Author Topic: Apple extended keyboard II USB or PS/2  (Read 6007 times)

Offline PgrAm

Apple extended keyboard II USB or PS/2
« on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 22:16:28 »
I recently acquired an Apple Extended Keyboard II. Its such a great keyboard, the best I've ever used. I have a problem though. I use a PC which only has PS/2 and USB ports on it, the keyboard uses ADB. I have seen adapters for it like the Griffin iMate or the Belkin ADB to USB 2-Port, but both of these appear to have been discontinued and all the eBay listings cost $60 or more. Does anybody have an adapter they are willing to sell me or know where to get one? (or even know how to make one) Before you ask i already googled it and didn't find much. I simply can't type on a membrane keyboard anymore, every keystroke is agony. plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me!.:Cry:
IBM Model M, Northgate OmniKey, Apple extended keyboard II, Dell AT101w, Fujistu FKB4700

Offline orytek

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 00:21:48 »
Ebay is your best bet for an imate adb. Keep looking there and within a week or two you should be able to find one for less. Got mine for 30. including shipping. They come and go often.
The Apple Extended II is pure bliss btw. I was clacking away on a matias for over 2 years and on some dome keyboards prior to that before I realized my old Apple extended II was waiting for me in the closet.
What a re-union that was. The tactile response is strong yet much more comfortable, less bouncy and quieter. Hard to explain but so much more comfortable even though both use alps switches, the older extended II strikes the right balance for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2011, 00:23:52 by orytek »

Offline Human

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 03:01:25 »
Is it something like this?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=1157527261

P/S: The currency stated is China Yuan.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2011, 03:04:38 by Human »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 04:10:17 »
the Griffin iMate is a tough beast to tame.

if you see one under $40 USD, buy it immediately. They mostly sell for circa $60, often BIN on eBay at that price.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2011, 04:13:32 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 05:07:10 »
If you are willing to do some soldering and fiddling, there is the option of buying a Teensy development board, solder the contacts to it and install Hasu's ADB-USB adapter firmware onto it.
🍉

Offline Pylon

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 05:54:11 »
Another option involving a ton of soldering is rewiring the matrices on the whole keyboard. You sever most of the traces on the keyboard, get a USB controller from a cheap rubber dome board, and copy the matrix onto the PCB with wires.

Offline PgrAm

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 14:30:07 »
I think the teensy method is the best one I guess ill buy one.
IBM Model M, Northgate OmniKey, Apple extended keyboard II, Dell AT101w, Fujistu FKB4700

Offline david

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 17:32:58 »
I just got a 1990 Extended Keyboard II today too! Anyone know what the weight of the keys are? They are phenomenal...

Offline david

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 23:18:36 »
Rip, I tried it earlier before I saw the post! I got... 12 Nickels on mine.

Offline david

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 07:17:00 »
Ripster, I'll double check on the "f" key today! I also found a Model M at work so I'll test that guy out too..