Author Topic: Alienware M14x released today.  (Read 6922 times)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Alienware M14x released today.
« on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 13:33:12 »
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 13:42:10 »
That looks awesome! Is it wrong that I want to get that and run ubuntu on it? Win7 is nice, but windows is just so...boring!
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 13:54:10 »
Looks the same as the last version.  Id rather have a Sony Z or a nice Lenovo over one of these.
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 13:59:41 »
But does the Z or Lenovo have gaming-capable graphics?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 14:05:32 »
Quote from: ricercar;333540

The answer is yes if all you play is minesweeper. But there will still be framerate drops
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 14:10:45 »
Quote from: noodles256;333543
The answer is yes if all you play is minesweeper. But there will still be framerate drops

Or Minecraft...

The Z-Series is nice, but to get it to play games like SC2 at the same quality as the Alienware you'd have to spend 1800s.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 15:00:40 »
I like the light up keyboards on Alienware. They is da cool-ness meter.

I'll be lugging my Topre with me though for dat extra cool factor.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 16:21:01 »
Quote from: noodles256;333579
I like the light up keyboards on Alienware. They is da cool-ness meter.

I'll be lugging my Topre with me though for dat extra cool factor.

About 99% of the time you'll be the ONLY person that will know what a Topre is

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 17:02:20 »
Quote from: .XL;333623
About 99% of the time you'll be the ONLY person that will know what a Topre is

People don't have to know it for it to be cool man.

Hop aboard da cool keyboard train.

Whatchu know about non-mainstream products
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 17:44:33 »
Quote from: .XL;333547
Or Minecraft...

The Z-Series is nice, but to get it to play games like SC2 at the same quality as the Alienware you'd have to spend 1800s.

I dont think you can get a z series for under 1800, pretty sure they start out around 1800.  Id rather play the game at medium settings then lug around that huge ugly ass alienware  (no offense)

Offline .XL

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 18:39:05 »
That's true :p seems I pulled that number out of my ass. It sounded right when I was typing it :p That's the base model, so with a better video card it'd probably run around 2200. A friend of mine has it all maxed out with dual ssds and the top of the line graphics card, paid around 5k for it. He's got a 7mil and a 14mil trust fund that he makes over 600k a year from just in interest, so don't feel bad for him :p

I don't find the Alienware ugly. If the lights are off I think it looks pretty sleek. I can see how that look wouldn't appeal to everyone though.

And it's not exactly huge - it's only a little bigger than the Z-series

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 19:34:36 »
ya but have you picked one up?  they are super heavy(which isnt always a bad thing ie: topres filcos) I just dont like my laptops like that which is why I really like the sony/lenovo/asus ultra portables

Offline .XL

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:08:12 »
Quote from: Lpb45;333775
ya but have you picked one up?  they are super heavy(which isnt always a bad thing ie: topres filcos) I just dont like my laptops like that which is why I really like the sony/lenovo/asus ultra portables

I like the Lenovos, but I've never had a good experience with a Sony laptop. Asus is my favorite manufacturer. I own a Macbook Pro though...it's got all the power I need in a laptop, holds 7.5 hours battery life even after 2 years, and OS X is great! I tell people 'I run Unix on my laptop' and they're all like 'wow you must be a super awesome tech geek!' Yes, yes I am.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:27:23 »
Quote from: .XL;333795
I like the Lenovos, but I've never had a good experience with a Sony laptop. Asus is my favorite manufacturer. I own a Macbook Pro though...it's got all the power I need in a laptop, holds 7.5 hours battery life even after 2 years, and OS X is great! I tell people 'I run Unix on my laptop' and they're all like 'wow you must be a super awesome tech geek!' Yes, yes I am.

Sony doesn't make good laptops, everything else is pretty good. My ASUS died after 1 year so I don't like them. This will be my first Alienware when I receive it so crossing dem fingers.

werd up
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:51:43 »
Quote from: noodles256;333822
Sony doesn't make good laptops, everything else is pretty good. My ASUS died after 1 year so I don't like them. This will be my first Alienware when I receive it so crossing dem fingers.

werd up

Which Asus did you get? They're the only manufacturer that's been consistent in my view. My dad's been buying as many Asus-branded products as are offered when he builds a new PC. When I built my first PC I went with what was cheap, and paid the price. I built an Asus-based build next, and it held for 6 years. I've got a lot of respect for them, never had an issue with their PC components or medium range and higher laptops.

