Author Topic: NIB XT Model F  (Read 2191 times)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Sam

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 18:52:16 »
Looks like at least two people want it.  A bit of a contradictory listing.  For "item condition", it lists it as used, but elsewhere says it's new.  I guess maybe it's new unless you look carefully.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 19:24:36 »
Well, I could be interested, but I'd have to be able to use it for me to want to get it.

Looks like the condition thing was already the subject of a question. The answer was that it is New in Open Box.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Sam

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 20:12:25 »
Quote from: ripster;339337
Then I lost interest in the AT.  Last year the Model F AT was this years Red Cherry.

You and others probably lost interest due to their disintegrating foam, right?

Offline JBert

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 16:40:59 »
Quote from: Sam;339347
You and others probably lost interest due to their disintegrating foam, right?
Actually, the foam is a non-issue. It is trapped between the front plate and the PCB, and the pressure from the front plate should keep the underside of the barrel assemblies sealed onto the PCB. It just makes a mess if you are crazy enough to disassemble your keyboard, something you don't do every day.

The main issues are compatibility with dwindling PS/2 ports and an arcane layout with only 84 kyes (you can't map a Windows key nor an Alt Gr, though you could work around the missing F11 and F12 keys).
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Sam

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 17:52:05 »
I realize the foam is a non-issue...was just joking being Ripster used to mention the foam all the time.

I've never had any issues with my AT board and the computers I use.  All my desktop computers at the office work with it via the PS/2 port, and all my notebooks work with it using a Blue Cube.  It might be an issue for certain people, but I doubt for very many.

The layout would definitely be a problem for some people.  I personally don't need Windows keys nor F11/F12.  But I would prefer my F keys to be up top, not on the left.  But everyone's different with what is their ideal layout, and what is an acceptable layout.

Offline JBert

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:51:31 »
Simply don't disturb it and it won't be any real trouble. It is hard for it to get into the moving parts when the keyboard is assembled, unlike the selectric you show.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Sam

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 18:13:26 »
Keyboard sold for $180.50.  This is a new record for the ones I've seen, but then again, it's the first one I've seen sold being described as NIB.