Author Topic: exchanging f and j keys on a cherry g80-3000 lscde-2  (Read 2113 times)

Offline x_undefined

exchanging f and j keys on a cherry g80-3000 lscde-2
« on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 03:53:55 »
Hello all together,

i recently bought a Cherry G80-3000.LSCDE-2 with blue MX switches. Overall it is nice keyboard. What i miss a bit are the common elevations on the f and j key that makes it easier to correctly align the fingers on the board without looking on it.

Is there a way to swap these two keycaps? I read in another thread that Cherry doesn't sell replacement keycaps like for example unicomp does.

Do anyone have experience with keycaps from cheap Cherry rubber domes boards like the G83-series? Do they fit on the G80. I have an old g83 laying in the office which I could cannibalize for keycaps.

Offline Human

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 05:01:44 »
Quote from: x_undefined;335374
Hello all together,

i recently bought a Cherry G80-3000.LSCDE-2 with blue MX switches. Overall it is nice keyboard. What i miss a bit are the common elevations on the f and j key that makes it easier to correctly align the fingers on the board without looking on it.

Is there a way to swap these two keycaps? I read in another thread that Cherry doesn't sell replacement keycaps like for example unicomp does.

Do anyone have experience with keycaps from cheap Cherry rubber domes boards like the G83-series? Do they fit on the G80. I have an old g83 laying in the office which I could cannibalize for keycaps.

I believe buying those cheap after mart keycaps(or even the expensive titanium keycaps/click clack keycaps) will do the jobs for you. If you insist to use those from your g83, i think this may help you(ppl mod it for the sake of double shots...).
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:9617

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 07:27:12 »
Quote from: x_undefined;335374

Is there a way to swap these two keycaps?

The G80-series keyboards do not have nubs on the F and J keys. Instead these keys are more deeply curved than the other keys. I also had not noticed that myself before someone here told me. :)

The G83 series is not compatible. The only other series is the G81 series -- and that one has nubs!
There have also been OEM variants of Cherry's G80 keyboards with nubs.

There are several German members here who are likely to have the spare key caps that you are looking for. I suggest you create a WTB thread in the marketplace.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2011, 07:30:10 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline x_undefined

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 17:48:46 »
Quote from: Findecanor;335408
The G80-series keyboards do not have nubs on the F and J keys. Instead these keys are more deeply curved than the other keys. I also had not noticed that myself before someone here told me. :)

The G83 series is not compatible. The only other series is the G81 series -- and that one has nubs!
There have also been OEM variants of Cherry's G80 keyboards with nubs.

There are several German members here who are likely to have the spare key caps that you are looking for. I suggest you create a WTB thread in the marketplace.

Thank you for your answer. I bought the g80 as second keyboard because it is probably the cheapest mechanical keyboard you can get here in Germany (~50 Euros). As main keyboard I use a unicomp customizer (~120-150 Euro incl. Shipping, taxes, etc.). I know that several other keyboards have cherry switches but they are usually much more expansive than the original cherries. Maybe I will get use to these nup-free fj-keys.

Offline dqsl

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 19:38:38 »
Strange, I bought my German G80's (blues and whites) less than two years ago, and both of them have nubs on F and J

EDIT: I wouldn't mind trading keys, I live in Denmark so postage shouldn't be that heavy.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2011, 19:40:50 by dqsl »