Author Topic: Major Differences between the Happy Hacking Keyboard Models?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline livewire1337

Major Differences between the Happy Hacking Keyboard Models?
« on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 14:28:59 »
Why is it that the Happy Hacking Keyboard has such HUGE differences in prices between models?

Like the HHKB Professional 2 Type-S is almost 300 dollars, whereas the HHKB Lite 2 is only $65!?

What are the technical differences between the different models? From what I have found is just that the type-S is the newest model and a little quieter but does not have the inverted T arrow keys.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 14:30:02 »
The lite model is a normal rubber dome KB, no topre switches.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 14:31:14 »
Topre keyboards are notoriously expensive.

Offline livewire1337

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 14:31:42 »
Oh, ok. :D

Offline Ollum

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 15:34:46 »
Can you explain why? I mean I read the wiki and stuff but still dont understand why.
I mean are they so much better than my cherry mx brown?

Offline ktkr

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 15:41:09 »
Quote from: Ollum;369595
Can you explain why? I mean I read the wiki and stuff but still dont understand why.
I mean are they so much better than my cherry mx brown?

They're sold at that price because people still buy them. They're in for the profit, like everybody else. Filcos and others are grossly overpriced too when comparing to the actual manufacturing costs.

As for the second question, it's completely subjective. I think pretty much anything is better than browns.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 00:26:39 »
Quote from: ktkr;369602
They're sold at that price because people still buy them. They're in for the profit, like everybody else. Filcos and others are grossly overpriced too when comparing to the actual manufacturing costs.

As for the second question, it's completely subjective. I think pretty much anything is better than browns.

Whereas I think browns are the best overall switch for someone to buy. It's all opinion. :)

- Typed on my Filco Black
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline JAMM0N

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 02:14:34 »
i think browns and reds are for the budget users so it seems. ranging from 100-200 shipped for a keyboard.

filco's are expensive and so are topre's cause their in demand so to speak and topres are hard to find cause out of the country. but still as users stated because of manufacturing they cost a lost -_-
Computer: Filco Linear Cherry MX RED XBOX: HHKB Pro
Incoming: KBC Poker BROWN

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 03:46:48 »
What? Reds are for budget users? Black is the cheapest and most common switch. Reds are hard to find and always command a premium. The other 3 are in the middle with clears becoming rarer since they aren't being made anymore IIRC.

Quote from: JAMM0N;369821
i think browns and reds are for the budget users so it seems. ranging from 100-200 shipped for a keyboard.

filco's are expensive and so are topre's cause their in demand so to speak and topres are hard to find cause out of the country. but still as users stated because of manufacturing they cost a lost -_-
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 04:15:40 »
There's not a big difference in cost of various flavors of cherry switches, and altoug blue ones are obviously sligty more complicate to assemble they are sold usually at the same price or less than the other cherry switches.

Clears are discontinued in eastern countries but still commonly available in Europe and US

And topres aren't expensive to manufacture
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)