Author Topic: What mouse should I go to next?  (Read 8417 times)

Offline xargos

What mouse should I go to next?
« on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 19:33:22 »
Since I'm getting back into better keyboards, I figure it might also be time to look into a better mouse.  I definitely prefer corded designs over cordless, and I always use a palm grip.  

To give an idea of the type of mice that I like, here are some of my favorites that I've used so far.

Logitech TrackMan Wheel (ball mouse, not the optical one)
Logitech MX310
Logitech VX Revolution (other than the fact that it is wireless and has some range issues)
Logitech MX620 (again with the wireless, plus it feels too light)

Also, with a list like this is there any surprise that I like the Logitech TrackMan Wheel for a trackball?

Does anyone have suggestions for what might be a good choice?  I like the look of mice like the Gigabyte GM-M6800 and the Logitech M500, but with so many different mice available and the fact that so few of them have places I can try them I'm not sure where to start.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 19:52:46 »
If you like vx, go with M705.

Almost the same shape, 3 years battery life, unifying receiver, better sensor, better wireless, and most important wheel switch on the top.

It can be used with one or two batteries, and it's also not expensive. (40$ or less)

One of the best mice ever.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline xargos

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 23:01:05 »
Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not so sure the M705 is quite what I want.  Ideally I'd actually like something a little larger than the VX Revolution, but I chose it at the time because I didn't like the feel of the thumb rest on the MX Revolution. I also have the admittedly somewhat irrational desire to have a cord again, too.

The reason that I bought the VX Revolution was that I was trying to get back to the feel of the MouseMan Wheel (M-CW47) that I had around 1999.  Other than size it came close, but problems with moving beyond a short range causing some clicks to stop registering eventually made me look further.  The MX620 was the natural choice because of how similar to my original goal it seemed, but it just doesn't have a solid feel.

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 16:27:41 »
i've always had good lucky with logitech mice

Offline avinin1

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 03:49:48 »
Quote from: Farty Grumblepants;377007
i've always had good lucky with logitech mice

Not really..it just logitech know to make good build quality with reliable sensor - no reason to be lucky with good mice.
but it has cons also - prediction/mouse correction/drift control/angle snapping - force on without option to disable and Logitech mice tend to be heavy.

Offline RamaBot

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 17:23:17 »
Xai

The Xai is THE best mouse I have ever had.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 17:38:38 »

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 21:38:36 »
^^ looks dangerous
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 00:21:21 »
The good old Logitech MX 518 is what I like and has a good size to it also. (but I have a big hand)
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline Tohveli

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 01:05:55 »
You could also try thr g500. Too much prediction for me but some people like it. Also there's the new g400 coming out.
Current stuff: Logitech G11(Rubber domes FTW!!!!...not), Logitech G500(Prediction/form FTW!!!...not), Puretrak talent
In the mail: Zowie Mico and Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless
Do want: Vortex Race

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 09:03:47 »
Performance depends on the sensor. Ergonomics and looks are all up to you but I would say the sensor is the most important. The Avago ADNS-9500 is a mouse with both negative and positive acceleration on cloth pads and I believe only positive acceleration on hard pads. The ADNS-3090 is expected to be great. It's only in the CM Storm Spawn and Puretrak Valor at the moment. The CM Storm Spawn is available but the Valor is for preorder.

For current mice, I'd say the CM Storm Spawn, Mionix Naos 5000, Puretrak Valor, Roccat Kone +, Steelseries Xai, and mice with an Avago sensor I forgot. It's an optical LED sensor from Avago which the 3090 is supposed to match or surpass in performance.
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 10:35:14 »
I don't see m570 on your list. If you like the logitech trackman wheel, give the m570 a shot.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 12:27:39 »
If you have big hands, you can't go wrong with an IE 3.0. But if loose side buttons bother you, you're probably going to want to skip it. I have huge hands, too, and the 518 is so awesome I'm going to get a G400 as well just because.

Offline curzen

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 13:37:11 »
I would have suggested a Sidewinder X8, but the ****ing scrollwheel just broken after about a month of use.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 19:40:33 »
Language. We need to be civilized geeks. :P
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline hella

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 21:15:29 »
I've had great success with my logitech mice.  My G5 lasted two years and my MX518 has lasted four years, and while their sensors have mouse acceleration I never had a problem with them.

I've recently bought a 1800dpi deathadder with no mouse acceleration and love it as well.  Don't be afraid to venture outside and try different companies.

Offline curzen

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 17:14:57 »
after a day of digging through mice I think I'll give a mionix naos 3200 a try.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline Polaris

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:07:03 »
logitech g400

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 03:01:09 »
ill throw the Ikari Laser into the ring

Offline AUAnonymous

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 03:16:31 »
Just switched from a Logitech MX Revolution to a Logitech G9x, and I must say that apart from missing a couple of the extra buttons at first, I'm really liking it and would suggest it to anyone who wants a good, customizable, all purpose mouse.
Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Blacks) - First mechanical keyboard :D
Why don\'t you give Colemak a try? You\'ll like it, I promise.*

*Not a real promise

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 03:18:03 »
Quote from: AUAnonymous;387986
Just switched from a Logitech MX Revolution to a Logitech G9x, and I must say that apart from missing a couple of the extra buttons at first, I'm really liking it and would suggest it to anyone who wants a good, customizable, all purpose mouse.
did they relocate the hyperscroll button from the G9 to the G9x?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 06:37:53 »
Quote from: hella;383012
I've had great success with my logitech mice.  My G5 lasted two years and my MX518 has lasted four years, and while their sensors have mouse acceleration I never had a problem with them.

I've recently bought a 1800dpi deathadder with no mouse acceleration and love it as well.  Don't be afraid to venture outside and try different companies.
My G5 has lasted me 5+ years now, only reason I replaced it not too long ago was simply because I wanted some variety.

In my opinion the most important thing is finding a mouse that fits you, and then worry about sensor. I constantly hear everyone complaining about acceleration, prediction and whatnot. I did an experiment a while ago where I activated all the 'hated' settings I could on my G9x and noticed no difference in my gaming performance. I actually enjoyed playing with them.
I also used a Kinzu for a short period, and the sensor was not a problem to me, only the shape.

Offline 500_pts

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 08:50:27 »
+1 for bth the mionix naos and deathadder
REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline luie

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 16:53:41 »
I like Logitech MX1100 out of all the mouse that I had owned.

I've only around 20 mouses from Microsoft, Logitech and Creative only. Have yet to try Razor.
abs M1...........{ALPS Simplified Type I / Fukkas / Black ALPS}.....[70g +/- 25g]....(Tactile, Non-clicky)
KBC Poker.......{Cherry MX Brown}.............................................[45g +/- 20g]....(Soft Tactile, Non-clicky)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 18:15:42 »
Quote from: 500_pts;388058
+1 for bth the mionix naos and deathadder
the mionix's body to me seems like a a near dead on copy of the SteelSeries Ikari Laser

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 08:43:02 »
Ikari Laser is a good one.

Offline Spinsle McGee

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 20:52:03 »
If you have no need for high dpi, go with an IE 3 or a WMO. The only thing that you need to do is to change the polling rate to 1000hz on these so you do not get any negative accel. If you do want high dpi and some other fancy features, go with either the Razer Deathadder or the SteelSeries Xai.
Keyboards: Leopold Tenkeyless, Steelseries 6Gv2, Wants an IBM Model M
Mice: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Razer Deathadder