Author Topic: One remote to rule them all?  (Read 4438 times)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

One remote to rule them all?
« on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 12:41:46 »
For my remote consolidation needs I've been happy with my Logitech Harmony 520. I bought my father one and he HATES the thing. Buttons are too small, screen is too small. Refuses to use the thing.

He wants to get a Harmony 1100, but I've heard a number of gripes about it, with many reviewers saying the Harmony One is a better remote (pops doesn't like that either).

Any advice? Max budget is ~$300.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:11:50 »
I got a Q-Sonic 6in1 which is a ATI-Remote-Wonder on steroids... It has IR transmission for TV/VCR/DVD/etc. and X10 compatible radio transmission which even works through walls! It can also record/capture signals from other remotes which means it fully compatible with any device as long you got the original remote to initially record the signals, even works for DSLRs and stuff. Unfortunately it starts to break apart after all this years and its no more in production... Someone knows a similar remote with IR + X10 capability? :/

Offline firestorm

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 08:42:14 »
Touchscreens lack tactile feel, making them difficult to use without taking your eyes off the screen.  That is the primary reason I returned the Harmony One, besides the software just outright pissing me off.  I got it (and a Harmony 700) to do precisely what I wanted, but it was such a PITA having to: disconnect from the PC, make changes, find problems, reconnect, reconfigure, resync, disconnect, try again, and repeat 20 times.  I wasn't happy thrilled with the button feel, size or locations either.

I have a Home Theater Master (made by URC, aka Universal Remote Control) MX-500.  That's an ancient model, but it's robust, with excellent button feel, great layout, etc...  It has limitations, particularly in a DVR world, so I don't recommend that model, but the brand is generally excellent.

Based on that, I'd suggest looking at the URC-R50 or URC MX-450.  The R50 is similar to the MX-450, except that it cannot be updated or backed up.  The MX-450 has both those features and also has enhanced on-screen programming.  Neither can be programmed from a PC, but they're fairly simple to program and you can do so from your couch.  The one thing I don't like is that you can't move buttons around (PITA with the Harmonys, but it is possible.)  At least, I don't think they've added that functionality.  I couldn't settle for the R50 with no updates (it's one of the things that frustrates me with the old MX-500), and the MX-450 was never on sale.  I'd really like the MX-810, MX-880, or MX-980 which are PC programmable but they're expensive.  With any of these, you have to be careful to buy from an authorized vendor.   Particularly true of the "Customer Installer" line that is PC programmable, like the MX-880; you'll have trouble getting the software and updates if the vendor that sold it wasn't an authorized dealer.

FYI... URC remotes are a whole different class of remotes.  They're generally provided to customers by customer installers, so they're not a common household name.  But the remotes are so much nicer than the consumer grade junk at the big box stores.  The R50 feels cheap compared to my MX-500 (which is a tank), but the R50 still feels better than the Harmony remotes IMHO.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 May 2011, 08:47:50 by firestorm »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 15:45:55 »
Ok, after some research I found a knock-off of my old Q-Sonic remote,
the only difference seems to be that its silver instead of black... :)

Offline firestorm

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 08:05:16 »
Quote from: ripster;342676
One thing slick about the Logitech Harmony line is I really didn't have to reprogram much switching to a different remote.   Just  logon and download saved profile to new remote.
This is true.  When I was shopping, I initially tried the 700 to see what I thought of it.  I liked the idea of the hard buttons next to the LCD vs touchscreen.  When I decided I didn't like it, I tried the Harmony One.  It wasn't much trouble to change the programming for the 700 to suit it.  On the other hand, one problem with their setup is there is no backup.  One of my devices got corrupted, so I had to redo that device and all associated activities.  I was not happy.

Offline captain

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 06:35:54 »
I used to have a RadioShack rebranded X10 remote control, hacked by me with a LeapFrog adapter, which would allow me to custom program the remote, and then transmit the controls ANYWHERE through out the house via radio waves (i.e. no line-of-sight IR restrictions).  It would control all the A/V hardware, some of the computer hardware, and most of the lights and power outlets.  It was a very special time.  :-)

LOL! I just realized that I zombied this necrotic thread.  geekhack.org's search feature is beyond worthless.  My search for "what did I add" brought me to "cloud of boobs" which brought me to this thread.  :-/
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline shawn o

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 10:16:20 »
Bought a Harmony One a couple years ago when it was new and quickly returned it. I found it couldn't replace our remotes so whats the point.

All I need a remote for is setting up and watching Comcast DVR shows, Comcast On Demand, watching live TV, browsing through the guide, volume adjustment on TV and surround system. Also, switching TV inputs between DVR/HD box, Blu-ray, and PS3. Needed the remote to function for browsing through Netflix via the PS3 also. ALso needed it to be able to play/pause/etc while watching bluray on the blueray player....

Found that the Harmony One couldn't do most of those simple functions. Either that it was too complicated to setup and not worth the time/effort.

So, now we have a Comcast remote, TV remote, blueray remote, PS3 remote, and rarely used surround system remote (comcast remote works to adjust volume on that).

Offline Nighted

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 10:37:36 »
Home Theater Master MX-500. I bought one around 10 years ago. Great remote!!!

Should be a lot cheaper now than when they first came out.

A review: http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]