Author Topic: Rant... Solaris JumpStart sucks  (Read 2939 times)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Rant... Solaris JumpStart sucks
« on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 21:43:57 »
It sucks.  Enormously.

And that's when it works.

Aaaahaghrjharjhrajaahjrhrhrhgfhghghghg
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline audioave10

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 23:45:48 »
This may be of no help but I found this...

http://www.pimpworks.org/sun/jumpstart-howto.html

Is it simply unreliable?
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 09:00:14 »
Well, that's as old as Solaris 8, there were changes made through the years up to the current Solaris 10.  And Solaris 11 doesn't use JumpStart at all if that says anything...

The problem I'm facing is that there is no reason for the setup I am using NOT to work.  I've just hit a bug that I've been unable to find a workaround for.  The client is not mounting the NFS filesystem for the jumpstart config for no known reason and failing to find itself in the rules.ok file as a result.  Once the install comes to a screeching halt I can manually mount that filesystem using the same commands that are found in the script.  There are notes findable via google that say you should make the netmask of the client and server the same.  This is impossible for me since I'm on a massive multi-segment production network using production hardware that cannot be moved/re-ip'd.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 13:53:17 »
My relatively limited experience of Solaris suggests that the operating system itself also sucks, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has used it more than I have.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 14:18:15 »
If by OS you really mean OS then I'd argue that you're wrong.  Solaris provides pretty amazing support for executing and analyzing the execution of programs.

If you mean Operating Environment such as MS Windows, Mac OS-X, or any Linux desktop distribution then I would have to agree.  Solaris as an operating environment sucks.  That's why I use Linux on my desktop even when I'm a Solaris sysadmin.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 13:46:47 »
Quote from: alaricljs;376342
If by OS you really mean OS then I'd argue that you're wrong.  Solaris provides pretty amazing support for executing and analyzing the execution of programs.

If you mean Operating Environment such as MS Windows, Mac OS-X, or any Linux desktop distribution then I would have to agree.  Solaris as an operating environment sucks.  That's why I use Linux on my desktop even when I'm a Solaris sysadmin.

The telecoms people who hang out on the Erlang mailing list (ultra high reliability language for soft realtime) swear by Solaris for just those reasons. It's a shame that it came too late to the open source party to attract the developers needed to make it as user friendly as, say, Ubuntu.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:50:54 »
I still prefer Solaris to most linux distributions, for the exact reason that it provides such a solid base. Linux, the kernel itself, is a hacked together POS that just needs to be put down. Take the networking code, for instance. It's a giant mess of spaghetti code, with almost 0 documentation, and hacks galore. Compare this to something like the BSD networking stack (you, the standard reference implementation?), which is clean, concise, and very easy to read and modify. It also has just as much functionality.

The Solaris kernel is somewhere in between, in terms of readability. But in terms of functionality, Solaris smacks everyone else around. dtrace, zfs, logical domains, and one of the better implementations of trusted extensions currently out there. It's a serious pain in terms of usability though, especially for desktop use. Why can't Sun just use regular names for things?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:51:33 »
Also, yay for cat avatars!
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:52:18 »
Quote from: theferenc;378503
Also, yay for cat avatars!
My dog will chase your cats...

Offline theferenc

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:54:23 »
Oh, and to the original point, Jumpstart is a giant PITA. There really should be a better way to automate things.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:57:34 »
Well, Solaris 11 claims to have the 'better way'... I'll believe that after a few weeks slinging mud in the trenches (which started last week... )
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:57:38 »
Quote from: theferenc;378508
Oh, and to the original point, Jumpstart is a giant PITA. There really should be a better way to automate things.
Every method of automated builds has it's challenges.  Seem to have more with jumpstart since Oracle bought Sun though.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 21:01:33 »
I didn't want to be the one to point that finger. Solaris unfortunately competes with Oracle's implementation of Redhat. So why should any resources be wasted on it, right? Even though the ability at to give them a dedicated platform with which they could implement deep performance optimizations for the database product was a stated factor in the Sun buyout.

It does seem though that with version 11, they are wanting to support it more. Maybe the problem was with 10 being released prior to the merger?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 21:04:34 »
Solaris is definitely not disappearing.  Quite similar to how MySQL doesn't really complete with Oracle DB, OL isn't exactly a competitor for Solaris.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline theferenc

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 21:09:05 »
That's definitely good to hear. I actually like Solaris, warts and all.