I have heard about issues with the Eee's, though.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:02:44 »
g73jh. I got their "pristine" gaming edition laptops. That lappy ran so hot, my god. I wasn't surprised when the GPU made the motherboard melt. I heard the new models are better though.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:16:59 »
Quote from: noodles256;333822

werd up

Sony doesnt make good "gaming" laptops mainly because that term is practically an oxymoron, if I want to game I will use my home rig.  I just dont get the whole gaming laptop thing, man I need to game on the go so I better lug around a 20 pound laptop o and gonna need a mouse and a keyboard because the board on the alienware is junk.  Post your guy in the restaurant with the full microsoft keyboard holding his dinner Ripster, id much rather have an ultaportable and just play games at lower settings.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:36:23 »
Hmm, 2,92kg... I wait for M11x, resolution is semi-decent though...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:56:39 »
My problem with "gaming" laptops has always been the price.  What you pay for a "gaming" laptop you could put in a desktop and have nearly double the computing power.  Then taking into account the ability to upgrade just about everything, I could never justify the cost to performance ratio.
rm -Rf /*

Offline Cata1yst

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 22:07:55 »
Quote from: sndstrm;333907
My problem with "gaming" laptops has always been the price.  What you pay for a "gaming" laptop you could put in a desktop and have nearly double the computing power.  Then taking into account the ability to upgrade just about everything, I could never justify the cost to performance ratio.

well this might be foreign to you... but here goes. What if you need to move your computer on a daily basis?! OMG WHAT A CONCEPT!

Offline .XL

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 22:21:09 »
Quote from: sndstrm;333907

If you need to buy a laptop and you want to play games it ends up being cheaper to buy a gaming laptop. This is especially important when you like to game on the go.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 22:47:49 »
Quote from: Cata1yst;333916
well this might be foreign to you... but here goes. What if you need to move your computer on a daily basis?! OMG WHAT A CONCEPT!

Why do you need to move your computer on a daily basis?  Are you homeless?  I can understand if you are a salesman that is traveling constantly but the majority of people who buy gaming laptops are not and are buying it so they can game to kill time in which case like I said I would rather just have an ultraportable and play at lower settings

Offline panda-R

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 22:57:31 »
I must admit the M14x is kinda sexy. It's a little on the hefty side and the styling is a little boy racer but for the price you pay I think you get a good mix. Now I just wait and see what ASUS brings for the U series laptops and then i can finally get a new laptop cuz imma so cool.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 23:11:07 »
It looks kinda cool but very expensive. A gaming PC needs serious cooling and that's why they should be big. I built this one for less money....

including the $180.00 keyboard...
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline panda-R

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 23:29:39 »
Quote from: ripster;333960
1/3 the price and half the weight!!! (a tad slower but you should Face Book and Study.....).  SSD makes this sucker boot faster than Usain Bolt.

but I enjoy spending like $1500 dollars on a computer which I use to troll GH, MSN, FB, FOOBAR and watch pr0n.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 01:26:06 »
Quote from: Lpb45;333872
Sony doesnt make good "gaming" laptops mainly because that term is practically an oxymoron, if I want to game I will use my home rig.  I just dont get the whole gaming laptop thing, man I need to game on the go so I better lug around a 20 pound laptop o and gonna need a mouse and a keyboard because the board on the alienware is junk.  Post your guy in the restaurant with the full microsoft keyboard holding his dinner Ripster, id much rather have an ultaportable and just play games at lower settings.

I didn't know they made gaming laptops. I was just speaking of their laptop quality in general, which is bad, very bad.

In other news, I have attached my old Sony Laptop onto a Bull for the annual run to find if it has any usefulness
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2011, 01:27:40 by noodles256 »
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 01:43:42 »
My issue with "gaming laptops" is that it's just a gimmick to make them sell to silly children who fall for it. Now alienware stuff is pretty nice, but, I could deck a thinkpad or sony, or something, with the same hardware. My point is, you can use ANY kind of laptop for gaming given enough specs.

My friend's sony has 3.6 Ghz quad core i7, 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated 1GB nvidia GPU. I'm pretty sure that would qualify for "gaming" as he can indeed run any game on max with no issue... and it doesn't have to have a shiny alien head badge.

So really it comes down to whether or not you want a "high-end" laptop, not necessarily "gaming".
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline liist

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 03:02:45 »
I don't see the need in a gaming laptop either. I know all my Korean friends like to go over to each other's apartments and play Starcraft and DotA, but their daily-use 15" computers seem to do the job just fine.

Quote from: ricercar;333540

The W520 definitely do some gaming, and yet has the tough features that ThinkPads have. I remember seeing an advertisement of a film producer using it as his primary work computer working with Autodesk Maya ($5,000 3D computer graphics program).

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2011/03/28/lenovo-thinkpad-w520-mini-review.aspx shows it plays HL2 on high settings very well, as well as perform well on other graphics-intensive tasks.

But of course, my rather lower-end ThinkPad can handle AEO II pretty well. But at least I don't have cooling problems.
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 11:51:10 »
Quote from: Cata1yst;333916

I literally just ell oh elled at this.  Your a vagabonding gamer that travels on a tumble weed just looking for any place he can find a plug and a hotspot where you can play video games, and laptops were created for you.  The concept of the laptop is brilliant, but you completely missed my point.
rm -Rf /*