Author Topic: Need a new mouse, recommendations?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Edogaa

Need a new mouse, recommendations?
« on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:30:14 »
I currently use a Logitech G5, that constantly turns on and off (I dropped it by accident a few times) so I am wondering if anyone recommends any new mouse.

I don't know the exact size of my hand, but I'm right handed and have rather large hands (well, not REALLY large, but they're pretty big in comparison to most people it seems). I'm not sure how much DPI matters but I use two monitors and the largest one is at 2048x1152, the max DPI on my mouse 'feels too fast' till I lower my 'acceleration' in windows. Though, I am not sure how much DPI matters and how it effects accuracy. I was considering getting a 'razer' mouse but I'm not sure, so recommendations?

I've been too indecisive, if possible a decent mousepad too. :P

Offline jpz

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 22:58:34 »
One thing that i reccomend when buying a mouse it to hold it first.  Some people find razer mice to be very uncomfortable but some really like them.  I have a razer deathadder 3500 because it fit my price range and i like how it fits my hand.  There is always the microsoft x8 which is a big mouse but its constantly on sale right now because they are getting rid of their x lineup.  If you liked how the G5 fit then you might want to look into the G500 or G700.  I know someone who likes their mice to wider so he went with the G9x which is a very good mouse.
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline ironman31

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 23:02:40 »
I find that people with larger hands like the deathadders a lot more, and people with smaller hands enjoy the logitechs.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline MrAndersson

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 08:47:02 »
I love my 3.0 but i am wondering if i should upgrade it - its getting kinda old :P

Offline qtan5370

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 14:27:05 »
It depend on your hand feeling, finger length......Try it would be the best way.
Look for Keyboard? Check my offers. I have most major keyboard and some caps for you, if you don\'t see it there, ask me. I am Top rated seller on eBay now, and have retail store in China selling keyboard and other gaming staffs.

My eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/E-sports-Gaming-equipments?_rdc=1

My store(lower price than eBay): http://www.keyboardwow.com

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 21:00:15 »
Do you play any games? What sensitivity do you use if you do?
Some people can half-palm on claw grip mice and others can claw on palm grip and prefer it that way, so it's really just personal preference of mice comfort levels.

IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - Problems if you move mouse very fast in-game (over 1 metre a second). Palm grip.
Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1 - Problems if you move mouse very fast in-game (over 1 metre a second). Claw grip.
IntelliMouse Optical 1.1 - Problems if you move mouse very fast in-game (over 1 metre a second). Claw grip.
Razer DeathAdder - Some have jittering. Palm grip.
Razer Abyssus - Some have jittering. Claw grip.
Logitech MX518/G400 (G400 is newer) - Angle snapping/drift control/prediction. Palm grip.

Laser mice are **** but the G9x has one of the most advanced lasers currently out, the Xai is good too but 9/10 of them are really bad and have a lot of positive acceleration.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline Edogaa

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 16:17:35 »
Starcraft II, Warcraft III and on 'rare' occasions FPS's and a lot of times some RPGs.

On a side note: I still prefer WCIII over SCII, sadly all of my friends are obsessed with SC more and I still dislike what Blizzard did with their Battle.net acting as the DRM implementation for their system. :/

Anyways, in SCII, I'm still experimenting with DPI settings, on occasions I'll play at max DPI at other times half of that (the max DPI for this mouse is 2000). Though, the mouse feels really 'jittery' in a way as well at times. Though, I'm not really using a decent mousepad and for some reason I hate the feel of this mouse. I don't know about the weight of the mouse, I did at some point take off the weights since I no longer really cared too much. To be honest, I got this mouse since it was recommended to me and I wanted a 'laser mice' that I heard was really good, never really felt too happy with it.

Thing is, I always found DPI a little confusing, since I noticed higher DPI settings make mice move 'too fast' on occasions unless you lower the accelerations but I heard arguments against that on some places on the web. How much does DPI matter and how does accerleration effect the 'DPI'?  Why did you say laser mice 'are ****,' also I've noticed a few reviews mention the sensor on the mouse suck if so, how important is the sensor?  Though it is just personal preference, as you said. :/ I'm just being really indecisive, I asked my friends and they said while the stores they've gone too have laser mice, they don't really have 'razer' ones.

I do know I will want a decent mousepad, since from what I've read depending on the material those are made it can really effect mouse accuracy in a really positive degree. Also, in FPSs I have used the increased speed in DPI before but only because I was stuck in a level on crysis where I needed the extra speed.

I don't know what grip I use either.  Never paid enough attention to know for sure. :/

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 09:35:25 »
The sensor is probably the most important part of the mouse. The optical ones I listed all have decent sensors.

I say that laser mice are **** because they're just not as good as optical. Most of them jitter, have x/y axis problems, unable to track at high speeds, the hole of the sensor is a lot bigger and if a TINY bit of hair or dust gets in the sensor it starts tracking horribly and you need to blow it out or tap it out which could cost you in a game. Optical is just a lot smoother though the latest laser mice are actually getting a lot better compared to the old laser technology.

DPI is just personal preference, though if you use a high sensitivity it's a lot better to use more than 400/450 DPI because otherwise you start skipping pixels. Acceleration doesn't affect the DPI but how the speed of the mouse is translated with the DPI to pixels. Windows sensitivity should always be on the 6th notch otherwise it also skips pixels which is bad.

I don't understand why you would need extra DPI on a certain level in Crysis. :)

It's pretty much all personal preference though the majority of people use these mouse mats and they should be relatively easy to purchase.

PureTrak Talent
SteelSeries QCK+
SteelSeries Heavy
Allsop Raindrop XL
Razer Goliathus Speed/Control
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline Edogaa

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 13:23:54 »
You've expressed everything I hated with the Logitech G5. XD

Now I' just being indecisive with what Microsoft, razer and steelseries mice. lol

Huh, it seems a bit of googling shows that some of the 'razer' mice get all sorts of weird issues within a year or two. Were the mouse would get double click or tracking issues. :/

I've decided to just go with the razer abyssus.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 June 2011, 17:29:00 by Edogaa »

Offline Edogaa

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 03:04:12 »
Okay, I want to make one lastp osti n this thread, unless anyone has any questions but THIS new mouse is awesome. It doesn't have the issues I had with the G5, it can move quickly accross the screen and with acceleration and a few other things disabled it just feels so sweet! D:

Best mouse I've used in forever, hopefully it doesn't give me any troubles in a 9 months to a year. :\

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 04:13:00 »
Can we see a pic of you holding the G5?

Might help us choose a shape.