Author Topic: Buying First Buckling Spring Keyboard  (Read 18832 times)

Offline The Solutor

Buying First Buckling Spring Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 07:35:39 »
If you want something better built than a Model M, you want a Model F, not an M2 which is built to a much lesser standard than either.

We here are replying to an user who asked for a first board, and I said that an M2 is good enough to test the feel of BS.

You are shifting the argument to a Model M v.s. M2 fight that wasn't my point.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 09:33:11 »
This is an important factor.  In my case, I am using a direct connection from my model M by use of it's ps2 connector.  However, I also know that when the day comes when I have to upgrade the motherboard on my home built PC, I will definitely not have a ps2 to plug in my model M directly and will HAVE to use an adapter.  As many here have stated, there are both good and bad points (not that many bad) to going in either direction.   You really can't go wrong whichever way you go.  Both are great keyboards.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 09:30:41 »
Quote from: hella;377903
Awesome buddy, that's some great insight and that clarified a few questions I had.  I was under the impression that newer Model M's were incorrectly labeled as inferior to white labels.  However if the internals are different there may be foundation to the belief that older, is, indeed better.

My first model M was a 1987 801.  In a very short time, I went from having just one, to collecting several from different "badges".  I definitely prefer the 87 bolt modded white label I bought for $35.00 over all of the others.  My first M did have a lot of broken rivets. A trip to the hardware store and about 90 minutes of work (for a one armed guy in a wheelchair, that's pretty good) I did my own bolt mod.  The point here is that out of all of the model M boards I had collected, the 87 is my favorite.  Early designs from 1986 seem to be a lot more "Pingy" while later blue labels seem to have a quality difference.  I don't know that the differences are enough that they will affect the board in the long term, but the feel is just a bit "off".  I can't explain how I can tell the difference.  All white label 801's just seem to be my personal favorites.  

Just my two cent's worth.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 11:25:33 »
The backplate in the older Ms is made of a different material to that in the later ones (I think its the same as the material used on the Model F backplates judging by the colour, but I can't be certain). I think this accounts for the fact that the old ones are noticeably ping-ier than newer ones, even with the majority of the rivets intact.

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 12:53:12 »
I'd like to try a white-labeled M. I'd also like to do the bolt-mod but most of my keyboard's rivets are still intact which sort of refrains me from doing the mod.