Author Topic: Cheap PCI-E sound cards  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Snoogle

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 20:36:31 »
Hey does anyone know of any low cost pci-e sound cards? I need an extra line input on my mac pro but I'm not looking for anything expensive. Most offers from I seem to find are a little to high =/

Offline NamelessPFG

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 20:55:39 »
Define "expensive".

Buying used always saves a bit of money, but the main complication here is that you're using a Mac Pro, which likely means Mac OS X, and I'm not so certain which cards have OS X drivers and which ones don't. Consumer cards like the Xonar and X-Fi lines don't appear to have OS X drivers at all; perhaps we'd have better luck looking into professional-grade gear, but that means EXPENSIVE.

Offline Rafen

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 21:50:22 »
You could always try to find something on the mac site, but that's probably gonna cost you a lot of dough. If not, maybe you could contact customer support and they could tell you what cards are supported.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 21:53:29 by Rafen »

Offline nraymond

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 14:51:03 »
I can't think of a reason why you'd want to go PCI over USB... have you considered something like the Lexicon Alpha or Alesis MultiMix 4?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 16:20:28 »
It's usb, but cheap - Behringer U-Control. Has rca in and out. I got a similar Uphono and it works good enough. It's not pro grade (24bit/96khz max), but I wasn't expecting it. Costs about $20.

Offline nraymond

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 16:26:19 »
Quote from: ripster;408251
PCI for multichannel.  *****es love 7.1.

Sig>Gadget Reviews>Audio>Claro HT Omega

But not cheap.

The Claro HT Omega is a good card and all (I owned one a few years back), but the OP said: "I need an extra line input on my mac pro but I'm not looking for anything expensive"

I took that to mean he's looking for stereo input, and inferred since the Mac already had that, that he was looking for additional inputs to do some multitrack or mixing, which is why I was recommending USB interfaces that had analog inputs.

HT Omega Claro is 7.1 but for output, not input, so unless he needs 7.1 output, the extra outputs aren't going to help.  The Claro doesn't have Mac drivers that I'm aware of, it's pretty pricey, and it's PCI, not PCI-Express (the newer HT Omega eClaro is PCI-Express, but still no Mac support that I know of).

I still think the OP should look at USB sound interfaces.  There are a large number to choose from, and most have Mac compatibility.

Offline AlleyViper

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 20:37:12 »
If you want to try the very cheap way, on ebay there are a lot of usb adapters with one line out/in. Like this, they brag Mac OSX support.

Edit: Oh crap, line in is mono. Should only work if this is intended for an accordingly cheap headset.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 August 2011, 20:41:41 by AlleyViper »

Offline Mayor Winters

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 03:39:11 »
Asus Xonar DG 5.1, round 30 euro.
The more keyboards we have, the more keyboards we want.

Offline NamelessPFG

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 09:16:27 »
The Xonar DG is PCI, not PCI-Express.

Even then, I don't know if it even has OS X driver support.

Offline EverythingIBM

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 13:59:12 »
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Go-Pro/M/B0044DEDC0.htm

Users reported it worked with OSX.

Cheap ($40).

Creative makes good stuff, beats everything else by a mile.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline nraymond

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 01:16:49 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;409517
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Go-Pro/M/B0044DEDC0.htm

Users reported it worked with OSX.

Cheap ($40).

Creative makes good stuff, beats everything else by a mile.

While the Lexicon Alpha I linked to has an MSRP of $120, it's selling for $60 right now, and it has 2-in/2-out, with 1 Microphone Preamplifier, 1 Hi-Z Instrument Input, Cubase LE Software, and Lexicon Pantheon Reverb and is 24-bit/48kHz.  If the OP is doing any semi-serious audio work, he'll be much better served by the Lexicon Alpha over that Creative product.  Creative makes good products for PC gaming, but I wouldn't turn to them for audio gear for doing anything else.

Offline drsauced

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 16:04:02 »
Creative bought emu quite awhile ago for the professional sector, but for the Mac and not too expensive, I recommend an M-Audio product:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Audiophile2496/

It's still only PCI, but for this level of audio, there's really no reason to go with PCIe.
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline nraymond

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 17:45:46 »
Quote from: drsauced;412186
It's still only PCI, but for this level of audio, there's really no reason to go with PCIe.

The last Mac to have PCI was the early 2005 PowerMac G5.  The late 2005 G5 and all Mac Pros are PCI-Express (PCIe) only.  Not sure what the OP has, but if it's recent, chances are he needs a PCIe card or something that connects via USB/Firewire.

Offline EverythingIBM

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 20:23:14 »
Quote from: nraymond;411213
While the Lexicon Alpha I linked to has an MSRP of $120, it's selling for $60 right now, and it has 2-in/2-out, with 1 Microphone Preamplifier, 1 Hi-Z Instrument Input, Cubase LE Software, and Lexicon Pantheon Reverb and is 24-bit/48kHz.  If the OP is doing any semi-serious audio work, he'll be much better served by the Lexicon Alpha over that Creative product.  Creative makes good products for PC gaming, but I wouldn't turn to them for audio gear for doing anything else.

