Author Topic: Long time lurker, first time poster with a question!  (Read 1190 times)

Offline constant

Long time lurker, first time poster with a question!
« on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 18:30:27 »
Hey guys,

I'm in the need of some direction. I'm about to start a new job and plan on taking my tenkeyless filco with browns with me to the office. The best part is that I get to indulge in a new keyboard as I've always wanted one with cherry blues.

I want an 'otaku' or blank keyboard layout with cherry blues. Problem is: finding that has proven difficult for yours truly.

I've gotten to the point of almost giving up and buying a das keyboard. It's not a bad option, but it's not ideal for me as I've come to fall in love with using a tenkeyless. That and I read shaky things about build quality. I'm not worried about my keys getting shiny though, my filco had shiny keys within a month. I just type that much.

I guess the question is in multiparts:

- Is there a place where I can get a blank tenkeyless keyboard with cherry blues out there that I'm not cognizant of?

- How highly would you recommend the das being the keyboard cognoscenti that you guys are?

Offline Wallach

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 18:32:59 »
I haven't heard much in the way of bad build quality from Daskeyboards, honestly. Filcos and Daskeyboards come out of the same manufacturer, I think (Costar or something).

The only complaints I usually see about them are the obvious ones; no tenkeyless option, glossy plastic bezel that is easier to get dirty.

Offline prpnightmare

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 19:02:32 »
I have two Das keyboards, and don't worry about build quality, these things are built solid (and pretty heavy, but in a good way). I can't find any wobbling or warping, and it's amazing to type on.

Offline constant

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 20:05:48 »
That's reassuring. Thanks guys. (:

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 05:38:17 »
You could try picking up a used DAS II board. Blank keys, blues. Good build quality because that board was still directly made by cherry (it is a modified g80-3000 USB design with blank keys).

If you are in europe, I actually have a bnib das II that I havent got the time to play around with, so i think im going to sell it.

Other then that, the OCN keys might be your best bet.
http://www.tankguys.com/site-merchandise/overclock-net-pbt-cherry-black-black.html
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 08:07:17 »
Don't forget, if you're a student, the Das has a discount on it, plus free shipping, if you're in the CONUS. I know several people with them who are exceptionally pleased with them, even after having them for quite some time.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball