Author Topic: So, my M10 finally died  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Therac-25

So, my M10 finally died
« on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 12:50:22 »
I got an M10 at the beginning of 2009 that has finally met it's demise, so I'm looking for something new to use.

Are there any of the current crop of mechanical keyboards that have USB hubs in them?  I'm working on a laptop now for work reasons, and it only has 2 USB ports, both of which I use as it is.

If I can't find anything, I'm probably going to get a Unicomp one again, but I was hoping that there might be something cooler.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline Touch_It

So, my M10 finally died
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:08:56 »
i believe the razer blackwidow ultimate has usb + headphone ports.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Therac-25

So, my M10 finally died
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:14:26 »
Isn't that just an M10BL with a different font and Razer logos on it?

I might look into it, as I might be able to find it locally without having to order online.  All the other M10 keyboards use Blues, so I imagine that one does as well? The spec on the ione site doesn't say.   I know there were a couple of other gaming keyboards that used blacks, which are kind of icky to me.

Edit: Wait, if it's anything like the other Razer keyboards, it's just a USB extension cable, not a hub.  I had  the Lycosa and it required a second USB cable to be plugged in to use the USB port on the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:17:02 by Therac-25 »
Model M Mini

Offline Touch_It

So, my M10 finally died
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:17:11 »
Quote from: Therac-25;361834
Isn't that just an M10BL with a different font and Razer logos on it?

I might look into it, as I might be able to find it locally without having to order online.  All the other M10 keyboards use Blues, so I imagine that one does as well? The spec on the ione site doesn't say.   I know there were a couple of other gaming keyboards that used blacks, which are kind of icky to me.

afik they are not the same keyboard but yes afik it does use blues.  overall i think it is a pretty solid board.  idk if the price would be worth it for you or not though

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Therac-25

So, my M10 finally died
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:50:13 »
Hrm, after looking around, the only one I can find that I can actually confirm has a USB hub in it (as opposed to requiring a second USB cable) is the Adesso MKB-135B Pro, which appears to be even cheaper (and allegedly shoddier) than the M10.

Yay.
Model M Mini

Offline False_Dmitry_II

So, my M10 finally died
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:59:53 »
The current das has a hub on it, but it requires two plugs too. Just requiring a second plug doesn't meant that there isn't a hub on the inside, just that the actual keyboard doesn't have to go through the hub.

You could always just get an actual hub.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Bucky

So, my M10 finally died
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 14:01:33 »
I do not love the USB hub on the side of the DAS, I can see it being useful for some stuff there, but I prefer it on the back so it doesn't get in the way of the mouse/mouse pad area. Also I just do not need it enough to devote an extra USB to it.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

So, my M10 finally died
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 14:04:51 »
Yeah, I will probably never use the one on mine.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)