Author Topic: Once again: Blues vs browns  (Read 3180 times)

Offline What's that? It's NEO!

Once again: Blues vs browns
« on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 14:55:40 »
I own a Cherry board with clicky blue switches and was wondering if I could "test" if I like browns but with no brown switches around with this method:

Put on big headphones and turn up the volume :music: till I cannot here the clicking anymore :typing:

Or is the tactile difference between these two switches with approx. 5grs too big to decide that way?

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 15:03:07 »
They are VERY different switches. You can't really compare the feel.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 15:05:01 »
was just trying to figure out if I "need" the audio feedback... not sure yet

Offline DeltaGunner

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 16:19:39 »
If you do alot of gaming with headphones the blues' audio feedback isn't noticeable. The click is what really helps you to know if a key actuated or not. For normal typing scenarios the browns are just fine however you may still prefer the click and clack of a blue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline manfaux

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 17:21:53 »
Quote from: What's that? It's NEO!;332906
was just trying to figure out if I "need" the audio feedback... not sure yet

I actually hate the audible click of the blues, I want my keyboard to be as quiet as possible. I like the blues because of that distinctive "click" midway.

browns are still good, i have both, blues aren't welcomed in the library.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 17:28:42 »
Quote from: manfaux;333660
I actually hate the audible click of the blues, I want my keyboard to be as quiet as possible. I like the blues because of that distinctive "click" midway.

browns are still good, i have both, blues aren't welcomed in the library.

I'm sure that what I call the beige switch could be also your favorite switch.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 03:24:06 »
As I'm rather a late nite typer and gamer (and other people tend to :sleep:) I'll just give the browns a try. See if I can handle them without bottoming out a lot. The whole headphones idea was just to dampen the click out to see if non-clicky is good for typing for me.

Offline AcidSouL

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 07:00:39 »
tell what u thing of brown when u get it...
Black Widow Elite - Quiet Modification
Logitech G3

Offline pitashen

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 08:49:15 »
looking up some youtube videos would help a bit, as far as acoustic is concerned. Typing feel you can only tell by actually trying them out.

Brown is by no mean "quiet" tho. There are still other noise contributing factors, such as key cap quality, and the overall casing design. You can still get quite a bit of "CLOACK CLOACK CLOACK" from using brown, especially if bottoming out a lot.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2011, 08:52:46 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline MrSneis

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 13:11:54 »
Speaking of which.  The sound of browns on the Filco does not equal the sound of the browns on the Leopold.  I think that the heavier keycaps and design of the casing almost have a large impact on the sound characteristics than just the switch itself.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Filco Tenkeyless-2 Blue | Leopold Tenkeyless Blue

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 01:55:56 »
I'll give it a try this weekend and figure it out. If I like them ones I'll get the brown tenkeyless, otherwise it's blue again, linear is not an option for it's mostly typing I do.

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 08:20:30 »
geez, the browns feel definitely different than the blue switches do. They are so quiet and it kinda fells like typing on butter compared to my board. Now I'm considering getting a tenkeyless with them. Well, it's way better playing without the click, just have to see how the typing is...

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 09:00:51 »
I just got a keyboard with cherry blues after typing for a few months on browns and topre. I must say I do like them quite a bit, altought I don't think that it would be respectfull to type on them full time at the office.

I'm thinking that the most life I could squeeze out of this board would be to keep it at the office for when I'm alone (pretty often) and just have some fun then. I don't think this board would really be satisfying as a gaming board, I don't know yet if i like the blues for at home but I'm pretty sure my girl dislikes them.

I'm having a small scale lan tonigh and I think I'll be bringing my blue mx board along and see how I feel about it and how annoyed my friends will get :D

BTW the game we'll be playing is SC2 and yes I do spam quite a bit.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 09:51:14 »
Quote from: NormaJean;335430
I just got a keyboard with cherry blues after typing for a few months on browns and topre. I must say I do like them quite a bit, altought I don't think that it would be respectfull to type on them full time at the office.

I'm thinking that the most life I could squeeze out of this board would be to keep it at the office for when I'm alone (pretty often) and just have some fun then. I don't think this board would really be satisfying as a gaming board, I don't know yet if i like the blues for at home but I'm pretty sure my girl dislikes them.

I'm having a small scale lan tonigh and I think I'll be bringing my blue mx board along and see how I feel about it and how annoyed my friends will get :D

BTW the game we'll be playing is SC2 and yes I do spam quite a bit.

The funny/sad/weird thing is that the Black Widow comes with blues. I'm still baffled by their choice.

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 10:03:47 »
^^^

I really can't see myself playing anything other than a RTS with blues and still, this choice just begs one question

WHY?

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 10:25:11 »
I loled at the part where he talks about the test robots, I'm sure they loved the blues for gaming :p

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 10:36:34 »
Watching those robots is so much more entertaining than working :D

woody

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 10:52:58 »
Quote from: ripster;335493
Here's one that does assembly.
One assembling, one disassembling - Perpetuum Mobile.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:46:03 »
Quote from: ripster;335483
I actually believe that they DID do the research.  It's just forum dweebs that get Hysteresis Hysteria.

I think blues are totally fine, just suboptimal. Of all the switches I've tried I actually prefer browns the most for gaming. You get a little bit of tactility so it's more "fun" than a linear switch, but there is no potential hysteresis problem. I bottom out and full release 99% of the time so have no problem with it but I can see how a little fairy boy with a lighter touch could have problems with it.

In the end it is all preference and blues are probably the most overall fun and different than rubber dome switch out there so I can see that influencing their decision. I think it would be awesome if they released the BW with different switches eventually. It would (hopefully) influence the pricing on other boards and the more people holding their keyboards to a mechanical switch's standard the better for all of us.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:06:20 »
Quote from: Chobopants;335543
I bottom out and full release 99% of the time...

Sounds like panda-R...but I digress...

I think blues are better for typing and browns are better as an all-arounder.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 13:17:44 »
Quote from: hcry4;335560
Sounds like panda-R...but I digress...

I feel the same. If I had to choose one board for all time it would be my full size Filco brown. It is the most versatile board I own. Luckily I live in a world where I can have my cake and eat it too, and I can choose what kind of cake I want each time!

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 13:21:14 »
Quote from: hcry4;335560

Browns should be called gray.

They are not too bad and not too good to do anything.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline n12

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 01:28:26 »
Quote from: The Solutor;335594
Browns should be called gray.

They are not too bad and not too good to do anything.
hahahah

Offline dfoo

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 04:03:09 »
i definitely like browns better for gaming, specifically those where you have to repeatedly spam the same key. the release point on the blues actually does get in the way.