Author Topic: I wish there were an easier way to try all the different types of switches  (Read 2010 times)

Offline MadSage

• Herr Dandia!
You know? I wish I could walk into a Best Buy and type on everything from Buckling Springs to Cherry Blacks to Topre Switches. I'd like to try Cherry Browns, but how can I know if I'd like them before spending ~$100? I'd love to buy a Topre Realforce 103, but I just can't justify the $250 on a gamble like that. Same goes with the HHKB Pro 2. It sounds awesome, but then you hear one odd comment like "it feels just like a rubber dome" and you just have to back up and say, "Whoa, am I really going to risk $275 on this?"

I just sold my Filco with Cherry Blues, and I'm back to my good old trusty Model M for now. I needed some quick cash, but I do miss it. The Model M is great and all, but my fingers are wearing out. Late night coding sessions end a lot quicker when your fingers are too tired to type anymore. And I miss the sound of the Blues too. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I like the Cherry switches more than Buckling Springs.

This summer I'll be coming into some money when I start my new job, so I think I'll look into a new keyboard then. I was looking at one of the Topre Realforce keyboards for my desktop at home, but I just wish there were some way I could try it first. I guess I'll just hunt for a cheaper used one, if I can find one. I suppose if I don't like it, there are always the click-happy geeks over in the Classifieds where I could make a decent chunk of the money back.  I was also thinking of maybe getting a KBC Poker with Cherry Browns for work when I start too. It would be nice to get a mechanical keyboard for work, as I'm sure they'll provide me with some cheap rubbery Dell garbage. The Poker looks nice because it's so tiny and portable, but they seem a little hard to find still. Any one know of a good reputable retailer in the US to order from?

And as always, open to any and all suggestions, corrections, and insults. =)

Offline MrSneis

I wish there were an easier way to try all the different types of switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 00:57:59 »
Credit card and FS/FT forum :)  Browns so far are my preferred switch type!
Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Filco Tenkeyless-2 Blue | Leopold Tenkeyless Blue

Offline mjacob

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 01:37:24 »
Quote from: Osman Dandia;336808
I was looking at one of the Topre Realforce keyboards for my desktop at home, but I just wish there were some way I could try it first. I guess I'll just hunt for a cheaper used one, if I can find one.

As I pointed out to reaper~ in a different thread, I'm selling a very, very nice used one right here. I'll even offer the following return policy: buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, feel free to pawn it off on some other GH'er via the classifieds forum. :wink:

Offline slueth

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 01:41:13 »
There is a topre keychain and try switch pad from sirclickalot, if you are willing to pay for shipping(minor cost), you can test them all with this sinklist.  Or make your friends buy one of each switch and test theirs.(if you have friends)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 02:01:16 »
I agree.  I hate it that I have to buy something I won't want only to loose money reselling it later.  There was another post somewhere in these forums where someone had made a keyboard with different types of switches.  That seems like the best way to go.  That way you could try them out all on one board.  Too bad we can't just borrow one of those to try for a few days.  I would also love it we could go to a keyboard shop to custom order a keyboard with the design and switches you want.  I with something like that were available.  Then again, that would be such a small market, that the prices would probably be way too high.  I guess there really is no easy solution.  We all have to do with what's available to us.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline mjacob

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 02:06:06 »
Quote from: bettablue;336830
I hate it that I have to buy something I won't want only to loose money reselling it later.

Yeah, but this is true of everything, not just keyboards. You're taking this risk every time you buy any kind of "disposable income" item.

Offline Ineptsavant

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 08:18:02 »
Hehe, I empathize. When I ordered my first mechanical keyboard about 7 years ago I was taking a risk. I had never tried one and couldn't find one to try. But now I live in China where it seems mechanical keyboards are in high demand. I went to an Electronics store not too far away and tried all the varieties of Cherry switches before once again choosing the MX blues.

I wonder why Asia seems to like mechanical keyboards so much whereas the rest of the world seemingly ignores them.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 08:35:58 »
Speaking of the cherrys only is pretty easy to buy one per type from mouser or digikey or online components.

They cost something like 0.8 $/€ a piece for limited quantities, so not a big investment.

For topre and/or alps the forum's sinklists are the best options.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 12:02:12 »
SirClickAlot has sinklists for everything from Cherry to Alps and Topre. I'm not sure if he has a buckling spring one... Ether way, check them out.

http://www.mrinterface.com/sinklists
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.