Author Topic: TG3 BL82 for gaming?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline foliolio

TG3 BL82 for gaming?
« on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 11:08:26 »
Ok folks, this board hasn't been discussed extensively here. It ticks lotsa boxes (backlit, small form factor, cherry blacks, build to last, affordable) but what's the verdict regarding its KRO-capabilities? At least older (?) versions were only 2KRO, which would be fine if the area around WASD was somewhat optimised, but is it? I read on the wiki it fails the QWA-combination - is this only for the usb-version or am I likely to be disappointed expecting anything more from a PS/2-native unit?

These are selling for $80/a piece on eBay, apparently new units. After shipping and taxes it would work out to be 90€, which would be ok but too much for me to spend on something not suitable for gaming... My second option would be to wait until I go to China in the summer and then pick up something like a KBC Poker with reds (actually I might do this regardless).

Thanks for any advice that shall be forthcoming.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
TG3 BL82 for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 18:05:22 »
I've gamed on a Deck 82 and a TG3 82. Both were about as responsive, and acceptable. FWIW I had a 2KRO Deck and TG3.

Data points:
- I also find gaming acceptable with the 2KRO on the ricercar SPOS MX, and G80-11900.
- I don't find a Model M 2KRO or Cherry blues acceptable for gaming. The blocking on the former and the hysteresis on the latter kill me too often.

YMMV
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 April 2011, 18:09:19 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline foliolio

TG3 BL82 for gaming?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 00:16:20 »
Ok cheers for the input lads, much appreciated.

Quote from: ricercar;331008
I've gamed on a Deck 82 and a TG3 82. Both were about as responsive, and acceptable. FWIW I had a 2KRO Deck and TG3.

Did yours connect through PS/2 or USB? Did you play FPS-games i.e. did you experience "crouching diagonally while reloading your weapon" -type situations? I could get a Deck 82 Toxic through www.activekey.de for 154€ delivered but wouldn't mind saving some 64€ by taking the TG3-route.

Quote from: ripster
Kinda expensive for what you get and a very very very old design.

Yea it's well dear innit, esp. after the shipping & taxes... But I keep looking at the market and asking myself, what else is there, that's illuminated and sports a similarly nimble form-factor? Then again, life is about making compromises...

For some reason, these TG3/Deck 82 fascinate me.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
TG3 BL82 for gaming?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 17:22:13 »
My TG3 82BL has PS/2.
My Deck Toxic 82 has USB.

• The TG3 was heavier, with a steel base plate vs Deck's aluminum base plate, and felt somewhat more robust thereby. Both my TG3 keyboards have a gravitas my Deck board lacked.
  • Decks default with backlight on high, and TG3s default with backlight off.
  • Decks have a USB cable with a LED inside, which is kinda cool. It's USB A to USB B (internal), and thus easily replaceable, where the TG3 cable has an internal pin connector that would be non-trivial to replace.
  • They both behaved basically identically, considering key feel and RO/blocking functionality. Each had 2KRO, mostly because the Deck was manufactured a long time ago (recent Decks are all 6KRO).

Despite my inherent nKRO rollover snobbishness, 2KRO is sufficient for hardcore L4D|2, light CounterStrike Source gaming. Either I never crouch+mvdiagonal+reload (possible), or I re-press Reload without noticing, or the 2KRO keyboards handle it gracefully.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.