Author Topic: Access-brand cashier/teller terminal keyboards  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Access-brand cashier/teller terminal keyboards
« on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 18:01:37 »
Having finally thought to search Google, it only took me a few minutes to find this:

Access Ltd Programmable Point of Sale Keyboards

The top one is even clearly marked "Lloyds TSB" which is where I saw it – appears to be the AKC098 model. (Edit: Sorry – all the example models start half-way down the page. The image at the top of the page is clearly a British model…)

At the moment at least, the spec sheets say Cherry MX. Cherry MX blue clickers are very plastic-on-plastic and rattly, and this keyboard emitted a very deep, sharp, resounding click like you'd only expect from vintage ALPS or Monterey.

I felt a strong desire to rob the bank, not for the money, but for all the keyboards! If those were Cherries, they can get a sound out of them like nobody else on earth can.

"This is a hold up! Gimmeh all ur Cherriez and no-one will get hurt!"
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2011, 18:06:20 by Daniel Beardsmore »
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 02:27:30 »
All access 'boards are plate mounted cherry black.  The sound is most likely the user bottoming out.  They pop up on ebay every now and again.  Or you could buy my black AKC127...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 02:50:33 »
If Cherry MX black is anything like the BBC Micro keyboard, then I'll pass :) I don't really care for linear – I like tactile. (I don't know what model switches the Beeb has, they're linear Cherry clears.)

I watched a video last night of an old 286 "laptop" large enough to have full-size Cherry MX blue switches, and they had exactly the same sound as they do to this day. I was hoping that there was a way to get MX blues to sound better :P
Bore Awards

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 03:16:30 »
you could always mod an access board...I love my access with blues.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 07:12:20 »
Quote from: Daniel Beardsmore;354025
If Cherry MX black is anything like the BBC Micro keyboard, then I'll pass :) I don't really care for linear – I like tactile. (I don't know what model switches the Beeb has, they're linear Cherry clears.)

The blacks are much better than the switches in the BBC Micro. I dont think the BBC has Cherry switches, there were a few vendors who had that cross-like slider design.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2011, 07:14:49 by ch_123 »

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 June 2011, 12:57:29 »
ch_123: Define "better" …

Ascaii: Having listened to another POS terminal keyboard being operated (similar design, don't know what brand), I would have to concur that they just have a superior bottoming out sound, as there was no click. I think MX blacks do sound subtly better than browns, from videos I've seen, but I've never used blacks.
Bore Awards

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 17:53:06 »
Quote from: ch_123;354637
The blacks are much better than the switches in the BBC Micro. I dont think the BBC has Cherry switches, there were a few vendors who had that cross-like slider design.

They're not Cherry MX compatible, that's for sure. I've got a Cherry PANIC keycap from Fentek that's spherical, therefore useless unless you've replaced all your keycaps. I thought it would be funny to use it on my BBC Micro where it almost matches (except that has textured key tops), but it doesn't fit – the '+' of the stem is thicker on the Beeb.

I also suspect that the switches are dampened, on account of the keyboard having almost zero bottoming out sound and an uncharacteristic soft landing for a mechanical. However, the return thock is far worse than Cherry, and that alone accounts for the noise it makes.
Bore Awards

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 02:59:20 »
So at some point Cherry reduced the size of the '+' on the stem slightly? Grr. I almost had a machine from the early 80s with a red PANIC key on it.

If they're not dampened, then Cherry did a good job of making exceptionally quiet bottoming out switches.
Bore Awards

Offline obinGilchrist

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 03:52:59 »
I dont think the BBC has Cherry switches

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 07:10:19 »
Were there several types of BBC Micro?

The keyboard switches that I have seen from BBC Micro keyboards were white. They look a little bit like some old-school Cherry switches that I have had except that the Cherry switches were white. Those were awful to type on - the Cherry MX Black is wonderful in comparison.
🍉

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 07:16:43 »
Bore Awards