Author Topic: Keyboards of SC2 Pros!  (Read 25594 times)

Offline jpz

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 20:39:10 »
I find it kinda interesting how none of the pros use the naga.  I thought the macro buttons on the mouse like flaming_june said would be very helpful
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline Lanx

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:01:23 »
are macro's allowed in SC tournaments?

Offline HaveANiceDay

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 22:01:23 »
Macros are a convenience for lazy or slow people. After a certain point, they get more in the way than help. That's why professional players don't need them.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline Chobopants

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 22:10:16 »
Quote from: Lanx;357650

Pretty sure the answer is no.

Quote from: Ripster
I wonder if SC2 pros complain when their Filco spacebars get shiny?

They'd be complaining within a game or two if so! Imsto could make a lot of money off of them.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Zet

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 00:32:02 »
Yes, like Chobopants said, Macros and any simillar things are not allowed on tournaments, and also banned by blizzard, if they ever find you have them working while playing.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 00:44:53 »
Quote from: Zet;357753
Yes, like Chobopants said, Macros and any simillar things are not allowed on tournaments, and also banned by blizzard, if they ever find you have them working while playing.

I believe they have a system to detect use of macros. Of course, you can use the macro keys, but I don't think you can assign more than one or two keypresses to a single macro key. I know for sure you can assign a single keystroke to a single macro key, not sure if you can go higher.
Even Razer's official SC2 board has macro keys.

Offline Lanx

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 01:22:15 »
do they just make sure that the macro drivers aren't installed or something? cuz like the coolermaster mice(sentinel/inferno) can load the macros to flashfirmware and not require software.

Offline flaming_june

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 01:32:19 »
Quote from: Lanx;357650

Not at all.

You don't have to use macros to use the keys on the Naga.  All it's use for is so that your main thumb controls the 8,9,0 hotkeys instead or using your left hand and having to reach all the way to the right to use them.  This gives you much more quicker control when playing.  I use 1-4 for units, 4,5,6 for 3 observers or observers and prisms, 7 (on naga mouse) for single or groups of workers, and 8,9,0 on the mouse for buildings.  

No macros used, just less left hand movement and quicker control groups control.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 02:25:26 »
Quote from: Lanx;357764
do they just make sure that the macro drivers aren't installed or something? cuz like the coolermaster mice(sentinel/inferno) can load the macros to flashfirmware and not require software.

From what I gathered I think they look at how many actions are performed compared to input. If the client registers one keystroke but several in-game actions it alerts Blizz that someone's using macro combinations. I think they have the same in WoW, although binding 3-4 keystrokes to a single macro isn't really an issue there, the macro detection in WoW is to prevent people creating extensive macros that are effectively bots.

Might be completely off, but this is what I got out of my research on the subject.

Edit: And about the Naga, now that I think about it I could actually use one. I rarely use control groups past 6 because they're so far away from the main cluster.

Offline david

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 06:57:43 »
Even if you threw in a few macro-key uses, the B.Net system in place can detect the spikes in your APM. Since there is more than a single action occuring nearly simultaneously you'd essentially go from a standard APM to a sudden spike of 11,000 (something like that.)

Offline Zet

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 08:05:44 »
Quote from: vun;357756
I believe they have a system to detect use of macros. Of course, you can use the macro keys, but I don't think you can assign more than one or two keypresses to a single macro key. I know for sure you can assign a single keystroke to a single macro key, not sure if you can go higher.
Even Razer's official SC2 board has macro keys.

Yes, Blizzard says (about SC2), one key stroke, one action, so yeah, you can bind the naga keys to the numbers, or letters, nothing else. And for the most I love my Naga keys, having a faster left hand is faster than having a fast right thumb, mainly cause when you use the Naga keys you will not be moving the mouse, which is a big deal.

Offline david

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 08:37:01 »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to have that many controls on my mouse either.

However, a Terran friend of mine suggested I try this: bind one of his mouse keys to 'siege mode' and the other to 'stim'. I thought those were valid options as in the heat of the battle you can hit those easily without forgetting.

Offline Mazora

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 08:57:00 »
I do not agree.

Quote from: MasterBlaster;356918
people have a good ideea what keyboards sc pros use but not so much about the mice , i m curios because the mouse is heavly used as well for uber fast clicking. If you have mouse info plz include that as well
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Zet

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 12:46:40 »
I know this is kind of going more off the topic, but does more expensive mouses have better switches for the clicks? perhaps more responsive, or durable? or mainly they are all the same? I'm thinking about opening my naga, and replace the switch... with another one from a cheap mouse or the right click of a good mouse. Could someone point me in the right direction as for where to look for guidance doing this?

Thanks a lot!

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:06:47 »
if they ban macros, they should ban koreans
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Lester

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:54:28 »
Quote from: ripster;357959
Hah, the best Caucasian Starcraft players had stem cell transfusions in Korea.
lol.

Offline HaveANiceDay

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:11:37 »
That explains idra's stay in Korea!
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:18:56 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;358085
That explains idra's stay in Korea!

Doesn't explain why he got thrown out, though.
What does explain it, however, is the 9000 page report on his behaviour.

Offline flaming_june

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 18:10:45 »
Quote from: david;357832
Yeah, I wouldn't want to have that many controls on my mouse either.

However, a Terran friend of mine suggested I try this: bind one of his mouse keys to 'siege mode' and the other to 'stim'. I thought those were valid options as in the heat of the battle you can hit those easily without forgetting.

Yup, in fact, one of my mouse button on Naga is H for hold, some are f2-5 for saved quick pan areas.

Better mouse, sometimes have more durable click buttons, but not always.  A lot about mouses are just hype rather than how good it is.  For example, the naga's sensor is subpar (same sensor as the rat7-9, mamba)

Offline strum4h

Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 01:07:00 »
I was at mlg colombus and Losira's keyboard broke. Twice. Should have gone with a mechanical.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Keyboards of SC2 Pros!
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 01:29:28 »