Author Topic: PLU-g3000 NKRO with cherry mx reds (does anyone know anything about this keyboard?)  (Read 10599 times)

Offline Su-Chi123

Thinking about getting one in white. I've been browsing this forum but there doesn't seem to be any much information about this particular keyboard. Right now I have a 6vg/2 from steelseries, and I really like it, its just the keys are too hard to press for extended use (ie gaming), so I wanted to find something with red switches, which aren't too common in the states. These are available on ebay, so I figured it'd be easy enough to go about obtaining one.

So does anyone knows much about the PLU brand or this particular board?

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300573972638&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Welcome to GeekHack!

I haven't heard of anyone on here getting one yet.

Go for it. We love guinea pigs!

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
PLU is a relatively good brand, has decent reviews on Geekhack. Also, that eBay seller is a Geekhack member, and is friendly and always gets us the stuff we ask for! :D
I'd think that board has good build quality, and will likely serve your purposes.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Great board, black version has POM keycaps, white has ABS.

It's 2KRO, but in my experience (I have the 87key version in white with Reds), it doesn't pose a problem as most of the keys in the WASD cluster can be used during normal gaming sessions without a hitch.

for < $120 for a full 104key w/ MX Reds, it's a steal.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Daerid, are you sure it's 2KRO? It's marketed as NKRO, and qtan claims this one IS NKRO, as opposed to the ML-87....

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
special edition nkro
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Su-Chi123

Yeah I was hoping that was accurate, about it being NKRO. Honestly, I don't know that it would matter, but still a nice feature.

I found a review here http://fight.pcgames.com.cn/waishe/zatan/1005/1912233_1.html but it is chinese. Here is one sentence translated though that might indicate it's NKRO "Of course, not only new, but the two major breakthroughs. The first is a USB interface for the first time all key conflict-free". That's through google translate though, so obviously a little off.

I think I am getting it though, appreciate you's guy's help. I hope to write a review when it comes in.

Good to know qtan is a trusted geekhack member, and thanks for the welcome.

Offline HighNoon

Coincidentally, I just received my PLU ML-G3000 with MX reds from qtan's group buy. It is a pretty nice board, and is indeed NKRO (tested in AquaKeyTest). It has media keys which are nice, and the MX reds feel great.

I'm thinking about selling it because I also ordered a Filco from Amazon and I think I'll keep that. If you are interested in my board, send me a PM. I live in Texas, so if you're in the US shipping would be pretty cheap and quick. My keyboard has a black body though, so if you're only interested in the white one go ahead and order from qtan.

Good luck!

Offline Su-Chi123

Yeah I am going to get the white, and I have placed the order now lol. Going to pm anyway bc I am curious about getting one for a friend as a gift =D

Offline Mr. Perfect

From the Chinease review it looks like a plate mounted board, can anyone confirm that?
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline HighNoon

Quote from: Mr. Perfect;382336
From the Chinease review it looks like a plate mounted board, can anyone confirm that?

I own it, and can 100% verify it is plate mounted.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Quote from: Arcanius;382250
Daerid, are you sure it's 2KRO? It's marketed as NKRO, and qtan claims this one IS NKRO, as opposed to the ML-87....

I stand corrected. I believe the 104key Special Edition actually is NKRO. That makes it a double steal!

Offline Mr. Perfect

Quote from: HighNoon;382345
I own it, and can 100% verify it is plate mounted.

Alright, thanks. It looks like I need to learn how to solder, because no one seems to want to make a PCB mount board.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline vor

I'm also interested in the boards mx brown version (looking for a first mechanical).

Can you turn off the logo lighting?
Any major malfunctions you noticed with it?

also generally if a keyboard has NKRO over USB does that mean you're likely to run into compatibility issues with different OS such as Linux or OS X?

and will it work and retain NKRO over PS/2?

Not a lot of cheap 104key boards out there to choose from.
T_T esports meka (boxed) | In pursuit of mechanicals in the holy land

Offline grilkip

Anyone aware of the key cap compatibility with Filco? I have a set of engraved key caps that are supposed to fit the Filco, but I have yet to buy a board to put them on.
Filco tenkeyless (browns) - IBM Model M - Cherry G80-3000LSCEU (blues) Das Prof. S (blues)

ANSI FTW

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Quote from: vor;386157
I'm also interested in the boards mx brown version (looking for a first mechanical).

Can you turn off the logo lighting?
Any major malfunctions you noticed with it?

also generally if a keyboard has NKRO over USB does that mean you're likely to run into compatibility issues with different OS such as Linux or OS X?

and will it work and retain NKRO over PS/2?

