Author Topic: Looking for help in deciding what keyboard to choose (for my first mech)  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Crill

Hi GH,

The time has come for me to step into the world of mechanical keyboards!
After reading up about it on this site, it seems like such a pleasure having one to type and game on.
Seeing as I do both equally, the mx brown switches seemed to be the best for me. The blacks seem too stiff and just not for me, while the blues remain a bit of a mystery with their sound and the supposedly double tap issue.
So browns it is, with a bit more sound than a rubber dome, and a nice light touch.

However the problem now is deciding which exact keyboard to choose.
Currently I'm stuck between the Zowie Celeritas and the Filco Majestouch (fullsize)
The Filco seems to be the safer choice seeing as a lot of people here are very positive about it, but the Zowie seems to have more personality and just appeals to me more.
Both seems to have some problems with their keycaps with Zowie fading out and Filco becoming shiney, I don't know how bad this issue really is for either keyboard.

Also, does anyone know how good the support is for both the Filco and the Zowie?
And I couldn't seem to find how long the warranty is for either, is it just the one year or longer?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
Also if anyone has other recommendations i would be glad to hear them and the reason behind it.
Please keep in mind that I live in the Netherlands so not all keyboards are easy to come by.

Thanks in advance.

ps. Sorry if my English is slightly sloppy, but it isn't my native language ;)

Offline Lester

Looking for help in deciding what keyboard to choose (for my first mech)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 07:45:04 »
What's your budget? And do you prefer a 87 key or 104/108 key keyboard? (tenkeyless or fullsize?)

Offline Crill

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 07:57:11 »
My budget is 100 - 150 euro, give or take.
And I would prefer a fullsize keyboard.

Offline Tony

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 10:59:36 »
Please list the final prices of all keyboards available to you (including shipping cost).
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Crill

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 18:46:37 »
Quote from: Tony;365282
Please list the final prices of all keyboards available to you (including shipping cost).

The keyboards which I have looked into (apart from black switches because they just don't seem something for me):
ZOWIE Celeritas: 113 euro
Filco (almost every type from keyboardco): ~150 euro
Das keyboard: 130 -140 euro

Can't seem to find a fullsize Leopold unfortunatly.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 18:53:10 »
If you want a Leopold FC500, you'd need to go on the japanese Leopold site. But it looks like only red switch is available right now.

Offline MrGPhantome

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 18:53:35 »
It's your first Mech board right? I would just get the Zowie then, especially since you already showed initial interest in it. It's cheaper too, which is nice just incase you don't like the cherry switches.
"It\'s true what they say... If you dress Hitler up in a nice sweater... He\'s still f****** Adolf Hitler." - Cinema Snob

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 00:49:43 »
With the price you listed, I recommend 1. Zowie 2. Filco 3. Das
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm