Author Topic: CST L-Trac / L-Trac-X Trackball  (Read 1517 times)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (0)
CST L-Trac / L-Trac-X Trackball
« on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 23:07:49 »
Honestly don't know too much about them, but I'd like to try one out if someone would like to part with theirs or upgrade to a newer one.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2011, 01:35:16 by aggiejy »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 08:27:22 »
How much are you looking to spend on it?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline jpc

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 09:12:07 »
I have got a CST model 1550. That's an optomechanical unit, with the same form factor as the L-Trac. It is not super high res, but it works well with mild or even zero software accel.

I HATE the form factor on the CSTs. That's why it's for sale. $30 shipped to CONUS.

The wedge-shaped CST angles your wrist unnaturally upward. IMO it's not comfortable. It would be better if you could couple it with a palm rest, but the thin end of the wedge blocks a palm rest.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 11:08:46 »
I have it on the very edge of my desk most of the time, and with my elbows on the arm rest of my chair, the angle is such that my wrist is perfectly straight.

I do the same with my 1397000, with the legs up. It feels much more comfortable to type for a long time that way than any other way I've found.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:10:48 »
Quote from: theferenc;380889
How much are you looking to spend on it?

Heck, I don't know.  I guess it depends on the model.  I'd like a laser version, but I don't know what the used market is for these.  But make an offer. :)

Quote from: jpc;380903
I have got a CST model 1550. That's an optomechanical unit, with the same form factor as the L-Trac.

I was kind of hoping for a laser version, but this might work to see if I like it.  Do you happen to have a cool ball in it?  ;-)