, shipped.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 22:43:07 »
The single left ctrl key on the HHK2 isn't a problem because I don't use the right ctrl key at all. However, it looks like the arrow keys will be a problem because I use a Dvorak layout, meaning those keys will be scattered across the board. Is there a way around that?

The more I look at it, the more I'm digging the compact layout. If I could get around the arrow key issues, I'd probably take the plunge.

woody

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 05:00:39 »
Quote from: thirdkind;331148
However, it looks like the arrow keys will be a problem because I use a Dvorak layout, meaning those keys will be scattered across the board.

No. The Fn layer is where it is. The Dvorak layout is a figment of your OS' imagination.

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 05:56:57 »
Quote from: woody;331232
No. The Fn layer is where it is. The Dvorak layout is a figment of your OS' imagination.

Awesome. Didn't know it was hardwired. Looks like there's an HHK2 in my future...as soon as Elite Keyboards gets some blank black ones in, anyway.

Thanks guys.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 09:28:14 »
For what it's worth, most people find the printed black one to be "blank enough". While I've never had a problem reading the keys when I do bother to look, my work area is very well lit.

They don't exactly stand out, is what I'm trying to say. Just to toss this out there, in case you don't want to wait.

You could also try the Amazon seller USER_SIDE. They often have them. Not sure if they have blank black at the moment, but a friend just purchased a blank white one from them.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 09:36:36 »
oOoooo, thats a smexy keyboard ^^^
AF | Ducky YOTD |