Author Topic: DXT Vertical mouse?  (Read 6157 times)

Offline sordna

DXT Vertical mouse?
« on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 22:23:34 »
Has anyone seen / tried this?
http://kinesis-ergo.com/dxt.htm

Seems interesting you use a "pen grip" (fingertips close together).
Few buttons though (3).

[video=youtube;9NmJ3NIQ2NA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NmJ3NIQ2NA[/video]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 23:48:41 »
palm or claw grip?
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Techguru

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 May 2011, 06:26:43 »
I have used this mouse for 3 months now! Really helped with my discomfort in my arm and shoulder. Def worth a try. It has more than 3 buttons. Its got 3 DPI settings and left /right hand button.

Offline sordna

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 01:56:01 »
Those buttons don't count. I'm talking about buttons that can do actions on the computer, like buttons 6-7 (typically horizontal scroll), 8, 9, 10, etc.
Anyway, can you tell me how hard it is to press the left, right and middle (scrollwheel) button compared to say a standard microsoft mouse (which has lighter buttons than most). Even better if you can use the highly scientific and yet easy to find Rip-O-Meter tool: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6189
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Techguru

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 04:06:52 »
I read somewhere but can't remember the webpage that the DXT uses the same microswitches as Logitech etc (think it's Omron)

I have a Correx Gramm meter from uni which gave the following results.

Left click DXT (just above the scroll wheel) 75-80 grams.

Right Click DXT (Just below the scroll wheel) 75-80 grams.

Middle click DXT (not very accurate test) 90-100 grams. ( does not sound like the same switch as the left and right click)

Tested my standard Logitech mouse which gave the following results.

Left & right click (next to scroll wheel) 75-80 grams.

Middle click (not very accurate test) 90 grams.

For you info, i use the left/right handed button all the time which is why i bought the mouse.

Offline Findecanor

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 06:51:10 »
Good that there is some non-sensitive area above the "left" mouse button. I find that with the Evoluent, I tend to revert to hold my index finger on top of the mouse. I suppose that with the DXT, I am prevented from doing that.

Quote from: Techguru;353556
Middle click DXT (not very accurate test) 90-100 grams. ( does not sound like the same switch as the left and right click)

Inside most mice with a scroll wheel, the switch for middle-click is not under the wheel, but on the side of it, under one end of the wheel's axis. The other end of the axis is fixed.
Because the axis is pressed in the middle, there is lever action that increases the force needed to actuate the switch at the expense of travel.
Some mice -- especially the tilt-wheel mice -- have the scroll wheel in a cradle, with the switch in front of or behind the cradle.
🍉

Offline sordna

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 08:30:47 »
Quote from: Techguru;353556
I have a Correx Gramm meter from uni which gave the following results.

Oh, wonderful, thank you so much! And welcome to Geekhack!

Offline sordna

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 08:56:52 »
Hmm, looks like there are different Correx meters depending on the range of forces you need to measure. The one that goes from 10-100 cN seems perfect for keyboard/mice measurements!
Amazon has something sorta similar for $156, I searched for dynamometer gauge:
http://www.amazon.com/GD-25-Gauge-Dynamometer-30-250-grams/dp/B00481TFFI/

these things come in different names, dynamometer gauge, push/pull tension gauge, pressure gauge, force gauge etc. Rip-O-Meter seems more of a standard :-)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 10:08:41 »
Quote from: ripster;353613
A $10 roll of nickels is also a lot cheaper than a $250 Correx.

a $10 roll of nickels would be huge. how about five $2 rolls?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline sordna

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 10:23:00 »
We've veered off topic, what do you all think about this vertical mouse? I like the fact it has a slim grip, seems well suited for fine work.

Offline Findecanor

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 10:40:59 »
Heh... No, you got banned for spamming about it!
🍉

Offline Techguru

DXT Vertical mouse?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 11:03:57 »
As I said I love this mouse. You can really fly around the screen with tiny finger movements instead of large whole arm movements which reduce accuracy.
The forces are perfect for me as it gives good tactile feedback!

The one downside is there is not a wireless version yet and the price! I assume the price will come down in the future?

It's got some good feedback on Amazon.co.uk - http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003ZK73WK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1