Author Topic: Duplicated one-handed Frogpad layout with autohotkeys  (Read 3109 times)

Offline clark

Duplicated one-handed Frogpad layout with autohotkeys
« on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 10:38:06 »
I've been using the frogpad one-hand (right hand) keyboard exclusively for 7 years. I've sort of plateaued at speed around 70wpm.

This company is in deep financial trouble, so I knew I had to think of a new solution.

I didn't want to have to relearn another layout so I decided to duplicate the keyboard using autohotkeys. I thought the heavy use of chording on the frogpad would be a problem, but autohotkeys does a pretty good job of resolving this issue. I am happy with the way everything turned out and I have successfully duplicated the layout (with chording) using this software.

The only major problem i have is that autohotkeys does not work on my main OS platform, Mac. Does anyone know any Mac software that can read .ahk scripts? Is there any better software for Mac?

I can post my script if anyone is interested (for development purposes) and I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. Thanks guys and cheers!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2011, 08:45:44 by clark »

Offline Popkeymon

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 20:20:20 »
I did not own a Frog. But I believe it would not be a problem to "copy" the layout to an ordinary KB thru AHK. But I knew that the Frog layout is patented and direct copy might inflict legal issue. Anyway, I will try work it out on weekend. Let's see what it look like to Frog your fingers on ordinary KB.

Offline Popkeymon

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 05:49:20 »
By the way, how could you type 70wpm on the Frog while I learned that people could only reach 45wpm with very intensive training on the Froggy? (well, the absurd price tag + species extinction makes the Frog never appears on my desktop. It is even more expensive than my Cherry mechanical keyboard!)

Offline clark

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 08:19:08 »
I don't need your help in cloning this keyboard anymore; I wrote the script myself.

I doubt there will be any legal repercussions because I do not plan to sell or redistribute this script in any way - it is for personal use only. My reasoning for cloning this hardware is because of my familiarity with the layout and my inability to acquire the hardware.

As for the 70wpm claim, I can show you screenshots to prove this or you can just go to the frogpad forum where there are videos of people reaching > 100wpm.

I don't know where you heard "45wpm with very intensive training." I think you were misinformed - this is the speed they claim after modest training. Please do some more research next time before bashing a product/service.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2011, 08:25:06 by clark »

Offline Popkeymon

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 18:53:35 »
Great to hear that.

I read a Frogpad review while googling the keyword 'Frogpad'. The author claims that the user manual declared that the typing speed is expected to be 45wpm with sufficient training. Anyway, speed is actually not a reason that I dislike this product.

I dislike people 'patent' the arrangement of alphebets for taking huge profits. The Frogpad is based on Dvorak research on KB layout. If it is not brand new idea, how could such "invention" be patented and charge more than my Cherry KB? Ridiculous!

I created the DAO layout just to show that one handed typing should be free to the whole world. You should not pay extra money to run the script if your KB already has a numpad.