Author Topic: Your thoughts about bottoming out on MX Blues  (Read 4586 times)

Offline dux

Your thoughts about bottoming out on MX Blues
« on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 07:43:33 »
I'm new into mechanical keyboards, just bought a ML-87 with the Blues few days ago.

I really do like the feel and the sound of the Blues for typing. However, I don't like bottoming out when it occurs. That's why I'm now considering to make Panda Blues (MX Blues with the springs from the blacks) out of it. Maybe just the Enter, Backspace and the Modifiers, I bottom them always out. And, yes, the the Spacebar of the PLU has a blue, not a green MX:(

No, I don't want the model M, too loud, the minis are too expensive (and I NEED tenkeyless), also because then I would need an another set of keys (for german layout). Oh, well, one day maybe. OK, let me be honest, in fact I want a brand new tenkeyless model M13 with doubleshots right now:) With any bigass-Enter but long LeftShift and without those totally silly Windows-Keys. Let somebody manage a group buy for them from Unicomp if you can:) Ok, I'm done with that.

No, I don't want the o-ring mod, 'cause I just hate the feeling of rubber under my fingers after getting that PLU.

So, what do the more experienced of you think about the bottoming out on MX Blues? How many of are still bottoming after, let's say, 2 months of continous use? Is anybody bottoming out forever? Does anybody comes from model M to MX Blues and made the transformation to not-bottoming? How long did it take?

Should I just shut up and get a model M?

Offline calavera

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 08:44:22 »
I personally don't think bottoming out is wrong to begin with. Some people make it seem like it's a deadly sin to bottom out.
The whole point of not bottoming out is to type faster, right? Well, who the F cares? I don't mind typing a little slower, it's not the end of the world.

So yeah, I always seem to bottom out regardless of switch type. Black, white, blue, red, I don't discriminate. I would love to try out a model M SSK myself but the price is a little too much.

Offline Tony

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 08:48:26 »
The trouble with bottoming out is that your fingers take the whole reaction forces from the keyboard, which will make you tired after typing for a long time.

Cherry MX switches are activated halfway, so you can type faster and it's softer on your hands by not bottoming out
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Tony

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 08:49:02 »
The trouble with bottoming out is that your fingers take the whole reaction forces from the keyboard, which will make you tired after typing for a long time.

Cherry MX switches are activated halfway, so you can type faster and it's softer on your hands by not bottoming out
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline calavera

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 08:52:04 »
I don't think I've typed rigorously for more than 5 hours max and I've never tired so I guess it really depends on what you use it for. Programmers..etc. would benefit from touch typing, sure.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 09:15:48 »
Quote from: Tony;376104

I think it's preference, honestly. I've been bottoming out for 17 years now, and I've been using a keyboard for earning a living for roughly 14 of them. Never once got tired from typing.

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 09:19:52 »
I actually prefer the sound of bottoming out over the click of the Blues. I still bottom out on my Blues because I use Blacks at work. I really don't see the gripe about bottoming out at all. If it happens, it happens

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 09:29:03 »
Quote from: daerid;376123
I think it's preference, honestly. I've been bottoming out for 17 years now, and I've been using a keyboard for earning a living for roughly 14 of them. Never once got tired from typing.

^^^ that, but 10 years.  I'm a programmer that types 10-15hrs a day on blues. I *can* concentrate and not bottom out (much), but instead I do whatever feels natural.  (except conf calls, then I touch lightly... the one big drawback to blues is they still hear it.)  

But sometimes, pounding that key like a dirty street hooker just feels right.  And unlike the hooker, you shouldn't feel shame... Embrace it.

Offline dux

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 10:12:51 »
Quote from: aggiejy;376132

But sometimes, pounding that key like a dirty street hooker just feels right.  And unlike the hooker, you shouldn't feel shame... Embrace it.

Sure, that's why I like big EnterKeys:) Slamming the Enter with gross motor power is deeply satisfactory sometimes.

Well for me it is not about feeling ashamed and it is not about getting tired or faster. It's rather kind of l'art pour l'art typing sound&feel aesthetics. I just want a feedback that would feel right and would make me forget about the keyboard. Who knows maybe even reds would give me that, in a sense of puristic bottoming sound:)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 12:58:20 »
I was typing on Model Ms for years, so you can probably imagine that I was bottoming out blues all the time. However, blues are not the kind of switches that would make a fuss and give you RSI - it still felt like flying over the keys. You just need to get used to them and over time you'll bottom out less heavily. (I still do when typing quickly, but then again motoric control isn't exactly my great strength anyway.) If you want to crash hard into the metal plate, black ALPS are the way to go. (Ouch.)

The bottom line? Get used to blues for a few weeks. Come back if you still aren't happy. Patience is still considered a virtue.

Which doesn't mean that a Model M wouldn't be a worthwile addition to any keyboard collection. Shame I can't handle mine for any extended length of time any more.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2011, 13:03:30 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline theferenc

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 13:14:35 »
Not sure what's behind this recent trend of "bottoming out" threads, but it seems kinda weird to me.

Just spend some time with the keyboard. Don't worry about bottoming out. Your hands will adjust to where they are most comfortable for typing, in terms of how hard you press the keys. I rarely bottom out buckling springs ever, even though I did at first, as I was coming from rubber dome keyboards. Whereas I always bottom out topres. Just the nature of the switches.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 13:22:34 »
I always bottom out on blues. Oddly enough, I bottom out about 50% of the time on reds, and about 75% on browns. Maybe 30% on blacks. Almost never bottom out on my BS Customizer.

