Author Topic: HHKB white vs black  (Read 11832 times)

Offline brkim1324

HHKB white vs black
« on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 01:05:24 »
I purchased my HHKB pro 2 online, but it's not yet shipped yet.
I ordered in black with letters,
but thinking about changing it to white.

I like the white color more, but just scared that any minor scratches or stains
will be so noticeable, or getting yellow, or getting shiny.
Any cosmetic problems for white?

And how are the letter wears for HHKB?

If there is not much problem for HHKB white version, I will change it to white :)

Please help!

Offline slueth

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 01:23:54 »
If your anal about your stuff then maybe.  If you see an imperfection, you go nuts then you should get black.

Offline brkim1324

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 01:34:05 »
If your anal about your stuff then maybe. If you see an imperfection, you go nuts then you should get black.
Just want to keep my very expensive keyboard good as new always :)
I heard PBT r resistant of being yellow, but just wanna maker sure from the actual users! such as other cosmetic problems too as I stated above.
do the black ones really get shiny?

Offline slueth

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 01:36:32 »
I think you should just get white.  Treat it good and if its gets shiny or yellows or etc, just means you loved it long time.  Like a couple that has been married together along time.  Don't be shallow!
You can always buy replacement caps lol.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
HHKB white vs black
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 02:22:39 »
I thought that white boards were more durable than blacks when it comes to key wear?
Only owning white Realforce boards, I guess I can't really say for sure. I think the general consensus though is that it's harder to notice shiny keys on a white keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2011, 02:26:25 by 002 »

Offline CephalicCarnage

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 02:40:34 »
Yes.  Generally it seems shiny keys are less noticeable on white keyboards.  I also find that dust is more visible on black keyboards.... although dirt, mud, ketchup, car grease etc. would probably show up more on the white keyboard :P

With such a nice keyboard, it shouldn't be too much trouble to be obsessive about keeping it clean and looking its best.  I think owning a keyboard like the HHKB Pro2 is a good way to break your habit of having food/snacks/beverages near your keyboard :lol:
Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Blue), Leopold Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Brown), Leopold Tenkeyless (Blue), Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numeric Pad (Brown)
In the mail: HHKB Pro2 White/Gray

WTB: G80-8113HRBUS-2 with Clear switches

Offline brkim1324

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 02:52:42 »
Yes. Generally it seems shiny keys are less noticeable on white keyboards. I also find that dust is more visible on black keyboards.... although dirt, mud, ketchup, car grease etc. would probably show up more on the white keyboard :P
Does the material of black version of keycap different with white version? From the picture of it, the white HHKB keycaps look more like a normal keyboard's material (like Filco's, smooth)
while black one look more like rock, durable. Are they the same material?

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
HHKB white vs black
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 02:59:37 »
I'm going to guess and say "Yes, it's the same".
It's probably the same way that black cars tend to show dirt more than white cars.

Offline RiGS

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 06:07:45 »
The dust on a white keyboard is much less visible. Also PBT plastic doesn't yellow over time.

Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline chongyixiong

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 09:42:46 »
Why not buy both and swap the keys around? :D

But I like my whites better - black shows dust much more easier

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
HHKB white vs black
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 10:20:13 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;336923
Why not buy both...

Yes.

Offline brkim1324

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 10:37:25 »
Very few arguments are Black and White.
haha true. I just sent an email to EK wanting to change it to whites.
I've been using black keyboards for quite long time now, about 5 years.
Before 5 years was one of my favorite membrane keyboard of White Logitech Media Keyboard.
For $20, in my opinion, that keyboard was legendary in the type feeling, convenience, and price wise. That keyboard was white XD.
And I loved it, gave it to my little brother, was using it even about a year ago.
Although I offered my little brother for a change to new keyboard, he insisted of using it, despite the fact it was getting nasty. And he was 4th grade at that time.
I thought to myself, damn even 4th grade child knows that keyboard is better than new keyboard he might get even when it's getting nasty, yellowish, malfunctioning. :D
But I did buy him a new keyboard later on, and asked him why he didn't want to change. And his reason was same as mine :)
I was kinda surprised at that time, when young teenagers most of the time prefer NEW and shiny, pretty things. I thought to myself, that's my little brother, knowing stuff :-)
Hoping my new White keyboard will serve me in that purpose too. If that's they case, all the best keyboards I've been using will be White XD.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
HHKB white vs black
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 11:23:22 »
HHKB white ftw, if I got one it would be white
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline brkim1324

HHKB white vs black
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 11:29:43 »
The one I was talking about in the comment above noodles was Logitech access multimedia keyboard. But it's not the one with blue palm rest, it was white. Can't seem to find the correct image for it. I bought it from Korea, and they don't produce it anymore. They are made little bit differently from country to country, although they are called the same. The Logitech media keyboard is BAD... It's a totally different keyboard. Just for the info.

Offline Hypersphere

Re: HHKB white vs black
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 16:25:26 »
I got the black version, but the legends were too difficult to read. Therefore, I put a new set of white/light gray keycaps on it to enhance legibility. The combination of the black case with the light keycaps looks modern and attractive.

Offline s0ckpupp3t

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 21:47:44 »
I got the black version, but the legends were too difficult to read. Therefore, I put a new set of white/light gray keycaps on it to enhance legibility. The combination of the black case with the light keycaps looks modern and attractive.

Pics or it didn't happen!  :p

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 21:51:30 »
Okay, dumb question but here goes: I had a HHKB white and black model. The black one sounded a little louder or different somehow than the white. Have any of you guys noticed that? there is no reason why it should but to me it did. Thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 22:50:39 »
Okay, dumb question but here goes: I had a HHKB white and black model. The black one sounded a little louder or different somehow than the white. Have any of you guys noticed that? there is no reason why it should but to me it did. Thanks.

Were you using them on the same desk under the same circumstances?  Environment sometimes has a big impact on how a keyboard sounds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 22:56:26 »
Yes same desk same circumstances. Do you think the keycaps are weighed differently from the black and white ones? Thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:02:42 »
Yes same desk same circumstances. Do you think the keycaps are weighed differently from the black and white ones? Thanks.

Shouldn't do - they are all same profile and same material (presumably - I have only white HHKB).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:03:44 »
White shows dirt more. Your skin leaves a lot of gunk behind and it builds up. Guy at work keeps things clean, but his white keyboard still has brown stains.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:11:11 »
White shows dirt more. Your skin leaves a lot of gunk behind and it builds up. Guy at work keeps things clean, but his white keyboard still has brown stains.

White shows dark dirt more.

Black shows light dirt more.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 01:11:56 »
White looks cool but yellows as the case is ABS. My best bet is black case and white keys. It looks cool and won't yellow as keys are PBT. Well, apart from space bar.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 10:11:07 »
Yes, my first HHKB Pro 2 was the black version. I put a new set of white/light gray keycaps on it for legibility. I agree that the combination of the black case and the light-colored keycaps looks great. It is a good blend of retro and modern.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:49:06 »
I agree with that. I wish they had more colors to choose from.  :(

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:06:26 »
I agree with that. I wish they had more colors to choose from.  :(
There are some other options, such as exchanging some of the keycaps with those from a Realforce 87u/104u set, which are available in various colors. There is also a red Esc keycap available. The tradeoffs include the fact that the right-shift will not fit and the correct Fn-layer legends will be missing.

However, one of the many advantages of the HHKB Pro 2 is that the stock keycaps look fine (especially the legible white/gray ones!), and the option of putting the light keycaps on the black case is a sufficient modification for me.

Offline Yorkshire

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:15:35 »
If i where to buy one i'd go for the white, i find it so much nicer then the black.Plus its easier to see at night.