Author Topic: Revenge of the ALPS  (Read 2586 times)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Revenge of the ALPS
« on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 22:06:38 »
I had almost given up on ALPS switches. Apple M0116 (pink?) and Apple M3501 (white) didn't do it for me. Maybe they were old and all used up. But even NIB Dell AT101W couldn't make me appreciate the ALPS either. Until I got a Filco Zero last week. It was nice to type on Filco Zero with fukka. The keys aren't too hard to press (feel like~55-60). It's got tactile & clicky. Today I got an ALPS numpad in the mail. This thing feels even nicer than my Zero. It has tactile & clicky like the Zero but the key weight feels almost like Cherry brown (~45-50). Anybody knows what kind of ALPS switch this is?

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 22:14:15 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline Astounding

Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 22:33:44 »

Offline Wibox

Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 22:40:48 »
I read somewhere that some older whites are built the same as blues. You could check the plates in the switch and see if that adds up.
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 22:47:16 »
You know what? it does feel like blues. Except blues have crispier clicks. Is it fukka? complicated? or what? The keypad was probably made around 1993-1994. Where is a keyboard expert when you need one  : )

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 23:04:18 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline theferenc

Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 23:09:00 »
Based on the age, I would guess Fukkas, but possibly complicated whites. You'd have to open it up to check for sure. Even some of the Fukkas have the Alps logo on them, after all.

That Zero is the only Filco I've any interest in. If the switches are even half as nice as what I found in the Matias, it would be a nice addition to my collection.

Edit: Oh, bugger, I totally didn't pay enough attention to the first picture. If it's made by Alps/Alpine Electronics, it's almost definitely complicated whites.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Keyboardless

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 23:18:30 »
Quote from: theferenc;374290
That Zero is the only Filco I've any interest in. If the switches are even half as nice as what I found in the Matias, it would be a nice addition to my collection.

I think Matias is nicer (easier to type) but I haven't tried one yet. That's my next keyboard - Matias LE-S&B. I think it will feel very close to this ALPS keypad.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 23:41:54 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline theferenc

Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 00:15:38 »
mmmty, were you the one looking for the adapter for this bad boy? Did you ever get it working?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 04:44:12 »
Wibox meant blue alps, not blue cherries. So he was also talking about gray switchplate vs white switchplate.

I'd be guessing that it is complicated whites as well. Especially since that box looks exactly like one that ripster got, though it was a full size board.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 04:49:07 »
Quote from: theferenc;374290
Based on the age, I would guess Fukkas, but possibly complicated whites. You'd have to open it up to check for sure.

Complicated Alps were made well into the late 90s.

Even some of the Fukkas have the Alps logo on them, after all.

Well, Alps made the simplified switch themselves later on. Forward makes the same design, but without the logo on it.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 08:02:37 »
Quote from: theferenc;374320
mmmty, were you the one looking for the adapter for this bad boy? Did you ever get it working?

I was looking for ADB cable but you and False_Dmitry_II said S-Video would work too. It's working fine. Thanks again.

I just think that this ALPS keypad has the best of all ALPS switches I tried. I want to get a keyboard with the same switch. I think Matias would be very close to it.
Keyboardless

Offline Daniel Beaver

Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 08:11:04 »
Complicated ALPS are kick-ass switches. I almost prefer them to cherry blues.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 08:17:52 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;374433
Wibox meant blue alps, not blue cherries. So he was also talking about gray switchplate vs white switchplate.

I'd be guessing that it is complicated whites as well. Especially since that box looks exactly like one that ripster got, though it was a full size board.

There's a picture of ALPS LPT-101 keyboard on the keypad manual. I think that's the one ripster got. I would love to get that keyboard even with LPT connection.
Keyboardless

Offline The Solutor

Revenge of the ALPS
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 08:35:04 »
Nice.

Too bad the available ones on ebay are plagued by idiotic shipment costs to Europe.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)