Author Topic: Beige keyboards  (Read 1250 times)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Beige keyboards
« on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 08:15:34 »
Yesterday I decided to put the doubleshots from my old WYSE terminal board on my tenkeyless Filco with browns, putting the caps from the Filco on the WYSE board so I know where they belong if I decide to switch back since they're all blank.

Then I noticed how great the WYSE board looked with black caps for the letters, beige and gray modifiers and numbers and a red esc key.
So naturally now I want a working beige/white/gray keyboard to put prett caps on.

Now, so far I've only dealt with Keyboardco, but the only interesting beige board I can find there is Topre, which is a bit too pricey.
Where in Europe can I find decent beige boards at reasonable prices? Preferably Cherry MX switches, especially reds, blacks or clears as those are the ones I'm interested in trying out.

Also, I'd like keycaps of various colours for it, where would be the best and most convenient place to get some?

Sorry if this is a lengthy and rather unnecessary thread, but my impression is that ordering boards that aren't Filco or Realforce is a scary and complicated process.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Beige keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 10:15:54 »
A Cherry g80-3000 with blacks in beige should be fairly easy to find from Germany around €50. I have a g80-3000 with blacks, and its a good board for a cheap full size pcb mounted.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Beige keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 11:22:46 »
How different is PCB mounted switches from plate mounted ones? Because I love the feel of the plate mounted blacks on the old WYSE board, not sure how PCB mounted would feel.
But I'll look into it, any recommended shops?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Beige keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 11:51:57 »
The biggest con for pcb mount is they do flex a bit, especially on full size as only the bottom plastic is there to make it rigid. I had a WY60 for a few weeks that I also stole double shots off, and out of the 2 I prefer the feeling of the Cherry. It feels a little springier, softer and less dead. Though my comparison may not be fair, as  my Wyse board was in very bad condition, and terminal so i couldn't use it for real typing. This is due to the pcb being softer than steel, so it feels more alive. I can't recommend a specific place to buy one, as I live in the US. I just only know that they are very inexpensive in Germany.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2011, 11:54:35 by lysol »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Beige keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:20:46 »
There were quite a few beige cherry boards when I looked at the German links in the shopping wiki, however everything is in German so I'm having a hard time telling what's what. Even with the help from the cherry dating wiki it's not that easy.

Although what I'd really love is a WYSE board similar to the one I have that can be used with a PC.

Edit: Another issue with the cherry boards is that I don't really like the look of them, at least not from the images I see on the websites.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:33:37 by vun »

Offline Findecanor

Beige keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 15:29:08 »
I use Google Translate a lot ...
🍉