The whole idea of gaming/professional audio equipment is all marketing.

Audio is audio, okay, soundcards release sound frequencies to the ports, and speakers emit said frequencies. Creative has a lot of great products that can be used for producing music any day. I use a lot of creative speakers for music all the time (different series have different qualities which is good for testing what the final product will sound like on speakers with more treble, or more bass, etc).

Cubase in my opinion is over-priced, and has a very stiff interface. And a lesser version of it would be worthless. That's another aspect of marketing; adding little useless freebies to attract the consumer to buy it.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 07:51:49 »
I have an ASUS Xonar DX, which is a fine card. Not sure how well it would work under OS X.

Offline nraymond

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 11:48:39 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;413676

Audio is audio, okay, soundcards release sound frequencies to the ports, and speakers emit said frequencies. Creative has a lot of great products that can be used for producing music any day. I use a lot of creative speakers for music all the time (different series have different qualities which is good for testing what the final product will sound like on speakers with more treble, or more bass, etc).

Cubase in my opinion is over-priced, and has a very stiff interface. And a lesser version of it would be worthless. That's another aspect of marketing; adding little useless freebies to attract the consumer to buy it.

To some extent the difference between consumer/gaming and professional audio is marketing, sure, but do not underestimate the way that some consumer/gaming audio technologies can significantly undermine good sound, for instance Creative's "Crystalizer" technology:

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi-part2.html

When I don't know the experience or knowledge level of someone asking for advice, I try to give them the most straight forward suggestion, and since recommending consumer/gaming audio for what sounds like more of a pro audio task would come with extra caveats and gotchas, I recommended something more straightforward.

Your advice is not good or coherent advice - the relevance of you testing with multiple sets of different creative speakers really doesn't apply in this case and makes little sense to bring up.  I'm not sure why you brought up software, either.  I did a copy-paste of the description of the Lexicon Alpha because it appeared to me that people responding to my suggestions were too lazy to follow the links I posted and read them.  What you should have been able to take away from what I copied/pasted is that hardware/software package of the Lexicon Alpha is not insubstantial, especially for $60, and represents a decent value.

Has the OP even been back to this thread?  If not, we're all just wasting our time anyway.

Offline EverythingIBM

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 06:32:53 »
Quote from: ripster;414471
All the OP needed was an extra input.

This happens a LOT at Geekhack.  Must be a programmer thing.  Explains why code is so bloated these days.

Geekhack is all about solving simple problems the "Rube Goldberg" way, that's how we roll.

Offline eyesnine

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 17:18:15 »
E-MU 0404 PCIe and 1212 PCIe are two options, and good value, though still quite expensive.

PCIe has much lower latency, and uses less CPU than comparable USB audio interfaces.

If you really need low latency PCI/PCIe still outperforms everything.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 23:44:12 »
Quote from: ripster;408251
PCI for multichannel.  *****es love 7.1.

Sig>Gadget Reviews>Audio>Claro HT Omega

But not cheap.

I've got that same audio card in one of my media pcs and I love it.

to the OP, asus makes some good $30 PCIe cards, check newegg
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2012, 23:53:36 by RiffRaff »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 23:52:09 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;413676

I hate to say this but you're very wrong. Professional audio cards are designed to do more of the signal processing on the card itself. Higher end cards also have better DAC then cheap cards do, just read the reviews for some of the claro ht cards. In addition, as the number of channels, input or output goes up, so does the price.

I haven't seen many 16 channel audio cards on the cheap lately have you? Check out audioscience cards and you'll see what I'm talking about. There is a huge difference between professional vs general consumer audio cards.

The same can be said for video cards.... :smile:

I built a Rivendell box for my old college radio station, and that audioscience card wasn't cheap.

I don't get this, you feel it's overpriced for its offerings but feel a lesser version is worthless? Someone has to write all that software, even the useless ad-ones you mention and most people don't work for free these days. I still think audicaty is great, but it's obviously limited in comparison to Cubase.

Marketing is about communicating your product to the client. I haven't seen a Cubase commercial on TV lately, have you?
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:10:00 by RiffRaff »

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 13:54:03 »
Isn't it better to get some external USB DAC instead?
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline NamelessPFG

Cheap PCI-E sound cards
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 17:05:17 »
Quote from: czarek;498837
Isn't it better to get some external USB DAC instead?
Only if you don't plan on gaming at all, in which case it's better to have a sound card in the chain for DSP features and output S/PDIF into an external DAC. Doesn't even have to be a particularly high-end one, just so long as it has the DSP features you're looking for; after all, you're bypassing its analog stage anyway.