Author Topic: Looking for Japanese Layout Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Isodus

Looking for Japanese Layout Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown
« on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 21:39:45 »
Looking for a keyboard with some specifics, some I absolutely want others I don't mind if I am without, but would prefer to have.  The items are listed in order from most desired to the least I will miss them if there isn't a keyboard with it.

Need:
Japanese Layout with Kana visible
Cherry Brown Switches
6 Key Rollover (or N-Key Rollover)
USB
Backlit

Want:
Not Tenkeyless
USB Port(s) on keyboard
Media Keys

I've been using a bunch of information already posted on these forums and have found some that fit the ones I absolutely want, but finding everything has proven to be almost impossible.

I've found Filco FKB108M/JB that meets my requirements for the most part except being backlit, although I can live without a backlit keyboard it is so much nicer having one that is.

I'm not too worried about finding distributors at this point so as long as it exists and is good quality I would like to hear about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, the information I've found on these forums already have proved invaluable.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2011, 22:44:42 by Isodus »

Offline Isodus

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 22:43:50 »
Thanks.

Hiragana is what I want but I saw someone calling it kana when I was reading about the Filco I mentioned, which is why I called it kana in my OP.

Offline Engine

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 22:52:04 »
Closest thing I know of:
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=833
Just came in stock at "The Keyboard Co" and I like it myself.

...And welcome!
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline vicz

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 00:40:38 »
Quote from: Isodus;333170

Hiragana is what I want but I saw someone calling it kana when I was reading about the Filco

Hiragana (the curvy characters you want) and katakana (the more angular characters Ripster posted a picture of) are both called kana. My first computer came with a katakana font only, because it's impossible to draw legible hiragana in a 5x7 dot matrix.

Anyway, Japanese is becoming too mainstream. What I want is a Klingon keyboard.

Offline Isodus

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 14:37:14 »
Quote from: Engine;333172
Closest thing I know of:
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=833
Just came in stock at "The Keyboard Co" and I like it myself.

I believe it is almost exactly the same one I found as well except instead of red it's black, good to hear it is a nice keyboard.

Quote from: vicz;333239
Hiragana (the curvy characters you want) and katakana (the more angular characters Ripster posted a picture of) are both called kana. My first computer came with a katakana font only, because it's impossible to draw legible hiragana in a 5x7 dot matrix.

Anyway, Japanese is becoming too mainstream. What I want is a Klingon keyboard.

I need it because I'm going to need to type in Japanese and using a virtual online keyboard is frustrating me.
Thanks for confirming about kana as well, I thought it was the term used for both hiragana and katakana but I wasn't completely certain.

I'm thinking in order to get backlit along with everything else I might have to find a keyboard that doesnt have hiragana shown and buy keys that do and will fit the keyboard.
It seems like I can only find two of three major points I want: Hiragana shown, backlit, cherry brown switches.

Offline vicz

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 19:19:56 »
Quote from: Isodus;333563
I need it because I'm going to need to type in Japanese and using a virtual online keyboard is frustrating me.

What's that about needing a virtual online keyboard? You can easily type Japanese on a plain old keyboard. Just install your OS's Japanese input method editor and set it to "rōmaji". Then you just type "korehanihongodayo" and out comes "これは日本語だよ". You end up typing about twice as much as on a kana keyboard, but you don't need to learn a new layout, and you don't need a special keyboard.

Offline Isodus

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 01:12:54 »
vicz, you may have just saved me from a massive headache.  I hadn't even thought of looking into that function, I feel like an idiot.