Offline dux

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 14:39:23 »
Quote from: daerid;376293
I always bottom out on blues. Oddly enough, I bottom out about 50% of the time on reds, and about 75% on browns. Maybe 30% on blacks. Almost never bottom out on my BS Customizer.

Now this was very helpfull, thanx

Offline dux

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 14:51:53 »
Quote from: daerid;376293

I think it is the added force for the click mechanism in combination with the light spring that explains the bottoming on the blues and the browns.

Offline Astounding

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 16:54:23 »
Quote from: calavera;376102
I personally don't think bottoming out is wrong to begin with. Some people make it seem like it's a deadly sin to bottom out.
The whole point of not bottoming out is to type faster, right? Well, who the F cares? I don't mind typing a little slower, it's not the end of the world.

So yeah, I always seem to bottom out regardless of switch type. Black, white, blue, red, I don't discriminate. I would love to try out a model M SSK myself but the price is a little too much.

This.  Bottoming out is totally fine, anyone who says otherwise is being elitist.  It's a preference.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 16:55:11 »
Astounding, I love your avatar, by the way. It just sums things up so clearly.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline N8N

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 17:17:51 »
Quote from: Astounding;376433
This.  Bottoming out is totally fine, anyone who says otherwise is being elitist.  It's a preference.

Maybe, maybe not.  I am currently trying to pick a keyboard that will allow me to not bottom out, or at least do so lightly rather than have to slam the key all the way down like you do with rubber domes.  My best theory is that that is what is causing me to have some hand fatigue after a full day of paperwork in the office.  I used to use a Model M with no problems other than pissing off my coworkers.  Was using a Cherry G81 (it was there) for a while and my hands hurt.  Took in a Compaq MX11800 (browns) on Wednesday and my hands haven't hurt since, but it feels too light to me and I am bottoming it out (loudly) when I get on a roll.  Currently typing this on a Cherry POS board with clears and this feels right.

My perspective is that this is what feels right to me; it may not matter to you.  So be it!  But if I can spend a little money and find a tool that I'm going to be using all day several days a week, and it feels right and doesn't hurt my hands, it's worth it.  Likewise I use a real drafting pencil to mark up drawings, not a cheap clear plastic clicky mechanical pencil.  Sure the latter works fine and the former, even a cheap Pentel one, costs about $5 apiece, but it's the tool that I prefer to use for my job and itf it helps me do it more quickly and without having to compensate for the tool that I'm using (as in, it just feels like an extension of my hands) it's well worth it to me.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 17:20:25 »
Quote from: N8N;376457
My perspective is that this is what feels right to me; it may not matter to you.  So be it!  But if I can spend a little money and find a tool that I'm going to be using all day several days a week, and it feels right and doesn't hurt my hands, it's worth it.  Likewise I use a real drafting pencil to mark up drawings, not a cheap clear plastic clicky mechanical pencil.  Sure the latter works fine and the former, even a cheap Pentel one, costs about $5 apiece, but it's the tool that I prefer to use for my job and itf it helps me do it more quickly and without having to compensate for the tool that I'm using (as in, it just feels like an extension of my hands) it's well worth it to me.

I just wanted this to be in another post, just in case it was missed the first time. This perspective is one that is sorely lacking around here sometimes, and it's great to see it when it does show up. The best tool for the job is the tool that works best for you. That might differ from person to person, and so be it.

Offline Monkey12345

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 17:43:56 »
Noob question, how do you bottom out?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 21:56:58 »
Quote from: calavera;376102

The ppl who feel this way are the ones with RSI issues imo. Sure those ppl (i used to be) get hurt more by bottoming out, it's the same theory as to why a runner can only run so much in his/her life before they need knee replacement surgery, the "shock" of slamming down on the ground is a lot of force, and sooner or later your body just can't handle it no more. Same with fingers and bottoming out, of course there are those runners that are in their 80's and still going strong, just a factor of how much milk you drink i guess.

Offline dux

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 06:39:37 »
10 days later:

I still bottom out on my MX blues mostly but I don't really care. The bottoming became very light mostly, quieter that the clicks of the blues. In fact, I tried to type on the blacks and I do fail to activate the switch sometimes because of the added force. Therefore I don't even plan to make cherry bruises (blue switch, black spring) any more.

And yes, my Thinkpad keyboard feels like **** now. No, like typing on freshly spit out chewing gums.

I decided that if I'll ever want something harder, I'l rather go for the buckling springs.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 07:23:37 »
I always bottom out...
Feels much more satisfying somehow! :3

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 08:20:55 »
Just use a Topre, and hulk-smash that cup rubber!

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Alex

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 08:27:57 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;383272
I always bottom out...
Feels much more satisfying somehow! :3
True, the women like it aswell.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 08:31:24 »
I find it easy to not bottom out on mx blacks.
If you want want to type without bottoming out, I highly recommend trying out cherry blacks.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 08:32:00 »
If you want to trade, blue springs for back (and grey) ones u can send me a pm.

mobile

Offline Bry

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 08:58:26 »
I bottom out on browns most of the time. I find that if I really try not to, I become less accurate because sometimes I press the key but not with enough force to make it through the tactile bump since is quite subtle and the springs are very soft once you are through it. I just prefer to bottom out unless I need to be quiet for some reason. I kind of enjoy the clack clack clack anyways.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 09:22:05 »
Quote from: Alex;383291
True, the women like it aswell.
Difference is that here blacks bottom out easier...

Edit: Actually this would make a good joke I can use for my sig!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2011, 09:36:49 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline RiGS

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 10:21:02 »
:pound:
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011