Author Topic: Joining the club  (Read 2651 times)

Offline rsantos97

Joining the club
« on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 20:08:06 »
Hello fellas,  I just ordered my first mech keyboard this weekend, a DAS Professional Model S.  I will be replacing my week old MS ergo 4000 which replaced my Logitech Ultrathin Illuminated.  I was always a fan of low profile laptop style keyboards after owning three thinkpads (T20, X21, X22).  I had a Logitech UltraX which I really liked but after spilling coffee on it, I wound up replacing it with the Ultrathin Illuminated.  I was very disappointed with that keyboard especially after paying $80 for it (it was new at the time and a hot seller).  The keystroke on it is not springy and soft like the UltraX.  I loved the keys on it just not the keystroke which felt too stiff and like a regular cheap rubber dome keyboard.  I love the keys on this ergo 4000, very soft and springy.  But the ergo style slows my typing speed down, especially since I am not a good touch typist.  So I wanted to try a mechanical keyboard.  The reason I got the MS ergo is because my right wrist started hurting me a lot a couple months ago from using the PC.  I already started using the mouse with my left hand since a year ago but my right wrist hurts from typing.

I am planning on getting a Noppoo Choc Mini with either Blues or Browns, depending on how I like the Blues on my new DAS.

After using low profile keyboards for a while I never thought I could go back to regular profile keyboards but I guess I was wrong.

Almost forgot to mention.  I do mostly a ton of web surfing and schoolwork (senior in Computer Science).  I stopped gaming a couple weeks ago (BF:BC2) because of school and my wrist.  And before that I hadn't gamed for almost two years (was very into COD and BF series).
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2011, 20:13:40 by rsantos97 »

Offline bionicroach

Joining the club
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 20:28:38 »
Welcome to GH!  The Das is a great choice.  I own two of them (work and home) and use them more than any other board.

As far as your wrist pain goes, I assume you're being careful to keep your wrists as neutral as possible?  The springiness of the Blues might help a little bit with reducing fatigue when typing, but you definitely want to check your posture if you're having pain.  (And make sure to take enough rest breaks!)

I was also going to suggest looking at alternative mouse input devices such as the Contour RollerMouse (see my signature for link), but since you've been mousing with your left hand, that might not be the issue.  I imagine the RollerMouse would be horrible for gaming or detailed graphic design work, but for web surfing and everyday productivity tasks, it's fantastic.  Using a traditional mouse or trackball just feels like too much exercise for me now.  :)

Offline PlayerZero

Joining the club
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 21:01:31 »
Off topic as fast as possible, I know, but how is Computer Science?  I've thought about studying that in college, when I get there...  still gotta finish this high school thing.  I hear it's lots of math and not making video games like everyone hopes.  But I do like math (call me a nerd), so it might be fun.

:focus: On topic, this sounds cool!  I'm hoping to get a mech KB soon, so maybe you can let me know how you like the blues, and maybe the browns (I'm trying to decide between those).  Thanks!
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Joining the club
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 21:01:49 »
Quote from: rsantos97;350470
Almost forgot to mention.  I do mostly a ton of web surfing and schoolwork (senior in Computer Science).  I stopped gaming a couple weeks ago (BF:BC2) because of school and my wrist.  And before that I hadn't gamed for almost two years (was very into COD and BF series).

I have a feeling you're going to fall in love with the Cherry switches. I was rocking the MS Natural series keyboards for a long time (like, 10 years) before I switched over to the Apple Aluminum keyboard (still a great KB. Best scissor switches I've used). And then finally last December I got a Das Keyboard. In March I got a gig with a local .NET development house, and brought my MS Natural 4000 to work. Almost immediately I started experiencing wrist pain in my right wrist. I eventually started bringing my DK to work (yup, to and from every day), and voila: no more wrist pain. Needless to say, the two non-mechanical keyboards I have left (the MS 4000 and a Creative Fatal1ty board) are collecting dust in my closet.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Joining the club
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 21:07:06 »
Quote from: PlayerZero;350501
Off topic as fast as possible, I know, but how is Computer Science?  I've thought about studying that in college, when I get there...  still gotta finish this high school thing.  I hear it's lots of math and not making video games like everyone hopes.  But I do like math (call me a nerd), so it might be fun.

:focus: On topic, this sounds cool!  I'm hoping to get a mech KB soon, so maybe you can let me know how you like the blues, and maybe the browns (I'm trying to decide between those).  Thanks!

I can't comment on how CS is in College/University, but I've been a professional programmer for the last 13 years, and it's awesome. It's one of America's least stressful jobs, and you can make quite a decent paycheck. As far as math is concerned, I've personally never really run into an issue where I felt I needed some crazy math skills to do my job. The most important quality, I'd say, is the ability to think critically and logically work your way through a problem. Also, creativity ranks high up there as well. People say software development is an engineering field; I say it's an art form.

Enough rambling...

Offline Zet

Joining the club
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 22:49:58 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Great choice going for a DAS, just watch out for anything that might scratch the case and you are good to go :D

Offline PlayerZero

Joining the club
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 07:15:39 »
Quote from: daerid;350505
I can't comment on how CS is in College/University, but I've been a professional programmer for the last 13 years, and it's awesome. It's one of America's least stressful jobs, and you can make quite a decent paycheck. As far as math is concerned, I've personally never really run into an issue where I felt I needed some crazy math skills to do my job. The most important quality, I'd say, is the ability to think critically and logically work your way through a problem. Also, creativity ranks high up there as well. People say software development is an engineering field; I say it's an art form.

Enough rambling...

