Author Topic: Reviving an 1800. One key doesn't work.  (Read 1468 times)

Offline BiNiaRiS

Reviving an 1800. One key doesn't work.
« on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 04:16:05 »
So i've got this G80-1819 that I've been fixing. It originally had the AT cable chopped off, was missing a ton of keys and 2 of the switches had been pushed/bent and they didn't work right.

I've got it 99% working now. I unsoldered the 2 iffy keys and replaced them with ones that I knew worked. Replaced the = key, tested it and it worked. Then i replaced the D key, tested it, and it worked. So I put it all back together and now the = key doesn't work.

I thought it may have been the jumpers. When i used a solder sucker on them, it peeled the traces off. I figured it wasn't an issue...i just looked for where they connected and connected them with wire. I ended up desoldering the switch and and putting a new one on...same problem.

What should I be doing here to test this issue. I'm at a loss as for what the problem could be. I've looked for anything that could be on the PCB. There's no dripped solder or foreign objects.

Help meeeeee! :)
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Magna224

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:32:21 »
Who needs the equals/plus key? =P
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:59:45 »
Continuity tester / multimeter FTW.

It seems quite easy to damage these Cherry PCBs indeed. BTDT. Thank goodness for jumper wires. I guess one of the switch pins needs one, too.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 20:02:08 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;370602
Continuity tester / multimeter FTW.

It seems quite easy to damage these Cherry PCBs indeed. BTDT. Thank goodness for jumper wires. I guess one of the switch pins needs one, too.

I got out my multimeter again and found the problem this time. One of the 2 switch pins wasnt connected to anything else but the jumper so it was dead. Jumped it with a wire and it works perfectly. Thanks!

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 02:15:01 »
I think you just revived a lost cause, good job.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 15:07:15 »
Congrats.

Last time I did this, I had to dremel a bit out of a support brace in the bottom case that was conflicting with the jumper wire. Had to get inventive to find out the exact position (women's cosmetics stuff tends to be useful).

What fun.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 July 2011, 22:41:14 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;372607
Congrats.

Last time I did this, I had to dremel a bit out of a support brace in the bottom case that was conflicting with the jumper wire. Had to get inventive to find out the exact position (women's cosmetics stuff tends to be useful).

What fun.

Haha damn...yeah I'm just glad I got it working. Most of the time I'd just say meh, but US layout G80-1800s aren't exactly the easiest thing to find.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g