Author Topic: Can anyone identify this keyboard?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline xargos

Can anyone identify this keyboard?
« on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 10:38:28 »
I recently remembered that I had an older mechanical AT keyboard collecting dust that I had never tested.  I decided to clean it up the best I could and give it a try, and it works pretty well.  Unfortunately I can't seem to identify it, however.

Here is what the board looks like.  Yes, it is quite yellowed.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19426[/ATTACH]

This is the only real identification I can find on it.  There is no branding inside, either.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19427[/ATTACH]

I was also wondering about the keyswitches on this.  Their feel reminds me of the Alps White in the Focus FK-2001, but they don't appear to be actual Alps switches.  They appear to be labeled OC2.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19425[/ATTACH]

So, does anyone have any ideas on this?

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 11:34:10 »
Any idea on the brand/manufacturer?  Because I have no idea.  Hopefully someone will know.
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 11:52:00 »
According to the FCC database, it was submitted by Podworld Co Ltd, fromt Taiwan, in 1988. Not sure how helpful that is, but there it is.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 12:06:34 »
Those Asians are so darn confusing.
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline qtan5370

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 12:15:40 »
Yellow switches, I saw it somewhere last week.

----sorry, I am wrong, that's different one. Check Japanese brand, many of them are made in Tai Wan
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 June 2011, 12:20:48 by qtan5370 »
Look for Keyboard? Check my offers. I have most major keyboard and some caps for you, if you don\'t see it there, ask me. I am Top rated seller on eBay now, and have retail store in China selling keyboard and other gaming staffs.

My eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/E-sports-Gaming-equipments?_rdc=1

My store(lower price than eBay): http://www.keyboardwow.com

Offline xargos

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 12:28:23 »
Quote from: theferenc;365300
According to the FCC database, it was submitted by Podworld Co Ltd, fromt Taiwan, in 1988. Not sure how helpful that is, but there it is.

D'oh!  Why didn't I think to reference the FCC database?  Thanks!

Quote from: ripster;365304
Does it look like this?  Got any nickels?

Yep, it definitely looks like that.  If that is the one from this thread (just found that looking up Podworld), then it appears that my keyboard is almost the same as that one but in a different casing.

A quick RipOMeter test shows 55g force.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19433[/ATTACH]

This keyboard is definitely a relatively comfortable one, but if I decide to use it I will need to get a Blue Cube and use it as a USB keyboard.  The PS/2 port on my regular desktop hates older keyboards, this one and a Model M that I own included.  I would also want to replace the yellowed key caps if possible.

Offline xargos

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 13:39:33 »
For reference, this is what the keyswitches look like taken apart.  The photos aren't the best since they were taken with my phone, but I think they show well enough what they look like.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19438[/ATTACH]   [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19439[/ATTACH]

Offline xargos

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 14:23:34 »
Quote from: ripster;365372
Oh that is weird.

Thanks for the pics.

So just to be sure the switch assembly does NOT look like this?

Nope.  Definitely a little different than I expected, too, but it seems to work.

Is there a good source to buy a set of Alps style key caps?  I'd have to check to know for sure, but it looks like they would fit.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 16:46:09 »
Fentek sells them, last I checked. If you just want to try though, I've got some ALPS keys sitting in a drawer, not doing much of anything. Not a whole set, but even just one would tell you if they work or not. Where are you? Maybe I can just mail them.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline xargos

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 18:43:41 »
Thanks for the offer, but I do have access to some to try.  I may look into Fentek to see about getting a set, though.