Thanks.  Sounds fun :)
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

Offline rsantos97

Joining the club
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 19:57:53 »
Thanks for the great replies fellas!

@playerzer
Yes there is tons of math. Trigonometry, precalculus, calculus I, callculus II, calculus III, and then the worst, discrete mathematics I and II and statistics for engineering.  I used to love math and was great at it until I took discrete mathematics.  It deals less with numbers and more with proofs and symbols. But the rest of the courses are cool. Many of the other courses will also have math in them, lots of formulas and algorithms.

I am thinking of getting the noppoo Choc Mini with browns but am not sure if I should. It's listed on ebay for $150 shipped. I want to compare it to the DAS Blues. Don't know if I could justify having two keyboards though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2011, 20:02:02 by rsantos97 »

Offline BaconKnight

Joining the club
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 20:10:29 »
Take it from me, you can justify having moar keyboardz. :happy:

I don't think a Noppoo MX brown for $150 is worth it though. And this is coming from a guy who likes his Noppoo. $150 is just too much for that board. Keep in mind in Hong Kong, the board's valued at $70-80. I understand some "internet mark up" + shipping but that's too high. $100-120 shipped is more reasonable.
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Joining the club
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 20:23:20 »
Quote from: rsantos97;351015
Don't know if I could justify having two keyboards though.

Oh good god why not. I've got 3 mechs right now, waiting on a 4th to ship, and am thinking about getting the brown keypad from The Keyboard Co to complement my tenkeyless as well as possibly getting another tenkeyless in the MX Black variety. I don't even know if I'll be done then.

Offline rsantos97

Joining the club
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 20:49:42 »
Man you guys are great! Thanks for clearing up the value of the Choc Mini. I had a feeling $150 was too much but i wasn't sure. I guess i'll have to check out the obook method to get it cheaper.

Offline sinani206

Joining the club
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 22:15:35 »
wlcm 2 gh

Offline Mr. Perfect

Joining the club
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 01:13:16 »
Quote from: sinani206;351092
wlcm 2 gh

You picked up that ridiculously abbreviated welcome from Noodle, didn't you? Damn, we need an intervention. :fish:
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline rodya

Joining the club
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 02:35:00 »
eoe to eekack

Did I do that right?

Don't know if I could justify having two keyboards though.

If you want to retain the sense (and money) that statement suggests you still possess, leave this place immediately and forget it ever existed.

Offline PlayerZero

Joining the club
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 07:24:44 »
Quote from: rsantos97;351015
Thanks for the great replies fellas!

@playerzer
Yes there is tons of math. Trigonometry, precalculus, calculus I, callculus II, calculus III, and then the worst, discrete mathematics I and II and statistics for engineering.  I used to love math and was great at it until I took discrete mathematics.  It deals less with numbers and more with proofs and symbols. But the rest of the courses are cool. Many of the other courses will also have math in them, lots of formulas and algorithms.

I am thinking of getting the noppoo Choc Mini with browns but am not sure if I should. It's listed on ebay for $150 shipped. I want to compare it to the DAS Blues. Don't know if I could justify having two keyboards though.

Thanks!

Offline rsantos97

Joining the club
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 15:18:48 »
Just got my DAS in today, looks freaking beautiful!!!  One thing though is that I was expecting it to have media keys on it like they show on some of the websites online ->http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M567V6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0AQWY4B5G1ZB7NNQFXXS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I thought I also saw it on the DAS website but its not there anymore.  It is the blue lettering on the function keys.

The keys feel great, but definitely will take a little bit to get used to as far as not bottoming out.  The keystroke feels a tad heavier than the MS ergo 4000, but not that bad.  The sound is definitely loud though but I love the tactile feel.  I am very satisfied with this purchase.  Typing feels great, makes me want to keep typing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2011, 15:24:06 by rsantos97 »

Offline Bucky

Joining the club
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 15:39:01 »
Quote from: rodya;351157
eoe to eekack

Did I do that right?

If you want to retain the sense (and money) that statement suggests you still possess, leave this place immediately and forget it ever existed.

Its funny how I would not have thought I would all of the sudden want multiple keyboards, but now I definitely have this 'itch' to get more mech boards.

Offline rsantos97

Joining the club
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 15:44:20 »
Quote from: ripster;351769
Das kinda screwed up on those media keys.  Kinda funny the same pic is rattling around Amazon.  It was only on the market for like two months before getting pulled.
Show Image

Did they have tech issues with it? Oh wells, this gives me an excuse to get the Griffin PowerMate.

Offline rsantos97

Joining the club
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 17:24:09 »
Quote from: ripster;351779
If you do tell  me why mine keeps dropping out.  Win7 64bit.

Ah damn! Well that sucks. Are there any other good usb media control? I just want something to control the volume.

P.S. I am freaking loving this keyboard.  The more I type, the more I like it and want to keep typing.  I also have a pair of red ESC keys coming in the mail from Signature Plastics.

Offline Zet

Joining the club
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 18:21:05 »
Quote from: rsantos97;351806
Ah damn! Well that sucks. Are there any other good usb media control? I just want something to control the volume.

P.S. I am freaking loving this keyboard.  The more I type, the more I like it and want to keep typing.  I also have a pair of red ESC keys coming in the mail from Signature Plastics.

Santos, I have an advice for you, if you haven't already figured it out on yourself, but if you use windows, you could install AutoHotKey and have the scripts for the media buttons, although this won't give you the blue lettering with the media icons on your F1-8 keys, but will be able to easily do the same or better.

Just look around for the scripts and you will find it ;)