Author Topic: Prospects of Key Modding (Black to Blue)  (Read 1291 times)

Offline ZidaneTribal

Prospects of Key Modding (Black to Blue)
« on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 13:54:27 »
This may seem like an odd question, or perhaps a stupid one since my search for an existing answer may not have been though enough. But I was wondering if it is at all possible to switch out existing Mechancial switches for others.

Specifically I am thinking of the upcoming Zibal 60 from Mionix. As I mentiond in the thread discussing the Zibal proper, my only real concern/complaint with it (other than the obvous lack of multi-colored LEDs, which is nither a large problem mor something that can be helped considering the non-existance of RGB 3mm LEDs) is that it uses black mechanical switches instead of blue. As a writer I would naturally far prefer blues, but I worry that even if such a modification were possible it might compromise the durabiltiy I am looking for with the Zibal.

Naturally I plan on waiting until at least August to see what the initial reactions to the Zibal 60 are, but it does beg the question of modifying switches at home. I appologize in advance if there is already a threat dedicated to this.
Proudly Suffers from "Chronic Hero Syndrome"

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 13:58:41 »
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17357-U9BL-Beige-edition-(clear-switches-brown-springs)&highlight=beige

BTW the 2 pin multicolor leds exist, and I presume are the one used on the logitech G110
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2011, 14:01:04 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline ZidaneTribal

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 14:09:43 »
Well I have looked around and have yet to find a 3MM RGB of any pin configuration, though I may be looking in the wrong places.

The guide should help out alot though if I finally decide to go with the Zibal. Thank's alot! I really do appriciate it.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 14:16:16 »
Well I have looked around and have yet to find a 3MM RGB of any pin configuration, though I may be looking in the wrong places.

For 2 pin multicolor I mean 2 colors and anything in the middle e.g. red, violet, purple, blue or green, yellow, orange, amber, red, and so on.

They are actually two diodes connected in antiparallel, so an inversion on polarity will turn on one of the two primary colors, a square wave signal will give all the shares in the middle depending on the duty cycle.

This needs a bit of additional circuitry, but nothing being rocket science
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline ZidaneTribal

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 14:24:19 »
Honestly that does sound nice, and really I don't think I'd want red, orange, yellow or the like anyways. Really if you could make and powder coat (or paint I suppose) a small steel case to match, it would probably be easy to make a little voltage regulator switch and stick it next to the cable while keeping the overall board looking clean.

I think I may have to try this now. It would be something interesting to test between now and June.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 14:48:44 »
I evaluated various kind of led mods, and I ended with the conclusion that will be better using white, or warm white leds with the coloured silicone "minicondoms" on top

http://www.htl.co.jp/english/p_pro1_color.html

So no need to differentiate resistors because different LEDs, freedom to change mind on color scheme, and also possibility on mixing colors e.g. white illumination with blue enter, red escape and yellow asdw.

Gel filters are also an option: i already bought a kit of four for 5€ on my local electronic shop, and they works although cutting them in tiny rings is a bit boring process.