Author Topic: Hai Hai! Just another I'm new thread =)  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Farsiite

Hai Hai! Just another I'm new thread =)
« on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:15:50 »
hi! while this will be my first actual post on these forums. i've actually been lurking like crazy (or so it feels) for a few weeks now. something oddly addicting when it comes to the world (yeah, world. i only just recently how in depth and hardcore keyboard technology got) of mechanical keyboards.

anyways. on to the point. i gamed HEAVILY on a 15 inch laptop scissor switch keyboard for over 4 years. i just recently switched over to a desktop. my muscle memory was soo developed and used to the compact layout of my laptops keyboard that i said "screw it" and went to fry's and bought a wireless scissor switch keyboard with a similar layout too it because i was soo used to how typing and gaming on my laptop felt. i didn't want to "relearn" and re develop my muscle memory for a standard layout. my laptop keyboard always worked out well for me. or so i thought at least.

anyways. i'm an avid starcraft 2 player. high masters throughout, although i haven't consistently solo'd since season 1 though. somehow i stumbled accros what hardware pros used on the teamliquid forums or something and read something real brief about mechanical keyboards. basically just breezed or skimmed over it and said whatever to myself when i saw it if you know what i mean. thing is. mechanical keyboards just in general throughout the community kept popping up more and more often i saw. don't ask me how. but i stumbled upon this website. it was probably motivated by the fact that my "laptop esque" mini wireless keyboard wasn't really satisfying me. i'm not particularly picky , [(or so i'd like to think lol ) so the thing just flat out wasn't going to work out if i was having troubles with the same thing still.anyways....

commence project "BLOWING MY MIND OPEN TO THE WORLD OF MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS." i was soo hooked on lurking this site as well as gathering outside information such as the mechanical keyboard guide over at overclock.net that i basically studied up on mechanical keyboards for a good 2 weeks or so i'd guess. my only real reluctance in regards to maybe getting one was the steep price most mechanicals go for. if i were to tell a good bunch of the people i socialize with how much i spent on a keyboard recently they'd look at me like i was crazy for instance.

to make an extremely tl;dr OP thread short for your guys sakes. i ended up buying a cherry g80-3494 mx red switch board for $170. i also spent $40 on a g81-1138hbu ( a MY switch board ) for the doubleshotted off white colored keykaps to use on the g80. (yes i'm aware i spent well than more than what i could have potentially have on both boards or something equivelant but your guys god damn website broke me one night and i just splurged on ebay). by the way. typing on a MY switch board is an absolute horror. those things have to have be made with durability in regards to their life expectancy for POS or something as well as cheapness as their top 2, and probably only 2, priorities right?

in the end. OH MY GOD TYPING AND PLAYING ON A MX RED SWITCH KEYBOARD IS AMAZING. PARTICULARLY IN COMPARISON TO MY OLD LAPTOP SCISSOR SWITCH.

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN MORE PEOPLE WHO SPEND A SIGNIFICANT TIME ON THE COMPUTER HOW AMAZING MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS ARE!

anyways. hope this wasn't tl;dr for too many of you guys. thx =P

p.s. interesting little tidbit. after having ordered my g80 and g81 kap harvest board i went looking through my families old computer crap while it was being shipped here. this god damn website got me hooked on mechanical keyboards like it was crack cocaine i swear. and i couldn't ever rationalize to anybody why lol. either way. i found a old full sized 1994 ibm model m buckling spring switch board of my dads and started using it while my new boards were being shipped. ( also sexy as hell to type on. however a model m buckling spring board isn't exactly ideal for what i gauged my preferences in a keyboard to be after all my studying, in the gaming department at least. but still badass nonetheless from everything i've gathered and read about mechanical keyboard history. )

oh, and yes i know prolly tl;dr.
and be nice pweeze =) i'm new =)

p.p.s.    here's a link to a casted youtube game of mine with 22k views in which i end up losing the game for my side by accidentally nuking both mine and my allies 200 supply armies in a spectacularly embarrassing fashion.  point of information. this game was played when i was still using my laptop trying to game on that tiny 15 inch screen in my defense. either way. i might be half retarded for legitimately forgetting that i dropped a nuke in that spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cFcQ8pvaIU&feature=player_embedded#at=1320

I'm Far fyi. cherry mx red switches are sexy. that is all.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2011, 07:36:18 by Farsiite »
 CHERRY G80-3494LYCUS-2 with G81-1138 HBU doubleshots    

Offline agor

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:51:45 »
wlcm 2 gh
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline Tohveli

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:59:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack great to  see you got a casted game if you really like the small layout but want cherry reds then have a look at the noppoo choc mini. Also be sure to check out SirClickAlot/MrInterFace sinklist if you want to try different kind of switches. Here's the link to his website: http://www.mrinterface.com/
Current stuff: Logitech G11(Rubber domes FTW!!!!...not), Logitech G500(Prediction/form FTW!!!...not), Puretrak talent
In the mail: Zowie Mico and Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless
Do want: Vortex Race

Offline Farsiite

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 04:03:19 »
Quote from: Tohveli;379400
Welcome to Geekhack great to  see you got a casted game if you really like the small layout but want cherry reds then have a look at the noppoo choc mini. Also be sure to check out SirClickAlot/MrInterFace sinklist if you want to try different kind of switches. Here's the link to his website: http://www.mrinterface.com/content/sinklist-stb-switch-try-board

ahhh. cool. thanks for the reply. i'm pretty sure i'm going to stick with the standard layout and try to learn it. because well, it's standard. the next thing i might be interested in acquiring, a good ways into the future that is though,  is the das ultimate with browns. partially for the elitism of the blank keykaps as well as the all around general appeal and praise the brown switches get.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2011, 04:24:42 by Farsiite »
 CHERRY G80-3494LYCUS-2 with G81-1138 HBU doubleshots    

Offline bace

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 08:33:38 »
lol crucial nuke.
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 11:19:48 »
Quote from: Farsiite;379385
PLEASE ENLIGHTEN MORE PEOPLE WHO SPEND A SIGNIFICANT TIME ON THE COMPUTER HOW AMAZING MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS ARE!

Oh, I try. I even offer to let people borrow my spares (I have more or less one exact same spare of every board I have) so they can try to use a mech board for a while. They pretty much never do.

But yeah, try to keep in mind that even though cherry is one of the very few making new stuff for new boards, they are not the only kind of switch that exists. You should try some others as well. I like that you already got a model m (for free, no less).
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)