Author Topic: Reassign Unicomp Terminal 122 keys  (Read 2115 times)

Offline hglazm

Reassign Unicomp Terminal 122 keys
« on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:27:54 »
So I got a Unicomp 122 Terminal keyboard, after talking with the guy on the phone asking about it, he said that the extra keys would in fact be recognized by windows without special software.
He had SAID they would use something like shift+f1, but it turns out that both the F1 key and the key directly above use the F1 key command.  So I cannot use sharpkeys for this venture.
Does anybody have any experience with this, or ideas on how to reassign the keys?  Microsoft has a keyboard layout creator, but I dont know if I can affect the F keys with it.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:32:04 »
I seem to remember that there is a jumper on the controller that actually controls that behavior.

And if yours is sending F1 for both F1 and F13, you need to contact Unicomp (assuming that's where you purchased it) because something is seriously wrong. It definitely shouldn't be doing that.

How did you test for it?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline hglazm

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:36:41 »
Quote from: theferenc;379660
I seem to remember that there is a jumper on the controller that actually controls that behavior.

And if yours is sending F1 for both F1 and F13, you need to contact Unicomp (assuming that's where you purchased it) because something is seriously wrong. It definitely shouldn't be doing that.

How did you test for it?
I opened sharpkeys and hit the "type key" button to see which key was doing what.
Is there a more proper way of testing what key is sending what signal?

Okay, I went and downloaded "passmark keyboard test" and thankfully there was already the correct layout.  Using that, it IS showing that the extra keys have various modifiers applied to them, so they're not the exact same keycode.

However that still leaves the question of how to reassign them, since sharpkeys evidently doesnt work with modifiers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:52:11 by hglazm »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:34:37 »
Neither does AHK. Let me see if I can find that article about the jumper. Maybe ripster will pop in here and he will know.

Did you order it direct from Unicomp? If you did, you can always give them a call and say you made a mistake, you don't want the PC/5250 model, but rather the Emulator model. They may be willing to work with you to swap it out, though you'd likely have to pay shipping.

Edit: Here we go, this is one of the member's summations of the thread here at geekhack.

Hope that helps!
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline hglazm

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:50:58 »
I did in fact order it directly from unicomp.  How would getting the emulator model help?  Also I'd prefer to stray away from swapping, considering it took them almost a full month to get this to me e.e

I guess I'll check out the jumper thing.
EDIT: Also uh, that link, very useful, but how would you accomplish the key remappings in windows?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:54:32 by hglazm »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 16:03:54 »
Oh, I use keytweak and store them in the registry. I have one on my windows box, one on my linux workstation.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20714[/ATTACH]

And I have a LOT more remaps than the average person, as you can see in the attached image. Those are IBM 1397000 models, which are the equivalent of Unicomps 3270 layout emulator with ps/2.

Then for the extra keys (F13-F24), you can use AHK or Sharpkeys, or whatever to map them to macros. But Windows recognizes them as being pressed, and as being unique.

And the Emulator model sends unique scan codes, that's the difference. And I'm pretty sure that's the difference in the models, as I believe they all have the same controllers. Though that's just from things Chuck and Jim have mentioned at different times when I've called.

Offline hglazm

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 16:19:11 »
Alright, so I should check for the jumper, and if its not there/that doesnt do any good, call up and ask for a swap.
Proooobably should've read into this a bit more.  Though I guess at the end of the day I don't lose any money over it, since their keyboards all cost the same.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 16:35:20 »
Hopefully, yes. The jumper *should* be there. If it isn't...I'm not sure what you can do about it other than calling Unicomp.

Offline JohnElliott

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 16:45:55 »
Quote from: theferenc;379738
Hopefully, yes. The jumper *should* be there. If it isn't...I'm not sure what you can do about it other than calling Unicomp.

When this came up before, there was a suggestion that unplugging the ROM at U3 might have the same effect.

(And if anyone can make a dump of that ROM, I think it might be quite interesting).