Author Topic: German Layout Tenkeyless?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline SVC

German Layout Tenkeyless?
« on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 13:15:05 »
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking into getting a mechanical keyboard, as I've become rather sick of my rubber-dome keyboard, which is starting to loose any kind of feel after about 8 or maybe 9 years of use. Since my sister is using a Cherry G80-3000 with blue mx switches, I already had the chance to test them, but my fingers get tired after typing a lot, so I'm thinking of getting a keyboard with mx browns.

The keyboard is mainly going to be used for work and writing, but I also like to play some games from time to time. I've used keyboards with the American key layout for about a year and never got used to it in any way, so I would love the keyboard to have a German layout with the big enter key and no re-lettering involved.

Since I'm using a mouse most of the time, I started looking for a tenkeyless keyboard, hoping it's going to be more comfortable than using a full sized keyboard with a numpad I'm never using anyways.

The only keyboard I found, that fits these requirements was the filco tenkeyless, which then turned out to only be available again on the 15th of July (at Keyboard Co). After looking around the internet for a couple of hours, I did not find an other place in Europe selling them right now, nor an other tenkeyless board with a German layout.

As I don't really have the overview most people here seem to have, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. Does anyone know another tenkeyless board with a German layout, that is currently available? I would also probably take one with mx blue switches and get used to the slightly larger actuation force (as I love the clicking). Or is the only way for me to get what I want simply waiting the 2 months?

I hope someone can help. Thanks already for any answers.

svc

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 13:25:30 »
wlcm 2 gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline RiGS

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 13:43:50 »
Sieg Heil!

Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline SVC

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:00:56 »
But the Cherry ML 41000 would have ML switches (the name would imply that at least), right? Well I guess I will have to wait until they have them back in stock then... I think it's a little sad though that there aren't any more tenkeyless boards out there with layouts other than the American layout.

It would probably translate to "Willkommen bei Geekhack!" or "Willkommen auf Geekhack!" btw

Also RiGS, have a look at this. ^.^
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:05:24 by SVC »

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:07:38 »
No, there's not a real alternative around.

I had the same problem couple a weeks ago... I started with a Cherry G80-3000 with blue switches but after some weeks, got annoyed by the clicking - especially when working at night. I looked for an ISO board but I too only found the 15th of July ETA for the German tenkeyless. As I'm using a different German layout (NEO), I really only needed the ISO layout and got a UK board (88 keys). I did want to go blanck but the blanck keycaps weren't ETAed until yesterday so I forgot about it and am now a happy user of the UK tenkeyless mx brown. I touch type except for the numbers so the different lettering doesn't bother me at all.

So, you can
a) wait until July 15th
b) get a UK board and live with the different letters
c) get a UK board and buy blanck keycaps or try to get a used cherry board with mx switches on ebay and swap the keys (but: the spacebar and the capslock cannot be easily swapped as the holders for the stabilizers are off-centered on the cherry keys) - there are some used cherry g80s and such around.

Hope that might help you a bit.

Offline SVC

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:15:31 »
Well it's not so much the lettering that's bothering me,but the smaller enter key and the larger shift key on the british layout. I used the layout for quite some time, but after a year still kept hitting the wrong keys all the time. I'm just wondering, is there any other European layout, that has the same key sizes and shapes, as keys on the German layout? I could probably get along with different lettering and then put on different keys later.

If Obama was Irish he couldn't have run for president, could he? I thought that was the whole discussion in the US with the Tea Party saying he was Indonesian or something...

edit: That's what I thought initially as well Ripster...
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:18:54 by SVC »

Offline Haes

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:23:23 »
Quote from: ripster;350800
Wilkommen die Geekhack! (der?)

Nicht.  Nein.  ...

In this case "Willkommen bei Geekhack!" ... nethermind.

So what about Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless QWERTZ http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_search.asp?SG=10040?
But as you said already you have to wait. Propably longer as inspected...
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:25:49 by Haes »
Daily Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blue) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Future Gaming Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Red) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Favorite Switches: Cherry MX Blue > Cherry MX Red  > Cherry MX Ergo Clears > Cherry MX Black > Cherry MX Brown | Interessting in: Topre Realforce , Noppoo Choc Mini & KBC Poker[/COLOR]

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:25:41 »
Are you a DIY guy?
Tenkeyless Mods

perhaps a Raptor K1 is an alternative - but cherry blacks

but filco is more sexy ;)

go for the UK version:
UK Filco Tenkeyless
blues are avail
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:28:10 by CeeSA »

Offline SVC

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 14:40:39 »
The Raptor is quiete nice, but I think you can only get the version with black switches anymore, though I think someone mentioned one with brown switches somewhere I think. That might just be a legend though. I guess I will have to dig through ebay.
The UK layout might work, but it's missing the one switch below the enter key. I guess I could get over that though, as it's pretty close.

Haes, what do you mean with it taking loger than expected? So actually longer than July 15th

edit: DIY, not so much... Also, why do three of the keyboards only have three arrow keys?

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 16:58:38 »
have a closer look, the left arrow is next to the right arrow ;)

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 06:59:43 »
"The UK layout might work, but it's missing the one switch below the enter key. I guess I could get over that though, as it's pretty close."

I had a closer look and could not find anything missing:

German:

UK:

Offline agor

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 07:16:05 »
Because ISO Layouts always have the same amount of keys and the same shapes aswell, just different lettering.
Or not?
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline RiGS

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 08:21:41 »
Yes.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline SVC

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 12:34:48 »
I only had a look at the keyboard I have right here, which then seems to not be the standard German layout, as it has a larger J-shaped enter key which takes up the space of one of the regular keys. That key (for # and ') then traveled below the enter key to the right side of the shift key. I guess I should have had a closer look around, instead of just assuming my layout is the only right one.

Anyways, that's great. Thanks a lot for that. I think I'm just going to get the UK layout then and look around for some German cherry mx key-caps.

btw CeeSA, I overlooked that as well... Isn't that kind of impractical?

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 13:22:06 »
What would you think of a G80-1800? I have one for sale too *hint,hint*

Modding these boards to other switches is really easy, all you need is the switches and a small flat head screwdriver.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline nolo

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 13:46:44 »
Hi, the FKBN88M/GRB2 is a FKBN88M/UKB2 only with a few other keycaps ...

You can see it on the identification plate of my FKBN88MC/GRB2:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 18624[/ATTACH]

Remark: CE but no FCC :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2011, 14:06:58 by nolo »

Offline Zet

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 20:00:12 »
Welcome to Geek Hack,

My personal advice, noting that you cannot get used to the USA layout (just like me, I speak spanish and I like the traditional spanish layout (105 keys)):

Be patience ;(

Offline nolo

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 16:15:13 »
What about this one ?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 18623[/ATTACH]

It's a FKBN88M/UKB2 (lots on stock) with Filco 105/88NP keycaps (lots on stock).
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2011, 04:07:00 by nolo »