Author Topic: New Member, Planning to Purchase a Clicky Keyboard  (Read 2557 times)

Offline liist

New Member, Planning to Purchase a Clicky Keyboard
« on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 05:17:04 »
Hello everyone, I have finally decided to join this forum after spending all day reading articles about nice keyboards, notably Model M, Unicomp, and Cherry switch keyboards (especially Das).

I think I pretty much decided that I really want to get a Unicomp, but I want to do just a little more research before using half a week's wages to buy a new keyboard.

I'm a part-time transcriptionist for a call-in transcription company, so I do a lot of typing. I think I want to get a Unicomp Customizer or Spacesaver, but I can't decide which, so I would like a little input from you guys.

How does the Spacesaver compare with the Customizer? Does the smaller size really make a difference? I would love to get the Spacesaver to have more desk space, if it has the same feeling as the Customizer.

I currently use a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. I really don't like the feel of the keys. Would a nice-feeling mechanical keyboard help improve my speed. We get paid purely on performance/output.

And please give me your views on the Unicomp, IBM Model M, MS Ergonomic 4000, and any other keyboard you would recommend for this use.

I look forward to becoming a regular on this forum. :)
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 08:36:17 »
No, just no. A mechanical will not improve your speed. Especially not a buckling spring one.
You are coming from a different layout, different key profile and different switch type. If anything, you will be slower for a while until you adjust to all the changes.

I wish people would stop selling snake oil.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 08:48:54 »
A mechanical can help your typing speed in the sense that tactile feedback can improve your accuracy (I went from 85-90% to 95%-99% accuracy) and tactile feedback can make it more comfortable to type for long periods of time (if I type for hours, I'm fine on my Filco, whereas I had pain on my rubber dome/scissor boards). Any general WPM increase will be marginal, at best. There are people who out-type me at 150WPM on ancient rubber dome boards.

Switches are, as one might expect, a preference. Some people game fine on MX Blues; some people type fine on MX Blacks. My personal favorite would have to be MX Browns. As ripster says in the keyboard guide, there isn't a huge chance of major regret because you can quickly offload a board for slightly less than you originally paid for it in the classifieds.

On ergonomics: I used various MS Ergonomic models before switching to mechanicals. The key feel did more for me than the ergonomic curve ever did.

Offline liist

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:29:40 »
I will PM about the bolt-modded Model M right after this post.

Just like most of you, I am planning to switch to a mechanical keyboard because I just really like the feel. Even though I enjoy the ergonomic curve on the MS 4000, I just simply like to type on my ThinkPad so much more.

Of course I know that the mechanical switches won't magically improve my typing speed, but it's nice to get a decent feel from a keyboard and knowing when you hit your key. It's kind of like how the feel of the trigger can be the sole determination on how well you like a firearm.

And damn it, I really want the sound of the keyboard, even if it doesn't help all that much. I heard about someone who used to work here had a buckling spring keyboard, and another person had a $110 keyboard (probably with Cherry switches) and how nice the keyboard feels. Just makes me want a nice keyboard really badly, you know?

And muchadoaboutnothing, that's exactly what I'm looking for in a better keyboard. My accuracy on my ThinkPad is much better than the MS Ergo keyboard. And inaccuracy affects way more of your speed and throws you off when you're trying to dictate. Also, the last part is also what I'm looking for. I used to have wrist problems like crazy, and the ergo keyboard has barely helped with that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:34:29 by liist »
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 13:55:08 »
Just as a warning, many of us here either started with no mech boards or just one and have many more than that now. I only had one for the last couple of years that I was handed, and now after the last few months of being in this forum I have 8 boards (including repeats, which are there as backups) have three on the way (again, including a repeat) and am looking at a few more. I think I'm pretty much done though.

I game just fine on all of them so far, including Buckling Spring boards and the Space Invaders (feels and sounds close to cherry blues) that I'm typing on right now. I've never seen the need to hover above actuation point and fire many distinct times though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline liist

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 14:23:45 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;332868
Just as a warning, many of us here either started with no mech boards or just one and have many more than that now. I only had one for the last couple of years that I was handed, and now after the last few months of being in this forum I have 8 boards (including repeats, which are there as backups) have three on the way (again, including a repeat) and am looking at a few more. I think I'm pretty much done though.

I game just fine on all of them so far, including Buckling Spring boards and the Space Invaders (feels and sounds close to cherry blues) that I'm typing on right now. I've never seen the need to hover above actuation point and fire many distinct times though.

Just ordered the Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys (a la Das Keyboard). Might buy that bolt modded Model M if it ever comes up. Probably down the road, get a blue Cherry switch keyboard. And then maybe a hardcore ergonomic Cherry switch keyboard.

Yep, definitely going down that path, and I've been obsessed for only about 24 hours.

Offline CephalicCarnage

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 14:29:24 »
Welcome!  I bet it won't be long before you have 2 or more mechanical keyboards :P
Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Blue), Leopold Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Brown), Leopold Tenkeyless (Blue), Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numeric Pad (Brown)
In the mail: HHKB Pro2 White/Gray

WTB: G80-8113HRBUS-2 with Clear switches

Offline chimpy

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 15:57:22 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;332868
I game just fine on all of them so far, including Buckling Spring boards

As an owner of a Unicomp Spacesaver, I think it's a little loud when playing MMOs like World of Warcraft where you spam keys. I switch back to a membrane board for long gaming sessions.

Quote from: liist;332883
Just ordered the Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys (a la Das Keyboard). Might buy that bolt modded Model M if it ever comes up.

I think the quality of the Unicomp is good. Maybe it's not vintage Model M good, but my truck also doesn't have the sheetmetal a truck from 40 years ago does. Doesn't mean it still won't do the job. My 2 cents.
Unicomp SpaceSaver M -=- Happy Hacking Lite 2 -=- NeXT ADB -=- Apple Adjustable Keyboard

Offline liist

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 16:52:20 »
Quote from: CephalicCarnage;332887
Welcome!  I bet it won't be long before you have 2 or more mechanical keyboards :P

I'm already looking around and pondering what to get next. Maybe one that uses a Cherry blue switch, and an ergonomic one with cherry blue switches. I'd also like to have one with a TrackPoint since I love my ThinkPad so much. And I like your name. I don't particularly listen to Cephalic Carnage, but I do love my death metal.

Quote from: ripster;332897
Congrats!

Post pics when you get the Blank Key version. Curious what that will look like.

Did they charge extra?

I ordered black with beige keys, and they did not charge extra. I called him on the phone and he told me he could do that, and just leave that in the comments when I make the order. However, black keys would cost an extra $10.

Black keys would look much better, but this keyboard is my transcription workhorse.

Quote from: chimpy;332939
As an owner of a Unicomp Spacesaver, I think it's a little loud when playing MMOs like World of Warcraft where you spam keys. I switch back to a membrane board for long gaming sessions.

I think the quality of the Unicomp is good. Maybe it's not vintage Model M good, but my truck also doesn't have the sheetmetal a truck from 40 years ago does. Doesn't mean it still won't do the job. My 2 cents.

It seems that the people who already own IBM Model Ms don't like this. But I just absolutely need the Windows key and the USB for this job. Well with the USB, I can plug it to the front of the work computers.

I'll also need a good way to do volume controls, now that I will give up my Microsoft that has volume controls.