Author Topic: Quality between these Keyboards.  (Read 2601 times)

Offline kwantz

Quality between these Keyboards.
« on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:03:01 »
I have it narrowed down to these 4 keyboards. can people who have tried these keyboard or at least some of them, can you please chime in and tell me about the quality of each and which you would reccomend and why. i know the filco fan boys will most likely choose the filco, but could the filco people who have tried the other keyboards on my list compair the differences.  I am looking for keyboard with a small footprint but must have dedicated F keys. I really like the Poker, but it doesnt have the F keys so I had to give it the boot.

PLu-87 mini
Choc Mini
Leopold tenkeyless
Filco tenkeyless

Offline Lester

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:20:53 »
Why no ducky? :)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:32:32 »
Those are all quality keyboards, though I haven't used any except the Filco with browns, and that not much. I would say the Ducky is going to be about the same quality as the PLU and the Noppoo. The leopold is a bit nicer, about the same as the filco. Each of the last two is better in different aspects, from those that I've seen.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong, so I would get whichever you can get delivered for the least amount of money.

If time is a factor, both the leopold and the filco could be a problem, as they are currently unavailable nearly everywhere I'm aware of.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Lester

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:36:06 »
Ducky > noppoo/plu!!

plu has 2-kro btw, while ducky has n-kro!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:50:04 »
I have all of them and here's my opinion on each:

PLu-87 mini - a nice, solid board if you don't mind the 2 nkro and also some may not like the POM key caps but I have no problem with them
Choc Mini - also a nice, compact board but it took me a good while to get used to the layout
Leopold tenkeyless - aside from their non-standard space bar and occasional squeaky sound coming from the left shift key and sometimes the enter key, it's a good board and the only one here with detachable cable
Filco tenkeyless - none except for the ping of death and that's debatable (I own 8 Filcos and only one of them ping and it's only on 1 key and you could barely hear it lol)

And like Lester said, you should definitely include Ducky in you line up.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 16:54:43 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline kwantz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 14:50:31 »
where does one buy a tenkeyless ducky? any NA retailers? or must it be searched for on EBAY>

Offline kwantz

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 15:07:21 »
Im really LOVEING this all White ducky, I have google Chrome it translates the pages for you automatically, but in the picture it looks like cherry browns what I am looking for.  I thinkt hey call Cherry MX Browns (Teas) over in asia... what are the names for red, black and blues taht they use?  can anyone tell me if this is for sure cherry browns??  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8047415157

is this a good place to order from? How long is shipping on average to NA?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 15:08:47 »
PChome. I don't think there is any NA retailer. Tea is brown. Blue will come up as green in translate. I think red and black will show ups as red and black. Pchome is probably cheaper and less hassle than TaoBao but they don't seem to have white. EMS shipping should be no more than 6 working days and shouldn;t be more than $20, SAL is sea, and will take forever.

The board in your link is the brown / blue mixed switch. It has browns on the main typing area, and blues on the nav side.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 15:16:47 by lysol »

Offline Tempy

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 16:13:10 »
What do you want the keyboard for?

if its an rts game, i have played starcraft 2 just fine on the plu, but if its an fps i would go with the filco (cant say anything about the noppoo as i have a choc pro coming in the mail next week (thanks qtan));

if its just typing, i would say go with the plu, really awesome bang for your buck.

on a side note, if you feel like care about shiny keys, DO NOT go with the leo, almost impossible to really find a replacement spacebar...
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 16:16:13 by Tempy »
Proud owner of a Filco TKL with Blues, Noppoo Choc Pro with Blues, Leopold 104 with Browns and a CoolerMaster QF with reds

Sc2 stats

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 16:30:36 »
the ducky 1087 housing is so ugly and less quality, don't buy a ducky tkl

noppoo choc mini is much better in qly than my ducky was.

Offline wompwomp

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 16:44:43 »
I'm always seeing/hearing mixed reviews on ducky's.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 17:07:34 »
That's partially because many people bought them when they were first available, and there were QA issues. A lot of those have since been worked out, though, so people that have purchased them more recently often have more positive views than the initial buyers.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Astounding

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 17:19:25 »
Quote from: CeeSA;377665
the ducky 1087 housing is so ugly and less quality, don't buy a ducky tkl

noppoo choc mini is much better in qly than my ducky was.

Wacky layout, good to consider options though.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 19:17:06 »
Quote from: Astounding;377684
Wacky layout, good to consider options though.

Whats wrong with the layout? I love it

Offline kwantz

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 19:28:47 »
I guess you could consider me a hard core Starcraft 2 player,,, its the only game I play, i dont play FPS, thats why the F keys are soo important that I have, I really like the layout of the poker just wish they had the F keys.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 19:32:29 »
I don't play starcraft, but couldn't you remap the fkeys to some other keys on the keyboard? You could always get that razer mouse that has 15 buttons or whatever. Then map those buttons to your fkeys.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 19:36:41 »
Ducky has also the advantage of the switches rotated like an Xarmor and not like a Filco: better tactility and easier backlight moddability
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)