Not a lot of cheap 104key boards out there to choose from.

no osx
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline vor

Found some more info on the PLU-G3000 keyboard.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22110[/ATTACH]

Review links (1, 2, 3, 4) originating from key.plu.cn

About the lit logo, it seems to be a "breathing" light, but reviews imply you can turn it off.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22111[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22114[/ATTACH]

No info about compatibility with other OS, guess it doesn't really fit in with the gaming demographic in asia.

Nothing on PS/2 either besides a picture showing it with a PS/2 adapter.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22112[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22113[/ATTACH]
T_T esports meka (boxed) | In pursuit of mechanicals in the holy land

Offline Dr_DX

Quote from: dante;387920
I'm interested in the answer to this also.  PLU one ups Filco on POM keycaps for the black version but only ABS for the white version.  Why not PBT?

My factory PLU ML-G3000 is White NKRO w/ Red switches and POM Keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 August 2011, 20:24:51 by Dr_DX »

Offline Dr_DX

Quote from: dante;394399
How do you know this?

Cause it is marked on the box, the back of the keyboard, and because that is what I ordered from Qtan5370.  I will try to post some pics.  He indicated that the white PLU ML-G3000 comes in ABS or POM.

Offline Su-Chi123

The one I received from Qtan is white and it is POM. So I guess you can get it as either.

BTW, update:

Got the keyboard a little over a week ago. Great so far. Red switches feel awesome. I was thrown off a tad coming off black switches, but it didn't take more than a day for me to adjust. Qtan is a great seller, he shipped quickly after I placed the order and delivered exactly what I asked for. I will try to do a review if I can find some time, or at least a video/pics. Anyways, I am glad I took the plunge and got it. It's working out very well!

PS. Red switches for sc2 feels great, and way easier on your hands if you play lots of games or have fast apm/spamalot.

Offline Dr_DX

Here are the pics I promised.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23610[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23611[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23612[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23613[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23614[/ATTACH]

I like it a lot.  As mentioned before, it has full USB NKRO, it uses wire stabilizers and the larger keys and space bar rattle, it uses a single-sided PCB, white plate mounted, and the USB cord is a little short (only about 5').  It doesn't seem to have the "breathing" led that was posted earlier in this thread.  I don't know what the led backlit right windows key does, so if someone knows, please tell me.  (disabled when the led is on?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2011, 22:35:36 by Dr_DX »

Offline Dr_DX

Here are some more pics:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23636[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23637[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23638[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23639[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23640[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23641[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23642[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23643[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23644[/ATTACH]

Offline GN_X

Quote from: Dr_DX;395715
Here are some more pics:

(Attachment Link) 23636[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23637[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23638[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23639[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23640[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23641[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23642[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23643[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 23644[/ATTACH]

Question!

What does the P button with the powersave icon thingy do? Is that for the leds?

And finally what does the crossed out windows key do?

Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2011, 19:32:12 by GN_X »

Offline Skull_Angel

Quote from: GN_X;405183
Question!

What does the P button with the powersave icon thingy do? Is that for the leds?

And finally what does the crossed out windows key do?

Thank you. :)

the P button activates the media keys like the Fn button on a laptop and the crossed out windows key enables/disables the left windows key.

recently received this board from Qtan's ebay page and I have to say it's pretty sweet for the price. the keys feel a little cheap, being so thin, but it's no big problem considering you're getting red switches, media keys, windows key lock option and what seems to be full NKRO through USB (/facepalm tested with aqua keytest).

Offline GN_X

Quote from: Skull_Angel;405199
the P button activates the media keys like the Fn button on a laptop and the crossed out windows key enables/disables the left windows key.

recently received this board from Qtan's ebay page and I have to say it's pretty sweet for the price. the keys feel a little cheap, being so thin, but it's no big problem considering you're getting red switches, media keys, windows key lock option and what seems to be full NKRO through USB (/facepalm tested with aqua keytest).

Thanks. I have this keyboard ordered from qtan's ebay page too. :)

Offline RiGS

It looks like a Filco killah.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Orient

PLU baords...there are quality problems, if you know Chinese..you can go to PLU's forums and ask their users about the board.. it's mainly a SC1 & SC2 community..

Offline RiGS

Like every other brand, even topre...
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
You think PLU and Topre issues are comparable?

Offline Skull_Angel

Quote from: keyboardlover;407064
You think PLU and Topre issues are comparable?

probably not in the least. that's not the issue with manufacturer forums though, more posts tend to be about product faults and problems than anything else.