Author Topic: I am such a nooB  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 17:49:33 »
Hi everyone.

I've been lurking around the forums and wikis the past few weeks, and have attempted to educate myself on mechanical keyboards, I've been using computers and building them as a hobby since I way about 10 (20 years ago).  I have never paid much attention to my keyboard, I'd just use whatever hand me down keyboard I could get ahold of from my dad growing up (sometimes mechanical and sometimes not) when I was younger and now, whenever I build a new rig I skimp big time on the keyboard.  Seriously, I am using a 7+ year old dell wireless keyboard on my most recent computer build last year that I spent over $2500 in components!  

When I originally started my search I was looking for the typical retail Logitech type stuff.  After reading through a lot of the wikis and probably 100 different threads on here I am definitely sold on a mechanical keyboard.

For my use I figure it to be about 50/50 gaming/ typing.  

I've been to a local Fry’s where I could check out the Steelseries and Black Widow to see what the black and blue cherry switches are like.  I loved the blue but I was afraid they might be a little too noisy, the blacks were fine but after checking out the blue I definitely want the tactile type switches.  Based on this, I think I'd probably like the brown switch.  

I've looked online mostly here and manufacturer's websites at

Ducky
Filco
Razor
Deck
Das

I have been having trouble making up my mind.  I don't mind paying $200 for a board.  

I can find negatives on each board as well as positives based on what I have seen in these forums.

Today I have ordered a Filco Ninja from Amazon and a Deck Legend Ice (tactile) from Deck.  I will probably only keep one.  I have never been able to try the clears or browns and but from what I read of how they fall between the black and blues I think I will be pleased with them.  

Aesthetically I like the uniqueness of both boards, I don't need LED but I kind of like them on the DECK and I like how the ninja has the key prints on the side of the key.

I thought about Ducky as well, but it seems like many people consider filco and in some cases deck above ducky in quality.  Is that a general consensus?

Also I may have overlooked it but do both use ABS plastic in their keycaps?  I know deck uses 2 piece keys but the plastic used is it ABS or PBT?

Thanks everyone for all your help

Offline Mr. Perfect

I am such a nooB
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 18:31:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack.

How much tactile feedback do you want? If you want a solid bump, you'll probably end up keeping the Deck. Browns are significantly less noticeable then blues.

In general, Filcos are considered to be nicer built then Ducky. The more recent Ducky board may be getting better though. Deck boards sometimes have issues with those two piece caps letting light leak, but that's the only complaint I can remember reading about them.

No idea about keycap materials.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline Astounding

I am such a nooB
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 18:36:06 »
Where is Leopold on your list?

edit: actually read the post instead of just posting a response, you already ordered.  GL with the boards!

Offline Mopar

I am such a nooB
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 18:37:57 »
Hi Wilco.
The Deck keycaps are 2 piece PBT with dyesub printing. Filco is ABS with pad printing.
The keys on the Filco get shiny quickly. I own a Deck Legend Toxic and after some modification i love my Deck.
But i also want a Ninja....:smokin:
This is a bad place....:Cry:
REALFORCE 87UB 45g , Déck Legend Toxic Black\'s , Filco Majestouch Brown\'s , Filco Ninja Tenkeyless Brown\'s , KBC Poker Red\'s , Razer BlackWidow Blue\'s

Offline drsauced

I am such a nooB
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 18:40:24 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Weird, I've got the Ninja and Deck, too.  I don't think you could have picked two better keyboards, IMO.  My Deck is linear, so I can't comment on the MX Clear, but the keycaps are PBT. The Deck is a very nice keyboard if you can accept it aesthetically, and the backlighting is excellent, so I think you'll end up liking it.  My Ninja is tactile and they have ABS keycaps.  I like the Ninja quite a lot, and so it is my personal favourite.

Good luck, and please post pictures when you get them!
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 19:06:51 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;378425
Welcome to Geekhack.

How much tactile feedback do you want? If you want a solid bump, you'll probably end up keeping the Deck. Browns are significantly less noticeable then blues.

In general, Filcos are considered to be nicer built then Ducky. The more recent Ducky board may be getting better though. Deck boards sometimes have issues with those two piece caps letting light leak, but that's the only complaint I can remember reading about them.

No idea about keycap materials.

Kind of hard to say how much tactile feedback I want as I can only compare it to the blues, I don’t need as much as the blues but I want something, not linear like the blacks.  I've read that some people think that the browns are too light and it can lead to accidental keying.

I have seen the issue with the Deck light shining through the keycaps, I think someone, Ripster maybe, suggested just using black silicon underneath the keycaps in the seam.  I don't mind doing this if I decide to keep it and have that problem.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 19:09:07 »
Quote from: Astounding;378426
Where is Leopold on your list?

edit: actually read the post instead of just posting a response, you already ordered.  GL with the boards!

