Author Topic: Thinkpad X-series Tablets - Any thoughts?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Thinkpad X-series Tablets - Any thoughts?
« on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 05:49:21 »
Now that I have some decent paying work, I'm thinking of replacing my venerable T61 with something a bit more lightweight and compact. I'm quite interested in the X220T (for those unfamiliar, this is a Thinkpad with a  12.5" screen that can flip around over the keyboard to become a tablet). Has anyone got any experience with them (or any of the prior models such as the X201T/200T/61T etc)? Compared with the standard model, they're more expensive (unsurprisingly) heavier and with less battery power. For some reason, you also forfeit USB 3.0 ports compared with the standard model, so unless the tablet functionality is really good, it's a turkey. In particular, I'd be interested in anyone who has experience using them with Linux.

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 07:10:24 »
the keyboard feels solid, although of course its not full size. However keep in mind that an updated version will soon arrive with IPS panel and sandy bridge cpu for a lower price.

however, if you don't really need the tablet function, don't buy it. it won't be worth it. if you're writing alot by hand and ESPECIALLY in pdf documents, it may be worth it. You will lose the freedom of being able to write on anything in your vacinity though, which is kind of a let-down. IMO, those tablets are only worth it for university students that have access to digital copies.

Offline nodnerb

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 17:37:32 »
I bought a 2nd hand X61T, so several releases prior to the X220T. I am trying to create a comic using the tablet functionality, and so far it works really well. Problems have been with talent, not technicalities!

Mine has a Wacom digitiser with 512 pressure levels. I've never used a Cintiq for the 2056 pressure levels, but they go for $thousands. It's a lot better than using an external Tablet (like the Bamboo) - far more intuitive to see the ink at the end of the pen than disembodied from your hand!

Oh, and I'm using Ubuntu Natty Narwhal, mostly with MyPaint and Inkscape. Artrage with Wine works OK too. Wanted to use Krita but the GUI didn't make any sense for me.

Keyboard is nice enough, at least on par with my previous Powerbook keyboard.
Ergodox, Kinesis contoured (ps/2), Sanwa vertical mouse

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 18:30:15 »
I have a motion tablet, and the X220T is likely to be my next laptop, assuming I buy another one. I use my tablet daily, as a tablet. My original interest in it was as a writing tutor for learning Chinese. You can adjust the sensitivity on the HWR built into Windows 7, from fairly lax to very precise, including stroke order.

But then I realized I could use it to mark up papers that I was reading, assignments that I was grading, and I find the pen a MUCH better alternative to the mouse (as I've said elsewhere, I tend to use either the mouse or the keyboard, but not both at the same time). It's also a lot of fun to use the tablet for games like Diablo. It's much more immediate.

A couple people in my department have the 201 tablets, and while they recommend the extended battery, otherwise they are very happy with the machine. I've used them a few times, and been quite happy with the pressure sensitivity. They were not willing to give up the amazingly impressive HWR in Windows 7, though, so that's what it was running. Plus, for PDF inking, BlueBeam just can't be beat. OneNote and IneSeine are also incredibly nice to have, and I have yet to find suitable replacements in Linux.

For my Linux needs, I just run a VM.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 19:12:37 »
Quote from: ch_123;363260
Now that I have some decent paying work, I'm thinking of replacing my venerable T61 with something a bit more lightweight and compact. I'm quite interested in the X220T (for those unfamiliar, this is a Thinkpad with a  12.5" screen that can flip around over the keyboard to become a tablet). Has anyone got any experience with them (or any of the prior models such as the X201T/200T/61T etc)? Compared with the standard model, they're more expensive (unsurprisingly) heavier and with less battery power. For some reason, you also forfeit USB 3.0 ports compared with the standard model, so unless the tablet functionality is really good, it's a turkey. In particular, I'd be interested in anyone who has experience using them with Linux.

I have an X200t and works OOB, although I haven't spent much time on details like the fingerprint reader.

Android X86 is less mature and requires way more work to be usable.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline cirE

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 19:57:31 »
If you decide that you don't want a tablet and just want a very portable computer, check out the x120e. I jumped on it as soon as it was available on Newegg and I couldn't be any happier with a laptop.
FKBN87MC/EB w/ FKBPRM/B

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 20:02:18 »
Quote from: cirE;377771
If you decide that you don't want a tablet and just want a very portable computer, check out the x120e. I jumped on it as soon as it was available on Newegg and I couldn't be any happier with a laptop.

Great machine, I had both the X100 and the Edge 11 and they were both awesome.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 20:04:24 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 16:38:26 »
For a good laptop I would recommend a Compaq LTE 4. My Compaq LTE 4//40CX has given me 16 years of reliable service with no problems whatsoever!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 20:58:32 »
The X220t seems rather poorly designed given the competition and even past ThinkPad convertibles. I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the X200t or X201t to anyone who didn't insist on the latest Sandy Bridge hardware, though, or even the X61t if you can somehow find one with the SXGA+ AFFS LCD option in working order.