Author Topic: Cherry key stem 3D files?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Wibox

Cherry key stem 3D files?
« on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 15:22:39 »
Hi all; I hope this is in the right section.

I was wondering if anyone had or knew where to get 3D modeling files for cherry key stems, something in the following formats:

IGES (.igs)
STEP (.stp)
SolidWorks (.sldprt)
ProE (.prt)
Parasolid (.x_t and .x_b)
ACIS (.sat)
AutoCAD (.dwg, 3D only)
Autodesk Inventor (.ipt)

I was toying around with the idea of prototyping some key stems to try out different things; I wanted to see if a file like this existed already before going out and making one.

Thanks!
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 20:57:48 »
That's actually a pretty cool idea. Especially if you have access to a 3D printer for rapid prototyping. You could just pop the stem into an existing Cherry switch.

Wish I had a 3D printer now :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 21:26:07 »
I wonder if anybody here has a RepRap? And if so... we should get that person to make some custom keycaps and see if they'd be worth anything.

Offline Wibox

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 22:32:22 »
3D printers are a good idea. I was just going to send the CAD files off to a prototyping shop- they are much cheaper than making injection molds. Some of my ideas are to make the "mexican jumping bean" with some other key stem "legs" besides the blues.. Clears feel more tactile to me, minus the click, and I have a feeling it has to do with those feet. Could make things like a more tactile blue.

I saw that Cherry actually has some CAD files of a few of their switch parts, but not the MX...
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline Zet

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 23:09:47 »
this brought to my mind, a linear clicky switch :O

Offline hemflit

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 May 2011, 13:46:16 »
Easy 3D printing to order:
http://www.shapeways.com
http://www.ponoko.com
Haven't used them yet myself.

Offline Wibox

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 May 2011, 15:45:08 »
Yeah, I don't think 3D printing would be good, mostly because it isn't high resolution enough. Prototyping is the way to go with this.

Still missing CAD files though. Does anyone have an account on otd that can ask the Koreans?