Author Topic: Matias Keyboard for mac any good?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Epic0range

Matias Keyboard for mac any good?
« on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 16:03:34 »
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matias/FK302/

Does anyone have experience with this keyboard? It looks nice, and I like that it also has a few USB ports, but how is it to type on and quality wise?

Thanks.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
KBC Poker w/ PBT

Offline MrGPhantome

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 16:44:14 »
Functionally I thought it worked great. No ghosting and full 6KRO. Having the Mac Specific keys are really nice as well. It feels sturdy enough, though some of the construction is pretty sketchy like the plastic casing. Having USB ports is a huge plus since I use a lot of flash drives and RF wireless mice.

Keys are simplified alps "fukka." It's very tactile and loud, but also very stiff and requires a lot of force to actuate. Keys are unstable though and are much harder to push if you don't press keys right in the center.

It's ok, Though I prefer the Mac Modular from DSI.
"It\'s true what they say... If you dress Hitler up in a nice sweater... He\'s still f****** Adolf Hitler." - Cinema Snob

Offline Trueepower

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 16:50:25 »
I was considering all keyboards before ordering a Filco. I haven't actually tried this board, but the batch of matias pros were not very well liked. I guess they had some problems with them. The new batch seems to be of high quality. There are some people who like them a lot. Definitely, an acquired taste though with the switch. It's a heavy switch I believe like 65 to 70 grams of pressure required, and I believe its actually louder than the cherry blues. So it's a unique switch, and they tried to make it like a buckling spring switch. I heard the videos of the keyboard, and ruled it out because I prefer a lighter more quieter switch. But, I would consider the new Matias an option if you think you would like the switch. Also, there is software that you can use to change the mac keys to pc keys.

The keyboard itself is a nice looking keyboard. I would take a look at the older version, but the newer one looks like the one to get. The new one is 150 on Amazon, and I believe they have a couple left in stock so you have to order soon. Usually a good idea to order from Amazon over anyone else.
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 16:57:38 »
Quote from: Epic0range;370733
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matias/FK302/

Does anyone have experience with this keyboard? It looks nice, and I like that it also has a few USB ports, but how is it to type on and quality wise?

Thanks.

That is cheaper than $149.95 + $10 shipping on official site http://matias.ca/order/.

I'm waiting for Limited Edition Silver & Black coming out in August. 30-day money back guarantee is nice to have in case I want to return it.

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 17:03:56 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline Trueepower

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 17:14:37 »
That's nice looking too. I would prefer that one over the white one, which would show wear down the road more. Both look nice though.
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 19:13:21 »
I actually just picked up a tactile pro for $70 on ebay. The only indication that it wasn't new was a small scratch over the F14 key. Not even any keyboard chow, either, which was surprising.

I actually really liked the way it felt. The sliders and springs are swappable with an AEKII, if you like the dampened sliders, but personally I prefer the feel of the switches it came with. As someone said, they claim to be fukkas, but I actually think I prefer them to the dampened complicated in the AEKII or the blacks in the Dell AT101. Just a smoother, better feel to them, even compared to cleaned dell switches.

Also, to my fingers (and a couple other people's), they are actually lighter than what are in the AEKII. But I believe they are actually heavier. I didn't test it.

The sound is really great, too. Very vintage typewriter-y.

I ended up gifting it to a friend who just bought a new iMac and hated the bluetooth keyboard it came with.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 21:09:00 »
noppoo and ducky g2 are best for mac

its so good, your mac will be blank with shock
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 22:18:25 »
Quote from: noodles256;370954
noppoo and ducky g2 are best for mac

its so good, your mac will be blank with shock

Ducky? 'poo? I say boo  :painkiller:

j/k, I got your RF86U hooked up to my Mac and they're getting along great  :kiss:
Keyboardless