Author Topic: PLU ML-87 bang for the buck?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline sinis

PLU ML-87 bang for the buck?
« on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 05:58:10 »
Hi everyone,

I could not find anything about the PLU ML-87, using the search function. The price is quite affordable.

Since its more affordable than a Filco, and the Noppoo is 1) only offered with black MX and 2) the main key-prints are of this low contrast, I thought it would quite be quite a good deal for the price.
I live in Germany and I'm still looking for a tenkeyless Keyboard. I am watching the Filco at thekeyboardco.uk, being my favourite, but the most expensive, too.

I was wondering if anyone of you made some experiences with this PLU ML-87 keyboard. What do you think?

EDIT: I saw this pseudo-6KRO being mentioned in the offer. I want 6KRO. No pseudo.

Greetings from sunny Germany
sinis
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2011, 06:00:52 by sinis »

Offline domin8r

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 06:42:19 »
Wondering the same thing actually.. also like the look of the PLU keyboards :)
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline bakageta

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 08:06:14 »
The PLU ML-87 has very good build quality, but it's definitely a 2-key rollover keyboard. If you don't NEED n-key rollover, it's a great keyboard. The ML-87's matrix is better optimized than most 2kro boards. The WASD cluster in particular is very well laid out, letting you hit WASD all at the same time, as well as most neighboring keys. The arrows aren't highly optimized, though, and it's not possible to press all 4 at once. Some combinations of 3 (left-up-right) work, and others (left-down-right, for example) don't.

Offline sinis

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 08:10:34 »
Thanks!

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 12:36:50 »
wlcm 2 gh!, PLU ML-87 was my second board, if it wasn't cherry browns I would have loved it!
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline sinis

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 17:29:58 »
Thanks.

Thats just the question I have to do some research about. MX Browns or Blacks? Im trying to get a brown MX Cherry to test it for some days. Via ebay or by purchaseing one and send it back.
To be completely honest, I do only "gaming" on the keyboard.
Just have to wait for my desktop display to come back from RMA.
I thougt about having 6KRO for playing since I extensively use my keyboard around WASD.

I emailed keybo.de if it would be ok to test a G80 keyboard. And then send it back after a few days, in case it doesnt fit my likings. At least its mentioned to be ok in their general terms and conditions. But no answer from keybo.

Greetings from midnight aix la chapelle, germany
sinis

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 17:34:59 »
It's the law. You can send anything bought online back after max 2 weeks. If they want you as a future customer is an entirely different story.
I bought a phone with a 2year contract online and sent it back after a week.

Long live Europe.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 18:27:00 »
MX blacks are great for FPS gaming and I did note you said you pretty much exclusively game, but I still don't know if I would be comfortable ONLY having an MX black keyboard. I don't have a Brown keyboard but I can kinda guess using comments from others and comparing em to my blues and I think browns tend to do better in all around use.
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 May 2011, 20:33:52 »
I had one; loved the keyboard but didn't like the blue switches.  Build quality IMHO much better than Ducky, Noppoo; approaches Filco.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline baller1308

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 May 2011, 21:33:19 »
If possible a local electronics retailer might have a Razer Blackwidow or Steelseries 6Gv2 Keyboard and you can try those.  The Razer will be cherry blue switches and the Steelseries 6Gv2 will be cherry black switches.  The Noppoo comes in other switches but it's somewhat difficult to find a seller/or overpriced.  Easiest way seems to be via a Taobao Agent att the moment.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]