Author Topic: Replace model m spring  (Read 11008 times)

Offline hglazm

Replace model m spring
« on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 17:35:46 »
I have a model m, quite like it.  However, my cousin was using it and at one point threw a hissy fit, slamming his fists onto it.
I know the running joke is that nothing can destroy a model m, but he found a way.  The E key no longer registers unless completely bottomed out.  So I figure I need to replace the spring or something?

woody

Replace model m spring
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 18:20:00 »
Step one - try this.
If it doesn't resolve your problem, you'll have to open the case and check the pivots (hammers).

Offline TacticalCoder

Replace model m spring
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 18:31:34 »
Quote from: woody;357000
Step one - try this.
If it doesn't resolve your problem, you'll have to open the case and check the pivots (hammers).

Can the hammers be checked by opening the case without needing the bolt mod?

If so, how comes I can't transform an ANSI to ISO and vice-versa without the bolt mod? (I will try to bolt mod one my Ms one of these days but meanwhile I'm curious)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

woody

Replace model m spring
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 18:35:58 »
By opening the case, I meant "it gets complicated".

Offline hglazm

Replace model m spring
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 05:25:30 »
Wait no! Success! The E key now actuates when it should.  However, I now have the problem of it double tapping occasionally with only one keypress

No, no nevermind.  I tried tightening the key slightly and ruined the success  I had.  No longer activates upon press.

I have also manged to remove the spring for the P key and am having severe difficulty putting it back on.  In fact the only spring I can get to go back onto any of the hammers is the one off the E key.  Both springs off the P and R keys refuse to go back onto any hammers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2011, 05:45:59 by hglazm »

Offline chongyixiong

Replace model m spring
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 07:50:23 »
It's a simple fix - don't worry.

Facts gleamed from this thread

Step 1:
Try this, this or this.

Step 2:
Post back when you're successful

Offline hglazm

Replace model m spring
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 23:06:40 »
After managing to remove the springs from 4 other keys to try and see why I couldn't get any of the springs back in, I called it quits and ordered a 122 key terminal keyboard from unicomp to replace it.

Oh well.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Replace model m spring
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 00:20:56 »
You could just buy new hammer/springs from unicomp as well. I imagine that would be easier...
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline hglazm

Replace model m spring
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 22:40:41 »
Alright, after having a bit of a fiasco with getting the wrong 122 key model (I couldnt reassign the keys), I gave up and have been using my DAS blues for awhile.

However, I'm craving that delicious spring action.  I've got the keyboard in question here, and the E and P springs don't actuate correctly.
I've tried twisting them every which way but they refuse to either go on at all or actuate correctly.  Am I doing something wrong?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Replace model m spring
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 12:03:08 »
Bolt-modding is pretty tedious, but makes it easy to take care of these kinds of things.

I am also working with trying to re-map a 122-key model F.

KeyTweak worked for all but a couple of keys, and it is free.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 October 2011, 12:07:04 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hglazm

Replace model m spring
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 01:16:10 »
Quote from: hawkwind;427866
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?8731-Broken-spring&p=156128&viewfull=1#post156128
Right, thats what I've been using to take it on/off.  But when I put it back on, it doesnt seem to go on right.  There's no actuation, though the spring is definitely on.

Offline slueth

Replace model m spring
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 01:23:33 »
You have to twist the spring in, make sure u push it in and compress the spring onto the sping holder thingy. I used a sharpened pencil and put the spring on the pencil point and insert and press into the ^ point.  Or take apart the board and put the hammer spring into the correct spot, if the hammer is out of place you can't use the pencil trick.

Offline hglazm

Replace model m spring
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 01:55:03 »
Alright, I got the P key back on and its working fine.  The E key is FUNCTIONAL, however its insanely mushy (to the point where I don't even notice its actuation).  Do I just need to replace that spring or?

Offline slueth

Replace model m spring
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 01:56:05 »
It is mushy because its not in properly.  It might come to the point of having to take it all apart to fixating the spring properly, iono thats such a hassle, keep trying to get it on.  Try twisting it in. best of luck.

woody

Replace model m spring
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 07:34:00 »
I had a board that due to shipping brutality had a key which clicked much softer and could be described as "mushy".
As suggested by Ripster, I tried Sandy's chopstick method and after some attempts (and failures) I got it right. Guess it takes some practice initially.

EDIT: Take some neighboring keycaps off and compare spring direction - that should give you a clue. Also follow the advice of keeping the board in a certain position while re-seating the spring.