I didn't do much research on them, mainly because the only place I could easily find that I could get them was through EliteKeyboards and then only the tenkeyless and I am looking for something full size.  Comparing it to the Filco do you prefer Leopold?

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 19:11:01 »
Quote from: Mopar;378428
Hi Wilco.
The Deck keycaps are 2 piece PBT with dyesub printing. Filco is ABS with pad printing.
The keys on the Filco get shiny quickly. I own a Deck Legend Toxic and after some modification i love my Deck.
But i also want a Ninja....:smokin:
This is a bad place....:Cry:

Yea... I could see myself keeping both of them possibly... What sort of Mod did you do to your Deck Legend?

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 19:14:39 »
Quote from: drsauced;378429
Welcome to GeekHack!

Weird, I've got the Ninja and Deck, too.  I don't think you could have picked two better keyboards, IMO.  My Deck is linear, so I can't comment on the MX Clear, but the keycaps are PBT. The Deck is a very nice keyboard if you can accept it aesthetically, and the backlighting is excellent, so I think you'll end up liking it.  My Ninja is tactile and they have ABS keycaps.  I like the Ninja quite a lot, and so it is my personal favourite.

Good luck, and please post pictures when you get them!

Will do, if I keep the ninja I'd probably try to get ahold of some PBT caps. I saw a guy post some for sale here

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3219040

I might look into the black on black pbts if they will work..

Does anyone know if anyone sells any pbt caps with the printing on the side like the Filco Ninja?

Offline Mopar

I am such a nooB
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 19:28:32 »
65 keycaps with light bleeding at the seams...
I pull all the caps and paint the seams black.
Zero keycap light bleeding!
REALFORCE 87UB 45g , Déck Legend Toxic Black\'s , Filco Majestouch Brown\'s , Filco Ninja Tenkeyless Brown\'s , KBC Poker Red\'s , Razer BlackWidow Blue\'s

Offline Mopar

I am such a nooB
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 19:34:39 »
Yes, no air gap. The dyesub printing ends on top of the translucent part of the key.
If Deck made the printing more over the edge... The problem would not even exist.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 July 2011, 19:47:42 by Mopar »

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:04:28 »
Ripster thanks for the pic.

Mopar, so if I understand you correctly the only part that needs to be painted it the thin side that is perpendicular to the side that the letter is printer on and NOT the side that the actual letter is printed on?   Did you just use black model paint?

Offline The Solutor

I am such a nooB
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:21:26 »
Quote from: ripster;378481
I think he just painted the top of the key where the letter has been reverse dyesubbed.

True men will paint the whole keycap.

Nothing is exclusive like a backlit otaku keyboard :smokin:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline theferenc

I am such a nooB
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:21:33 »
Actually, I think he painted the seams from the bottom. At least I remember that being where the discussion went.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
I am such a nooB
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 20:36:45 »
If they just reversed the chamfer on those parts it wouldn't be such a problem.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Mopar

I am such a nooB
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:27:04 »
The inside of the key and just the part were the light gets thru. I use a black acrylic water based paint just like model paint.
@The Solutor: Backlight OTAKU :rofl:

Offline The Solutor

I am such a nooB
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:34:05 »
Quote from: Mopar;379117
@The Solutor: Backlight OTAKU :rofl:

I must patent it...

But don't forget the ninja keys with the lettering on the back!!! :becky:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
I am such a nooB
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 20:03:39 »
Doubleshot otaku keys with the lettering INSIDE...

or is that ninja...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 20:35:19 »
Thanks everyone for the info!  

The Ninja came in today and man I didn't realize how horrible that Dell POS I was using is (besides being a membrane board it also was worn out).  I havn't gamed with the Ninja yet, I havn't done a test or anything but my typing speed seems to increased significantly.  I mean I type and I am surprised at the speed words appear on the screen!  

I like the browns alot I wouldnt mind maybe alittle more tactile feedback and slightly stiffer switch so I have a feeling I will like the Cherry Clears on the Deck Legend better but I have a feeling I may end up hanging on to both of them...

The Deck is suppose to arrive Thursday!

Offline Wilco

I am such a nooB
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 19:16:28 »
The Deck came in today!  A day early typing on it now.  I got about 16 keys with some leak but if I didn't know to look for it I would probably only notice it on one or two, no problem painting them for me should I decide to keep it.  I was also surprised that the casing of the Deck Legend is more of a Grey instead of black, not a big deal just wasn't expecting that.  I like the feel of the cherry clears as well.  Between the Ninja and the Legend I like them both for different reasons.  I'll but both of these through their paces over the weekend.

It is easier to not bottom out the keys on the Deck's clears vs the Ninja browns.

Are there any free utilities out there that anyone recommends for keyboard usage evaluation?