Author Topic: Buying Filco/Ducky/Leopold from Canada?  (Read 4395 times)

Offline tase

Buying Filco/Ducky/Leopold from Canada?
« on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:34:08 »
I've been looking around for some time, thinking of buying a new keyboard, a mechanical one with brown Cherry switches. Problem is that I'm in Canada.

Elitekeyboards has their Leopolds, but at that price (110$+30$S&H+Customs) I would like to get a full-size, and not tenkeyless.

I haven't seen any Filcos around really, and Duckies are hard to get imported. I've considered PCHome, but again, the price is pretty high, 140$+??$ (50$)+Customs.

I hope some other Canadian buyers have suggestions for me, this 5-year old G15 is falling apart.

PS: I'm also on the fence picking between tenkeyless or not.
PPS: Don't like the Das style.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 15:51:46 »
you can get fullsize filcos from Amazon. If you need help to get it to Canada, I will be more than happy to do it for you.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline tase

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 16:06:32 »
Yea I've seen those, but the fullsize browns are out of stock / not available, and like you said, they don't ship to Canada.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 16:22:53 »
You may not necessarily be hit by customs/tax from EK (and US shipments in general), it's a gamble.

Your best option is KeyboardCo directly (not in stock yet either) or used. Having someone buy from Amazon to ship to you is just going to make you pay shipping twice anyways.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline sam113101

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 17:40:25 »
You could get a DAS from NCIX, it's Canadian so you won't have to pay for shipping and customs.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 18:15:32 »
Quote from: Vittra;332350
You may not necessarily be hit by customs/tax from EK (and US shipments in general), it's a gamble.

Your best option is KeyboardCo directly (not in stock yet either) or used. Having someone buy from Amazon to ship to you is just going to make you pay shipping twice anyways.

This is not necessarily true. It would probably be cheaper to get off amazon and get it shipped to Canada than to buy off keyboardo directly. As long as the guy buying it for you has amazon prime!
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline Philth

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 18:53:58 »
I bought my tenkeyless ducky directly from PcHome. Just use google chrome's built in translator and the buying guide you can find on the forums to navigate through it. Shipping was a flat-rate $20 USD and I didn't get hit with any import duties either. On top of all that it was here in a week and a half (pretty impressive considering I've waited longer for packages arriving from within Canada). Goodluck!

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 19:10:47 »
Quote from: .XL;332415
This is not necessarily true. It would probably be cheaper to get off amazon and get it shipped to Canada than to buy off keyboardo directly. As long as the guy buying it for you has amazon prime!

Yes, I have prime
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 19:25:56 »
Quote from: .XL;332415

I forgot about Prime! Good catch. Hopefully we can have the features and selection Amazon has north of the border at some point in the future.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline NOMiS

• http://teamvga.com
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 19:35:23 »
I ordered a Filco from EK, and didn't have to pay duties. Not really much you can do when ordering from the US. You basically get screwed. Like paying $12 to ship two key caps, or $30 for a free keyboard.
Steelseries Xai
Poker X KBC (Red)

Offline .XL

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 21:45:45 »
Quote from: noodles256;332431
Yes, I have prime

@OP - I think since noodles so graciously offered to pick up the keyboard for you you should take him up on the offer. As long as he marks the keyboard as a gift with ~$35 value and sends it from a personal address you should not have to worry about any taxes or duties being added!
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline Nautilus

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 21:58:11 »
I get hit by customs about once every seven or so large orders from out of country. Keep in mind, though, that that is through standard mail. If you go with a carrier like UPS or FedEx, you should be charged tax and brokerage fees.

I recommend both EliteKeyboards (took about a week and a half to arrive via USPS) and KeyboardCo (took just over a week to arrive via UPS). I also recommend a tenkeyless. I have been surprised by how nice it is to better centre my keyboard now. Also, they fit in my bag nicely (yay, LAN parties!).
Cherry Blues: Das Keyboard Professional S, Leopold Tenkeyless
Cherry Browns: Filco Tenkeyless (on the way)
Rubber Dome: QSENN DT-35 (aka SEM DT-35)
Mice: Razer Abyssus, Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000

Offline tase

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 06:57:34 »
I'm actually pretty on-the-fence about the numpad because I sometimes use it, for calculation/number input, entering accented keys and some games I play use it. I'm sure it's nice to have the extra space around, but I still haven't decided for sure I can get rid of it.

As for the whole pickup thing from the US, I don't really get what fees and costs are associated with doing that. From what I understand, I send him the money and hope for the best.

As for PCHome, I checked out the site, been looking at the keyboards, and if I could get a 20$ flat rate on S&H from there, I would be happy. Did you get that deal during the promotional 20$ flat rate ?

I'm having problems with the site and Google translations, there is a bug with the quantity picker when I pass the page through Google Translation.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming, I'll go check PcHome.

EDIT: looks like PCHome indeed ships for 20$ flat rate. Now if I could just find a Cherry MX Brown Fullsize Ducky DK9008 with English Markings... They keep going out of stock... They have the mixed axis fullsize, but I don't know how I would like that (axis = switch, brown on keys, blacks on space/modifiers/arrows/insert-delete-home-etc..., blues on numpad)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2011, 07:53:55 by tase »

Offline Surly73

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:40:22 »
Unlike Nautilus, I get hit with customs on anything over $25 coming from the US 9 times out of 10 - probably even more than that.  Coming from elsewhere farther away, however, I seem to get lucky more often.

I ordered a Filco from PCHome during the $20 EMS shipping "special" just like some other people here.  It showed up in just over a week with no extra fees, in great condition.

It's just my opinion, but in my experience I would have better luck of a package from PCHome slipping through with no extra fees than from EK.  Again, just my opinion.  

Unfortunately I forgot to order a Ducky "leather" tenkeyless sized wrist rest at the same time :(

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:52:39 »
I honestly think tenkeyless is the way to go. You can get a numpad if you need it.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:57:43 »
I just picked on up (with MX Blacks) off eBay for $15...great deal IMO

Tenkeyless is nice, and having a separate 10key is also great. It allows you to move it out of your way or even place it in front of your keyboard if you need to. Frees up a lot of space.

Offline Keyboardin

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:59:04 »
I regret going with the num-pad model. It does make data entry a lot easier, but the mouse is way more convenient when you do not have one.